U2 3rd leg great marketing move for sales

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beLIEve

Refugee
88 shows...with probably enough adds to get to 100 shows, all packed into 2005. Once this tour gets underway, we should see good sales spike in each part of the world as the tour anticipation builds up and then for several weeks after. There are still PLENTY of great songs to choose from the get additional hit singles out there, too. I think they've learned from the ABOY disappointment, as they don't usually release a follow-up single in Canada/U.S. just one month after the official release date of ABOY, and we're now getting SYCMIOYO in the U.S. when the song hasn't even been officially released in every country in Europe and ROW. I wonder if the SYCMIOYO delay in parts of the ROW is to get N.A. behind the song and therefore result in a truly global hit. Just an hunch.

With the tour, 25th anniversary single, and R&R Hall of Fame induction, U2 will be on the news, radio, and concert halls in just a few weeks! That will provide the 1st major comeback in sales (no Mullen apology jokes, please, as I'm gagging on that freakin' post!). This bump will be felt in N.A. from late March through end of 1st leg near June.

Then, ROW gets bigger shows and Snow Patrol (& others) from June through mid-August, bumping sales in anticipation of and for several weeks after each gig...a summer hit would do wonders, to, and the 25th anniversary single for late May just may be the song to do it. Regardless, if Interscope watches sales and single success close, like I said, they have plenty of ammunition for a continuing assault on the radio, and some great live material from the tour might be released if they want to keep Mercy/Smile/etc. for the next album. 2nd push maximises sales in Europe.

Then, with just a 3 week break, U2 are back in Toronto on September 12 and will be playing virtually non-stop until December 19. This is timed perfectly to give the album it's 3rd big push right during the critical Holiday selling season. A great hit during this time frame might be Miracle drug, as it pulls on the heart a bit and fits in the Holiday Spirit. Also, grammy nominations will be out, and all of this will be coming together in the same time frame. 3rd push should put HTDAAB over the 12M mark be end of year, IMO, but the album won't be done yet.

In February/March of 2006, U2 will win a few grammies, and they may very well finally walk away with Album of the Year (It's a crime that JT is U2's only winner...AB and even ATYCLB should have won both times). That alone may be one of the biggest, but shortest, 4th sales push in the next 12 months, so my prediction is that U2 actually cross 14M in sales with HTDAAB by April of 2006.

That's my take on how this will all play out in the next year, and despite the industry sales slump and downloading concerns, if Green Day can do it, then U2 can do it better. It may work out in the end to be a good thing that U2 has had to pull back in the last few months regarding album promotion & appearances, as the U2 assault that's about to begin will be relentless! Interscope may not have a clue when it comes to a singles strategy, but you just can't stop the magic and buzz that occurs once U2 takes the stage.

Anyone else care to make predictions on HTDAAB sales (shipments for this lengthy time frame) as of the 3rd Friday in April 2006? A little competition would be fun, which only us chart watchers would get, and I'm going to say 14.25M in sales by the said date. Any other takers? BTW, here is the entire tour schedule minus any future added dates.

NORTH AMERICA DATES
(Kings of Leon will play support on all dates)

March 28th San Diego, CA - Sports Arena, Sold Out
March 29th San Diego, CA - Sports Arena, Sold Out

April 1st Anaheim, CA - Arrowhead Pond, Sold Out
April 2nd Anaheim, CA - Arrowhead Pond, Sold Out
April 5th Los Angeles, CA - Staples Center, Sold Out
April 6th Los Angeles, CA - Staples Center, Sold Out
April 9th San Jose, CA - HP Pavilion, Sold Out
April 10th San Jose, CA - HP Pavilion, Sold Out
April 14th Phoenix, AZ - Glendale Arena , Sold Out
April 15th Phoenix, AZ - Glendale Arena , Sold Out
April 20th Denver, CO - Pepsi Center, Sold Out
April 21st Denver, CO - Pepsi Center, Sold Out
April 24th Seattle, WA - Key Arena , Sold Out
April 25th Seattle, WA - Key Arena , Sold Out
April 28th Vancouver, BC - General Motors Place, Sold Out
April 29th Vancouver, BC - General Motors Place, Sold Out

May 7th & May 9th Chicago, IL - United Center, Sold Out
May 10th Chicago, IL - United Center, Sold Out
May 12th Chicago, IL - United Center, Sold Out
May 14th Philadelphia, PA - Wachovia Center , Sold Out
May 22nd Philadelphia, PA - Wachovia Center , Sold Out
May 17 & May 18 East Rutherford, NJ - Continental Airlines Arena, Sold Out
May 21 New York, NY - Madison Square Garden, Sold Out
May 24 Boston, MA - Fleet Center, Sold Out
May 26 Boston, MA - Fleet Center, Sold Out
May 28 Boston, MA - Fleet Center, Sold Out

