U2 3D - 2008 release date?? +

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I live in central Europe, there are no fixed dates yet, but we asked our local 3D cinema and they said they have the movie scheduled and will show it ... they just don't know yet when exactly.

Oh the waiting ...

U2SJ said:
Will this be the same film if you see it in an Imax theatre or just a regular digital Cinemark theatre?

You better hope so. We are not going to get the IMAX version.

IMAX is in LA and Sacramento. Not here in San Jose....

From what I have looked into, Oakridge Mall has 3D screens...*shrugs*

San Francisco has the Metreon! Imax and it's not playing there??? Daly City has the RealD 3dprojectors as does Redwood City, and the new century theater that opened last year near the Metreon!

I will be definitely cruising up to SF to see it at the Metreon, I am sure they will be playing it. I saw the Elevation concert there when it came out on DVD they played it.
Then, I will see it again and again when it comes to Cinemark. I imagine it will play at the Century Theatres or Santana Row.
Cant wait for this!!!!

ok I'm still a little confused on something...is IMAX 3D the ideal theater to see this? I live in So Cal, so if I see this movie at an IMAX theater, it will be 3D right? and if it's IMAX that means an even bigger screen? is this all correct?

U2Fanatic4ever said:
:hyper: :yippie: :happy:

I just bought my tix for the 1/23 showing in DC!! I am soo excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

:hug: and thanks LILA for that article!! very cool....and just made me even more excited if that is at all possible...

Me too!

We will be there at the 9:15 p.m. showing! Maybe a little earlier to grab some good seats since it is general admission.

Rob33 said:
ok I'm still a little confused on something...is IMAX 3D the ideal theater to see this? I live in So Cal, so if I see this movie at an IMAX theater, it will be 3D right? and if it's IMAX that means an even bigger screen? is this all correct?

the IMAX theaters themselves are not what is equipped with 3D equipment it's the film itself that is 3D, that is where 3D technology comes into play. Depending on the IMAX theater and their schedule is what factors in whether u2 3d is there or not. Any of the IMAX theaters can play 3D movies it chooses to.

And yes, the screens are huge! The screen at the IMAX theater I am going to is : 62.7 x 85.3 ft.!

Rob33 said:

Yep.

Pretty much an IMAX screen is a very large circular and in-your-face screen. No seat is a bad seat, well maybe the front rows. I'd sit in the middle or higher. It looks something like this...(a side view with screen on the left and chairs on the right)...

................/
............../
............/............._[
........../............_[
......../..........._[
....../.........._[
..../........._[
../........_[
/......._[

And if you want the in-your-face action, I highly recommend the IMAX. Otherwise you'll be seeing it on a regular sized rectangular screen still with the 3D effect, but maybe not so in-your-face if your sitting in the last row.

And yes it will be in 3D no matter where you go. That's how it was filmed.

U2@NYC said:

Me too!

We will be there at the 9:15 p.m. showing! Maybe a little earlier to grab some good seats since it is general admission.

hey... wish you had seen the thread in interference gatherings cuz a bunch of us are going to the 7:30pm show! You could of gone along with us and joined the party! :sad:

Maybe we'll see ya on the way out. :wink:

U2Fanatic4ever said:

hey... wish you had seen the thread in interference gatherings cuz a bunch of us are going to the 7:30pm show! You could of gone along with us and joined the party! :sad:

Maybe we'll see ya on the way out. :wink:

Oops!

Missed it.

My wife will be 7 months pregnant so she is easy to spot. :)

For L.A., it shows The Bridge theater in West L.A. (Culver City I think). But when you go to that site, you can't find the movie on the schedule :sigh:

also saw this:

http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS142263+09-Jan-2008+BW20080109

National Geographic Entertainment Names Best Buy as Exclusive Consumer Electronics...
Wed Jan 9, 2008 9:00am EST

National Geographic Entertainment Names Best Buy as Exclusive Consumer Electronics Presenting Sponsor for U2 3D Theatrical Release in U.S.

LAS VEGAS--(Business Wire)--National Geographic Entertainment (NGE) announced today that Best Buy has been named the official Presenting Sponsor and exclusive consumer electronics partner for the "U2 3D" theatrical release in the United States. The film, directed by Catherine Owens and Mark Pellington, was produced by 3ality Digital and will open in limited release Jan. 23, 2008, in approximately 25 IMAX(TM) theaters and will go wide to national digital 3D theaters in February.

The movie, filmed during the South America leg of U2's Vertigo
Tour, captures the intimacy between band and audience in a unique, visceral way and establishes a new standard in 3-D digital technology.

"We are thrilled to welcome Best Buy as a valued partner in
rolling out this unique theatrical experience," said Lisa Truitt,
president of National Geographic Cinema Ventures, a division of NGE, the film's worldwide distributor. "What better sponsor to support this film than Best Buy, one of the world's most respected brands for providing cutting-edge technology products to consumers?"

