Typical U2 Hater List (feel free to add)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well Thom Yorke is (certainly was when Radiohead were starting out) a huge U2 fan, so I wouldn't expect him to have anything other than kind words for Bono.

I just don't understand. I mean, sure, I've made comments about people/things I don't like before, too, who doesn't? And you're certainly free to state you can't stand certain things.

But I don't get why people waste their time making a big production out of starting pages/groups/what have you to talk about it. Only reason I can see is to vent and get things off your chest, but to go to all that fuss just to do that just seems kind of...pointless.

Angela

I agree. Perhaps instead of wasting their time it could be better spent on helping someone else. I don't get all of the hate.

Regarding Jay-Z in Scarlet....some people have said "Bono, when you include hip pop and rap in U2 songs, I stop loving you a bit" :doh: They may not say that seriously, but I hate when they say things like that.....

:wink: Bono: A man all women want to be with and all men want to be.

Simple as that, they're jealous because he's rich and famous and got a beautiful wife and they're spotty kids spending far too much time with the internet and their left hand to ever be successfull with either life or women.

:applaud: If I upgrade NOW, can I sigquote this?! It's the sentiment I have always held but put into the perfect combination of witty words :love:

:lol:

And there you go off again quoting random books you read. Why are you doing this every time? This simply stating pieces of information rather than answering direct questions asked or remarks made towards YOU. I don't ask Psychologists these questions, I don't ask about others either. I talk to you here, so I want to know how YOU think about this.

There you go again making out that what dullness I think is more important than an academic. You realize this comment contradicits your post earlier about you always valuing facts over opinions. When someone comes on here and asks a question about, for example, how you would rate Adam as a bass player and someone comments that for the type of rock music U2 play, then he's great, that's the end of the conversation. I read it in the book titled: Bass Guitar For Dummies which Adam himself referred to U2 By U2 which that terrible awful jealous bitter man authered.

BTW, your post also proves that you don't read my messages properly (but then I've gathered a long time ago that people fail to read messages properly). If you look closely I was actually agreeing with you. The way authors interpret results from experiments are different according to the type of text books you read. So what's the problem?

The Trevor thing? Yeah, that was a joke. Speaking of Trevor - I was just reading another thread here where the topic turned to how "Stand Up Comedy" was an example of how U2 ruin a song by re-working it. And yet "Touch" is miles better than "Trevor," and there are many examples of U2 improving songs by re-working them.

Facebook is even more popular than google today!

And everyone is glued to the internet these days.

So here are some pretty representative results:

U2 official fan page: 6 million + like this!

U2 sucks page: 6000 + people like this.

Really quickly in my head, my math may be off, but that is 100-1 in favor of U2!:lol:

Facebook is even more popular than google today!

And everyone is glued to the internet these days.

So here are some pretty representative results:

U2 official fan page: 6 million + like this!

U2 sucks page: 6000 + people like this.

Really quickly in my head, my math may be off, but that is 100-1 in favor of U2!:lol:

That really made my day, thanks. :up:

Most original one I got was

Hater: "They make whale music"

Me: "What!?"

Hater: "Yeah was in a mate's car and he put a CD on and it sounded like whales screeching, I asked him what it was and he said U2"

Me: (realizes he's referring to the beginning of WGRYWH and feels lost for a way of explaining out of this)

the most common reaction i get when i mention being a U2 fan is "oh, but you think bono's a douche, right?"

no, no i do not.

the qualities of a typical U2 hater:

1. hates Bono for decidedly vague reasons (he's a douche/annoying/full of himself/just wants attention). when one attempts to engage in debate with such a person, the hater has few if any solid supports but nonetheless will continue repeating his opinion.

2. thinks U2 sucks because of a recent song or album (usually Vertigo or Bomb) and have little knowledge of anything U2 has done before 2000. most who do reluctantly admit some of their 80's stuff isn't bad. knowledge of 90's albums or tours is virtually nonexistent.