EUROPEAN DATES
(support acts noted where announced)

June 10th Brussels - King Baudouin Stadium, Sold Out
Support Act: Snow Patrol

June 12th Gelsenkirchen - Schalke Stadium

June 14th Manchester - City of Manchester Stadium, Sold Out

June 15th Manchester ­ City of Manchester Stadium, Presale March 2nd, Public On sale - Friday, March 4th
June 18th London - Twickenham Stadium, Sold Out
June 19th London - Twickenham Stadium, Sold Out
June 21st Glasgow - Hampden Park, Sold Out

June 24th Dublin - Croke Park, Sold Out
Support Act: Paddy Casey, Snow Patrol

June 25th Dublin - Croke Park, Sold Out

June 29th Cardiff - Millenium Stadium, Sold Out
Support Act: The Killers

2nd July Vienna - Ernst Happel Stadium, Sold Out

5th July Katowice - Slaski Stadium, On Sale Now

7th July Berlin - Olympic Stadium, On Sale 12/02/05

9th July Paris - Stade de France, Sold Out

10th July Paris ­ Stade de France, Presale March 1st, General Sale March 4th

13th July Amsterdam – Arena, Sold Out

15th July Amsterdam – Arena, Sold Out

16th July Amsterdam – Arena, Sold Out

18th July Zurich – Letzigrund Stadium, On Sale 14/02/05
21st July Milan - San Siro, On Sale 25/02/05
23rd July Rome - Olympic Stadium, On Sale 15/02/05
27th July Oslo - Vallehovin Stadium, On Sale 15/02/05
29th July Gothenburg - Ullevi Stadium, Sold Out
31st July Copenhagen - Parken , Sold Out

3rd August Munich - Olympic Stadium, On Sale 12/02/05
Support Act: Keane

5th August Nice - Parc des Sports Charles Ehrmann, Sold Out

7th August Barcelona – Camp Nou, Sold Out

9th August San Sebastian - Anoeta Stadium, On Sale 17/02/05
Support Act: Franz Ferdinland

11th August Madrid - Estadio Vicente Calderon, Sold Out
Support Act: Franz Ferdinland

14th August Lisbon - Alvalade, Pre sale ended

NORTH AMERICAN FALL TOUR DATES

12th September Toronto - Air Canada Centre
14th September Toronto - Air Canada Centre
20th September Chicago - United Center
21st September Chicago - United Center
23rd September Minneapolis - Target Center
25th September Milwaukee - Bradley Center

03rd October Boston - Fleet Center
04th October Boston - Fleet Center
07th October New York - Madison Square Garden
08th October New York - Madison Square Garden
10th October New York - Madison Square Garden
16th October Philadelphia - Wachovia Center
17th October Philadelphia - Wachovia Center
19th October Washington - DC MCI Center
20th October Washington - DC MCI Center
22nd October Pittsburgh - Mellon Arena
24th October Detroit - Palace of Auburn Hills
28th October Houston - Toyota Center
29th October Dallas - American Airlines Arena

01st November Los Angeles - Staples Center
02nd November Los Angeles - Staples Center
13th November Miami - American Airlines Arena
16th November Tampa - St. Pete Times Forum
18th November Atlanta - Philips Arena
25th November Ottawa - Corel Centre
26th November Montreal - Bell Centre

07th December Hartford - Civic Center
09th December Buffalo - HSBC Arena
10th December Cleveland - Gund Arena
14th December St. Louis - Savvis Center
15th December Omaha - Qwest Center
17th December Salt Lake City - Delta Center
19th December Portland - Rose Garden

Whatever happens, I'm really just thrilled to see U2 still putting out great music and selling out venues across the worldwide some 23 years after I first realized just how great their music was...whether this is their last hurrah or just the end of another phase in their unbelievable career (i.e., next album called Mercy in 2007 with worldwide "Mercy" tour to follow...easy T-shirts for Larry, unless they change the title to "All the Mercy I'll need to get into Heaven after they explode the Atomic Bomb, Baby", but I digress)...I am so grateful for U2's music and live shows that I'll be happy either way. Just soaking it all in, and with a November date in Atlanta, it's highly possible I WILL NOT miss the first tour since 1987! I'm buying tickets regardless, and if I can't even go in a wheelchair, then someone in this forum can have them at cost.

Cheers!