Best Buy will be incorporated in NGE's expansive online, in-store, in-theater, radio and print marketing campaign for the film. As presenting sponsor, Best Buy also will receive pre-film credit for all "U2 3D" screenings and will be able to provide members of the Reward Zone loyalty program with access to Preview Nights at IMAX(TM) theaters in more than 25 markets.

"We are extremely excited to join NGE in presenting such a special cinematic adventure," said Barry Judge, senior vice president of marketing, Best Buy. "This sponsorship allows us to support new, ground-breaking entertainment technology while at the same time providing our customers with a completely new experience with one of the world's greatest bands."

"U2 3D is the first live-action digital 3-D movie ever produced,
and we are very happy that Best Buy is collaborating on this
ground-breaking endeavor," said Sandy Climan, CEO of 3ality Digital and executive producer, U2 3D. "We are pleased to have developed the filmmaking techniques and proprietary digital 3-D technology that are now allowing fans to experience music and motion pictures in an immersive way that we could only imagine a few years back. It is technology that will allow fans a new way to experience music."

"U2 3D" transforms a series of live concerts by one of the world's most acclaimed bands into a completely new entertainment experience. Owens, U2's visual content director for more than 15 years, and Pellington, who directed U2's "One" video, take viewers on an extraordinary cinematic journey, a quantum leap beyond traditional concert films and traditional 3-D.

I called the San Francisco Metreon and I was told nothing is booked as of yet, but they said there is a special screening being held by someone on the 14th there. He gave me the persons or company email address hopefully I will hear from them soon.

I thought this was interesting...

http://www.u2swisshome.com/shared/e/owicki.htm

"What can you tell us about the soundtrack of the film?
Well the soundtrack reflects the South American Vertigo tour. A few of the U2 classics are in this film, like “Sunday Bloody Sunday”, “Pride” and “With or Without You”. And of course, some tracks from “How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb”, like “Vetigo”, “Sometimes You Can’t Make It On Your Own”, and “Love And Peace Or Else”. I am not going to give you the set list of the movie, so you should check it out for yourself and go see the movie."

Maybe there is more to the setlist... hmmm :eyebrow:

As presenting sponsor, Best Buy also will receive pre-film credit for all "U2 3D" screenings and will be able to provide members of the Reward Zone loyalty program with access to Preview Nights at IMAX(TM) theaters in more than 25 markets.

Well, I already have my tickets for the DC show on the 23rd - would "Preview Nights" be before this? Seems awfully late to be planning this.

kkaider said:

Well, I already have my tickets for the DC show on the 23rd - would "Preview Nights" be before this? Seems awfully late to be planning this.

not on their website yet.. I just checked. I am a reward zone member and didn't see anything about u2 3d.

Zooropa man said:
I thought this was interesting...

http://www.u2swisshome.com/shared/e/owicki.htm

"What can you tell us about the soundtrack of the film?
Well the soundtrack reflects the South American Vertigo tour. A few of the U2 classics are in this film, like “Sunday Bloody Sunday”, “Pride” and “With or Without You”. And of course, some tracks from “How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb”, like “Vetigo”, “Sometimes You Can’t Make It On Your Own”, and “Love And Peace Or Else”. I am not going to give you the set list of the movie, so you should check it out for yourself and go see the movie."

Maybe there is more to the setlist... hmmm :eyebrow:

hmmm...I find it interesting how it says "And of course, some tracks from "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb," like "Vertigo," Sometimes..., and "Love and Peace Or Else"

maybe I am reading it too closely but didn't he just name every one of the HTDAAB tracks that were previously seen on all of the setlist links we have seen posted here...this kinda gets me thinking that COBL might be included?

blm said:
".....For U2 fans, there's nothing like watching intimate 3D footage of the band at an incredible concert in U2 3D."

I might just die from the anticipation.:hyper: :waiting:

But will it be playing on Long Island?

Rob33 said:

hmmm...I find it interesting how it says "And of course, some tracks from "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb," like "Vertigo," Sometimes..., and "Love and Peace Or Else"

maybe I am reading it too closely but didn't he just name every one of the HTDAAB tracks that were previously seen on all of the setlist links we have seen posted here...this kinda gets me thinking that COBL might be included?

I sure hope so. As well as Zoo Station... Until the end of the world.

Zooropa man said:

I sure hope so. As well as Zoo Station... Until the end of the world.

I'm not getting my hopes up, based on that rollingstone review where the guy specifically said that the director seemed to have something against Achtung Baby and that the film was not geared towards the diehard fan.

It will be great anyway, a little over two weeks away. :hyper:

Back
Top Bottom