U2 albums planned for 2009 remasters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Achtung Baby sounds too quiet and somewhat muffled in places. A good remaster will blow our socks off. AB is my favorite album. I think everything before Pop needs to be rematered. Pop onward sounds pretty good, although HTDAAB has some "noise" here and there on it. But seriously, listen to a recent album, then AB and you will see that the recording for AB is actually not that great by today's standards, even though the songs are amazing. Can you picture a cleaned-up guitar, bright and vibrant, on the remastered "Acrobat?" That would rock.

Acrobat should not be bright and vibrant.....

Pop onward sounds pretty good, although HTDAAB has some "noise" here and there on it. But seriously, listen to a recent album, then AB and you will see that the recording for AB is actually not that great by today's standards, even though the songs are amazing. Can you picture a cleaned-up guitar, bright and vibrant, on the remastered "Acrobat?" That would rock.

I think that U2's recent albums suffer a bit from the loudness war, especially HTDAAB. That is a horrible sounding album. WAY TOO LOUD!!! Many of today's (i.e. certainly post 2000) albums are way too loud. Too much compression, not enough dynamics (and often also too much treble and not enough mid-range). AND WAY TOO LOUD!!!
(think about this, Hopes & Fears by Keane is louder than Nirvana's Nevermind. That's not right)

So seriously, listen to a recent album (or if you want the big difference, take Californication by Red Hot Chili Peppers) and then AB and you will hear that the recording for AB is much more dynamic and sounding much better at higher volumes.

Thankfully, U2's remasters have stayed away from the loudness war and sound pretty good. So that gives me faith that AB will also sound good (and that ATYCLB and HTDAAB may sound even better).

Remember, LOUDER does not equal better. :)

They're going to have to do a rare volume-lowering remaster for HTDAAB. I can't listen to that album for reasons beyond the mediocre songwriting... the production was awful on everything except the tracks produced by Flood and Eno/Lanois (COBL and LAPOE), and the mastering is terrible throughout. Yahweh is entirely ruined for me by mastering.

If you think that I/we don't understand, then explain!

AB is mixed better (IMHO) than any album the band has released this decade, so I remain skeptical that there is room for improvement.

Remaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's a good place to start. It talks a little about how "digitally remastered" isn't a real remaster, it's all about transfer. There may be slight remixes, like mixing the intro to Exit at a decent volume, but nothing to change the structure of the song.

Remaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's a good place to start. It talks a little about how "digitally remastered" isn't a real remaster, it's all about transfer. There may be slight remixes, like mixing the intro to Exit at a decent volume, but nothing to change the structure of the song.

Well, after reading that, I am convinced that I knew very well what remastering is. Was there something specific that I or someone else said that led you to assume someone didn't understand?

Well, after reading that, I am convinced that I knew very well what remastering is. Was there something specific that I or someone else said that led you to assume someone didn't understand?

You specifically? The Pop comment. You don't have to "understand" the album in order to remaster it...

I've heard a lot of comments like, "if the best of 90's is any indication I don't want them to remaster Pop", which leads me to believe many don't understand the difference. And not from you, but I've heard a lot of "is the JT remaster any different from the best of 80's mixes?" A lot of people confuse "digitally remastered" with a true remaster.

If you understand remastering, what could they possibly do to Achtung Baby to screw it up? What is your fear?

Achtung Baby sounds too quiet and somewhat muffled in places. A good remaster will blow our socks off. AB is my favorite album. I think everything before Pop needs to be rematered. Pop onward sounds pretty good, although HTDAAB has some "noise" here and there on it. But seriously, listen to a recent album, then AB and you will see that the recording for AB is actually not that great by today's standards, even though the songs are amazing. Can you picture a cleaned-up guitar, bright and vibrant, on the remastered "Acrobat?" That would rock.

I cannot wait for Acrobat's cleaned up solo.

You specifically? The Pop comment. You don't have to "understand" the album in order to remaster it...

I've heard a lot of comments like, "if the best of 90's is any indication I don't want them to remaster Pop", which leads me to believe many don't understand the difference. And not from you, but I've heard a lot of "is the JT remaster any different from the best of 80's mixes?" A lot of people confuse "digitally remastered" with a true remaster.

If you understand remastering, what could they possibly do to Achtung Baby to screw it up? What is your fear?

lol. It's not a question of fear. I just don't see that AB needs it.

As far as Pop. I didn't mean to suggest that I worry that they will start substituting in Michael Hedges mixes. I just meant that I think the band is in a place now which is more suited for remastering albums like Boy, October, War, UF. They understand what they did and were trying to do. I do not believe U2 even understands what the sonic goals on Pop were anymore. I question whether that suits them for the job of remastering it.

I think that U2's recent albums suffer a bit from the loudness war, especially HTDAAB. That is a horrible sounding album. WAY TOO LOUD!!! Many of today's (i.e. certainly post 2000) albums are way too loud. Too much compression, not enough dynamics (and often also too much treble and not enough mid-range). AND WAY TOO LOUD!!!
(think about this, Hopes & Fears by Keane is louder than Nirvana's Nevermind. That's not right)

So seriously, listen to a recent album (or if you want the big difference, take Californication by Red Hot Chili Peppers) and then AB and you will hear that the recording for AB is much more dynamic and sounding much better at higher volumes.

Thankfully, U2's remasters have stayed away from the loudness war and sound pretty good. So that gives me faith that AB will also sound good (and that ATYCLB and HTDAAB may sound even better).

Remember, LOUDER does not equal better. :)
I haven't noticed anything of the loudness issue of HTDAAB. If it's too loud can't you just turn the volume down? This probably sounds dumb but I don't know a lot about this.:reject:

I haven't noticed anything of the loudness issue of HTDAAB. If it's too loud can't you just turn the volume down? This probably sounds dumb but I don't know a lot about this.:reject:

To achieve the loudness, the recording is "compressed," causing a decrease in clarity and dynamics.