My predictions about 3rd leg

Aprox attendance with original list: 595,000

Aprox GROSS with original list: around 55 mill $

Aprox attendnce with additional dates (my prediction on 2nd page of another post in the Tour Dates forum): 830,000

Aprox GROSS with additional dates: 75 mill $ and, with 47 million of the first leg, U2 could achieve the most succesful Northamerican tour in terms of GROSS and one-calendar year.

We know that first leg GROSS 47mill$ and 2nd GROSS around 94mill$ with less than 20 shows, so the total GROSS for european leg will be around 155/160 mill$.

U2 can GROSS around 275 million dollars during 2005 !!

:drool: :drool:

Vox

Last edited:
i predict 13.5 million by april 2006.

thats a lot of money vox!

btw, gelsenkirchen, germany, 2nd european show? SOLD OUT. and im totally going!:wink:

beLIEve said:
88 shows...with probably enough adds to get to 100 shows, all packed into 2005.

1st leg, N.America: 29 shows confirmed
2nd leg, Europe: 31 shows confirmed
3th leg, N.Amrica: 32 shows confirmed

That makes a total of: 92 already and yes after the adds probably 100 shows or something like that...plus Asia/Australia/New Zeeland....

Re: Re: U2 3rd leg great marketing move for sales

phommel said:

1st leg, N.America: 29 shows confirmed
3th leg, N.Amrica: 32 shows confirmed

That makes a total of: 92 already and yes after the adds probably 100 shows or something like that...plus Asia/Australia/New Zeeland....

Not to nit pick, but it actually:

1st leg, N.America: 28 shows confirmed
3th leg, N.Amrica: 33 shows confirmed

A total of 92 shows so far and I expect as many as 25 more shows to be added just for this year. It is likely a few more shows in Europe will be added potentially expanding the total up to 40 there and the 3rd leg in North America is likely to reach a total of around 50 shows.

The shows in Europe a GROSSING nearly 5 million per night on average based on reports from Billboard Biz. In North America with Arena's, its nearly 1.7 million per night.

If the band were to do 80 shows in North America and 40 stadium shows in Europe, the total GROSS would add up to nearly 330 million!

If the band is willing to continue the tour well into 2006 in Australia/New Zealand, Japan, South Africa, South America, and a return to Europe, the band would potentially be able to cross the 400 million mark worldwide by the summer of 2006.

I honestly don't see how they could take the total in Europe from 31 to 40 ... I'm looking at the schedule at the moment and I simply don't think there are enough gaps. Although some scalper sites have tried to sell a third Manchester date, I don't believe it, but let's count that anyway. One extra Manchester, Glasgow, Dublin, Cardiff, Amsterdam ... that's only up to 36, and I doubt even half of those will be added. Maybe one more could be fit in at Rome, and maybe after the last show in Lisbon, but by then, the band will want a rest before starting the third leg.

Axver said:
I honestly don't see how they could take the total in Europe from 31 to 40 ... I'm looking at the schedule at the moment and I simply don't think there are enough gaps. Although some scalper sites have tried to sell a third Manchester date, I don't believe it, but let's count that anyway. One extra Manchester, Glasgow, Dublin, Cardiff, Amsterdam ... that's only up to 36, and I doubt even half of those will be added. Maybe one more could be fit in at Rome, and maybe after the last show in Lisbon, but by then, the band will want a rest before starting the third leg.

Glasgow June 22
Dublin June 27
Cardiff June 30
Vienna July 3
Rome July 24
Copenhagen August 1
Madrid August 12
Lisbon August 15

It is technically possible that the above 8 shows could be added. This would put the total number of European shows at 39.

STING2 said:

Glasgow June 22
Dublin June 27
Cardiff June 30
Vienna July 3
Rome July 24
Copenhagen August 1
Madrid August 12
Lisbon August 15

It is technically possible that the above 8 shows could be added. This would put the total number of European shows at 39.

And Amsterdam on 12 July does indeed bring up the 40 you initially suggested. But do you think they will actually add any or all of those dates? In U2's history, when they have added extra dates, have they normally come quickly (like those that have already been added this tour), or is this gap normal?

Axver said:
Maybe one more could be fit in at Rome

i hope so but honestly i think that a 2nd Rome is very unlikely: i remember that when the 2nd Milan date was added every advertisement on newspapers clearly stated that no further dates would be added in Italy.

A local site here spoke to the promotor of Vienna show and they unfortunately said there is less than 1% chance of adding second Vienna night.

Wouldn't it be great to see them returning in spring for a 5th (European) leg? Like the Zooropa Tour...

I don't know why they always go to North america twice and don't go to Europe for a second leg...The market is much bigger in Europe, a second stadium leg would easily sell out. They could have selled out the Amsterdam Arena seven or eight times if they wanted! Maybe even ten times...

Back
Top Bottom