U2 albums planned for 2009 remasters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't see why U2 would release Achtung Baby this year; it would make since for them to release it in 2011 to coincide with the 20th Anniversary. My guess is a Rattle & Hum release and Best of 2001-2010 this year, Achtung Baby and Zooropa in 2011.

Unless they can crank the album out Songs of Ascent in the next few months, we might get it in 2011.

I don't see why U2 would release Achtung Baby this year; it would make since for them to release it in 2011 to coincide with the 20th Anniversary. My guess is a Rattle & Hum release and Best of 2001-2010 this year, Achtung Baby and Zooropa in 2011.

Unless they can crank the album out Songs of Ascent in the next few months, we might get it in 2011.

There s no way in hell best of 2000-2010 is out this year. It still is 2010...

Hope they release this on blu-ray when they remaster it, maybe with some outtakes or a full concert (the B&W Denver show, "Save the Yuppies").

It'd be great to have official live recordings of Mothers of the Disappeared and People Get Ready which were played at both Denver shows.

:up:

I personally would also like to have the B-sides that were released with the singles from this album. The radio stations I listened to in the late 1980s use to play them all the time. Maybe we could even have the "Night and Day" single? Or would they save it for Achtung Baby?

Why not? It can still happen later this year. If they have nothing else left to release, I don't see why they couldn't do a late November release.

from U2.com interview, dated 2000

Edge: "We originally wanted the best of the 1980's to be followed by the best of the 1990's, but got sidetracked by a much more important project which was "All That You Can't Leave Behind." "All That You Can't Leave Behind" is our new album, but it's also the greatest hits, the greatest hits of the last two years of U2's life. We're going to leave the next collection until the dust is really settled on that work, because it's far too recent. It will be another few years before we feel that we even have perspective on the work of the 1990's."

I don't imagine the 2000s will be any different.

I'd rather have no album at all this year instead of another Greatest Hits collection or another remastered album. My AB album is fine, I don't need another one.

Of course, the best would be to have a new U2 album. :drool:

Why not? It can still happen later this year. If they have nothing else left to release, I don't see why they couldn't do a late November release.

Simply because they don't HAVE to make Best Offs anymore. The first two were only to fulfill contractual obligations with Island Records. They're not with Island anymore, so they don't have to make another best off.

And if it'd happen, it would be around 2012-2013 imo. It's far too early to judge right now.

And you sure your AB album is fine LU? You must have an entirely different one than the rest of the world then, as that album is mixed horribly.

They'll probably have some never released "leftovers" (not even from Axtung Beibi), add new lyrics, record vocals over it... and make it along the lines of waves of sorrow and disappearing act...

it'll probably go like this...

:edge: turns up distortion, sets echo pedals and then the wah pedal...

:bono: sings "Achtung Baaaaby....i cry like a baby -- wah wah wah waaaaaaaah...achtung baby... woe is we... woe is we... we're rich, overfed, old and powerful... but we're miserable, or we want to be-- as miserable as ordinary people could be... oh woe is we... we're rich, overfed, overpampered, overstimulated... our heads back in the mud, and we're stuck underground, we missed the subway and lost our sexy boots on the way... but you're, you're pure comedy-- Achtung Baby-- baaaaabby.... wah wah waaaaaah...." :wink: :wave:

It was supposed to sound "muddy".

True, but to say it sounds fine is stretching it quite far. If you hear the difference between JT and JT remastered, I find it really hard to believe that anyone would refuse AB the same treatment. And even so, if you don't want it, don't buy it. Don't deprive the rest of the world from it.

I'd like to hear my instruments apart. I like hearing a chord and being able to hear every single note on the chord. I don't really see a reason why they shouldn't remaster it.

I hear the difference on JT remaster (to be fair I really bought it for the DVD).

I'm just saying I like AB the way they meant it to sound back then...

True, but to say it sounds fine is stretching it quite far. If you hear the difference between JT and JT remastered, I find it really hard to believe that anyone would refuse AB the same treatment. And even so, if you don't want it, don't buy it. Don't deprive the rest of the world from it.

I'd like to hear my instruments apart. I like hearing a chord and being able to hear every single note on the chord. I don't really see a reason why they shouldn't remaster it.

hopefully the band will make it sound more pleasant while keeping that "murky" sound.

I hear the difference on JT remaster (to be fair I really bought it for the DVD).

I'm just saying I like AB the way they meant it to sound back then...

Well you can have a bit muddy sound, but that doesn't mean it can't also be detailed. They can keep that effect yet still give you a clearer overlay of the bass and guitar notes in specific...

Could be great if they did Rattle And Hum with one disc all the studio tracks + b-side studio tracks and the second disc all the live tracks from the movie.

R&H Outtakes video for a DVD would be great. Edit it down to the best 90-120 mins of outtakes.

AND as far as bonus audio for the studio tracks - it'd be great if they FINALLY released a quality recording of "Wild Irish Rose". Such a great tune.

Honestly, I don't see that AB needs remastering.

Pop: I'm afraid to let a band that no longer understands the album touch it.

But I do look forward to unreleased tracks for all the albums! :)

I'm hoping most for some old bootleg material/Zoo TV footage/a making of documentary with the inevitable Achtung Baby remaster. I don't really have any problems with the sound of the album itself.

R&H Outtakes video for a DVD would be great. Edit it down to the best 90-120 mins of outtakes.

There's some question as to who owns the distribution rights to the movie, so we may or may not see anything done with R&H the movie.

Honestly, I don't see that AB needs remastering.

Pop: I'm afraid to let a band that no longer understands the album touch it.
It's clear to me that many on this board are not really aware of what remastering means. Not just your post btw.

AB couldn't definately use some remastering...

Pop: it's just a remaster, not a remixing. So far U2 have been very true to that definition, even though I'm sure they've been tempted to do more. What makes you think they won't remain true to this album?

Achtung Baby sounds too quiet and somewhat muffled in places. A good remaster will blow our socks off. AB is my favorite album. I think everything before Pop needs to be rematered. Pop onward sounds pretty good, although HTDAAB has some "noise" here and there on it. But seriously, listen to a recent album, then AB and you will see that the recording for AB is actually not that great by today's standards, even though the songs are amazing. Can you picture a cleaned-up guitar, bright and vibrant, on the remastered "Acrobat?" That would rock.

There's some question as to who owns the distribution rights to the movie, so we may or may not see anything done with R&H the movie.

It's clear to me that many on this board are not really aware of what remastering means. Not just your post btw.

AB couldn't definately use some remastering...

Pop: it's just a remaster, not a remixing. So far U2 have been very true to that definition, even though I'm sure they've been tempted to do more. What makes you think they won't remain true to this album?

If you think that I/we don't understand, then explain!

AB is mixed better (IMHO) than any album the band has released this decade, so I remain skeptical that there is room for improvement.

Back
Top Bottom