This explains it better than I can.

YouTube - Loudness War Educational Video

I'm not even gonna bother this time. He proved for me in the album forum already that he's not listening to anyone but himself.

You know.... you were rude then and you attacked and insulted me personally on that thread, so I'm not surprised to see you doing the same again now. Again, I'm going to show that I'm the better person and not return the insult.

Do you insult everyone in life who disagrees with you in any small way? Bravo! I hope it makes you feel good. :applaud:

My own ears, and having a dear friend who masters for a living...

Look, with respect: I could be wrong about AB, but if you don't give me anything more concrete to go on than that, I'm likely to go on being misguided, no? :hmm:

Surely we can do better than; "It is!", "No, it isn't!", "Yes, it is!"

Mastering is not an objective matter with the exception of clipping issues and what not...

So there isn't more I can say, except that there's a noteable consensus that exist :shrug:

king_rodney.jpg

Mastering is not an objective matter with the exception of clipping issues and what not...

So there isn't more I can say, except that there's a noteable consensus that exist :shrug:

There's a consensus that AB is badly mastered? Ok, if that's true. I am surprised though, cuz it always sounded amazing to me......:reject:

Could be great if they did Rattle And Hum with one disc all the studio tracks + b-side studio tracks and the second disc all the live tracks from the movie.

R&H Outtakes video for a DVD would be great. Edit it down to the best 90-120 mins of outtakes.

AND as far as bonus audio for the studio tracks - it'd be great if they FINALLY released a quality recording of "Wild Irish Rose". Such a great tune.

methinks this will be the Oct 2010 remaster. They recorded a whole lot of stuff in Sun Studios which hasnt seen the light of day. Expect AB remaster for 20 yr anniversary in Oct 2011

There's a consensus that AB is badly mastered?

Actually the consensus is that their albums in general are mastered poorly, and it's fairly suprising given their status. My friend is such an audiofile snob that he will rarely listen to U2's studio albums, he prefers live recordings because they have an excuse...

You know.... you were rude then and you attacked and insulted me personally on that thread, so I'm not surprised to see you doing the same again now. Again, I'm going to show that I'm the better person and not return the insult.

Do you insult everyone in life who disagrees with you in any small way? Bravo! I hope it makes you feel good. :applaud:

I wasn't rude to you then, and I wasn't rude to you now. I wasn't even talking to you in that post. And I did not attack you either.

The problem I have with you is that you are so narrow minded you refuse to even listen to anyone elses opinion. All you care for is your own, whether it's wrong or right(but ofcourse, it's always right in your eyes).

You yourself said in this thread that YOU don't see a reason for remastering AB. Me and BVS have TRIED to explain it to you, yet you still won't listen or at least try to see it from our point. This isn't even a matter of opinion, it's a matter of cold hard facts. Ask ANY musician, they'll tell you that AB is mixed quite poorly and could definitely use a digital remaster. THAT is what I mean with it has no use. You keep mixing up facts and opinions.

And I don't mind people disagreeing with you, but I do mind it if people are being obnoxious and just disagree for the sake of disagreeing. Open the blinds in front of your eyes. The world has more colours than just black and white.

I wasn't rude to you then, and I wasn't rude to you now. I wasn't even talking to you in that post. And I did not attack you either.

The problem I have with you is that you are so narrow minded you refuse to even listen to anyone elses opinion. All you care for is your own, whether it's wrong or right(but ofcourse, it's always right in your eyes).

You yourself said in this thread that YOU don't see a reason for remastering AB. Me and BVS have TRIED to explain it to you, yet you still won't listen or at least try to see it from our point. This isn't even a matter of opinion, it's a matter of cold hard facts. Ask ANY musician, they'll tell you that AB is mixed quite poorly and could definitely use a digital remaster. THAT is what I mean with it has no use. You keep mixing up facts and opinions.

And I don't mind people disagreeing with you, but I do mind it if people are being obnoxious and just disagree for the sake of disagreeing. Open the blinds in front of your eyes. The world has more colours than just black and white.

You were talking about me to my face. It was an attack and it was very rude.

I am not narrow minded. In the other thread you made a suggestion that I found ridiculous. (That U2 didn't do their homework.) Simple as that. You were exceedingly rude there and you are again now.

You may notice in my conversation above with BVS I have told him that I might be wrong and I have demonstrated that I am open to the possibility that the "consensus" could well be different from my opinion. He, however did admit that we are not debating objective fact. You say the opposite. Of course you do! You clearly have a violent and out of proportion reaction to being disagreed with, even politely, on even the smallest of matters.

I wonder if you are as foul tempered in real life, or are you one of those who treat online discussion like a video game, unable to comprehend that you are talking to real people who should be shown the respect and kindness due to all human beings? Either way, this is two threads on which I have now found your behavior to be FOUL.

Now can we please allow this conversation to get back on track, or are you dead set on hi-jacking this thread to satisfy your belligerence? I cannot see how your last two posts have added anything at all to the conversation.

Actually the consensus is that their albums in general are mastered poorly, and it's fairly suprising given their status. My friend is such an audiofile snob that he will rarely listen to U2's studio albums, he prefers live recordings because they have an excuse...

I definitely agree when it comes to ATYCLB and HTDAAB. Even NLOTH could have been better. I do see how the re-masters re-created the early albums in an amazing way. But I had thought they had done a sorta good job on the 1990s albums, especially AB? Well, I for one hope that when they re-master AB, Z, and Pop they do undergo the same amazing transformation.

Back
Top Bottom