3. are in a music scene which makes liking U2, one of the most well-known and successful bands of all time, not cool. typically hipsters, but this also includes people who listen to music that just doesn't really sound anything like U2 (metalheads, frat guys into jam bands and rap, etc).

note that i am describing a U2 hater, not a U2 hipster. U2 hipsters have many of these qualities, except their knowledge of U2 is excessive instead of lacking, and love nothing more than to complain about U2 because they just haven't been the same since Passengers. U2 haters, on the other hand, just think U2 are lame and don't really think about them all that often. U2 haters can be found anywhere; U2 hipsters can be found on interference.

the most common reaction i get when i mention being a U2 fan is "oh, but you think bono's a douche, right?"

no, no i do not.

1. hates Bono for decidedly vague reasons (he's a douche/annoying/full of himself/just wants attention). when one attempts to engage in debate with such a person, the hater has few if any solid supports but nonetheless will continue repeating his opinion.

2. thinks U2 sucks because of a recent song or album (usually Vertigo or Bomb) and have little knowledge of anything U2 has done before 2000. most who do reluctantly admit some of their 80's stuff isn't bad. knowledge of 90's albums or tours is virtually nonexistent.

3. are in a music scene which makes liking U2, one of the most well-known and successful bands of all time, not cool. typically hipsters, but this also includes people who listen to music that just doesn't really sound anything like U2 (metalheads, frat guys into jam bands and rap, etc).

note that i am describing a U2 hater, not a U2 hipster. U2 hipsters have many of these qualities, except their knowledge of U2 is excessive instead of lacking, and love nothing more than to complain about U2 because they just haven't been the same since Passengers. U2 haters, on the other hand, just think U2 are lame and don't really think about them all that often. U2 haters can be found anywhere; U2 hipsters can be found on interference.

My lord this just says it.

I always pull this trick on people - I'll go and play New Year's Day, or Numb, something that's hard to pin U2 on if they've got none of that knowledge of pre-2000 minus The Joshua Tree. It always works, they'll claim to think it's okay, or say 'not bad'.

Then you'll say it's U2. Or you'll play a song, they cant tell it's U2, and then you tell them and it's "oh, what garbage".

no, no i do not.

The categories and the descriptions of each are 100% spot on!!

As I was reading, I kept nodding and someone I know who fits into each category came immediately to mind.

Awesome post!!

no, no i do not.

This really summarizes it all :up:

no, no i do not.

Also gonna quote you and tell you this is a great post! :up::up: That is a bulls-eye. I was especially agreeing in my head with you about the 1st and 2nd points. Terrific post!

Which strikes me so incredibly funny given how many of those metal, rap, what have you artists look up to U2, or have covered them, or sampled them, or hung out with the guys, or something. Of course, not saying that just because an artist you like is a fan of somebody that means you should be, too, but it is strange that these people are fans of these sorts of bands and just think they're too cool for U2-well, apparently your favorite artists aren't even as cool as you, then, 'cause they do like U2.

I'll echo the others, you pretty much summed everything up so perfectly here. I too can find plenty of examples to fit your statements.

Angela

Which strikes me so incredibly funny given how many of those metal, rap, what have you artists look up to U2, or have covered them, or sampled them, or hung out with the guys, or something. Of course, not saying that just because an artist you like is a fan of somebody that means you should be, too, but it is strange that these people are fans of these sorts of bands and just think they're too cool for U2-well, apparently your favorite artists aren't even as cool as you, then, 'cause they do like U2.

Angela

yep. of course there are some haters within the music industry too, but i'd say U2 is much more well-respected than not, including by many artists you wouldn't necessarily expect. ie lars ulrich from metallica said he wants to play with U2, disturbed did a U2 cover (which was...a little unfortunate, to say the least, but at least theyre fans!), dream theater has done U2 covers (which strikes me as odd because i find their sound to be polar opposite, with dream theater being all about progressive technical complexity), trent reznor remixed U2, rappers like kanye and jay-z have played with U2, the arcade fire that hipsters love sooo much surely owe some of their success for having "wake up" played as the opening song for vertigo tour, etc... the list goes on and on.

Chatted about U2 and Bono to a guy at the office Xmas party, and apparently Bono is the worst kind of egomaniac because he did not talk about Edge's daughter's illness at the Australian Vertigo shows. When I pointed out that the band are very private people, his response was, well they're public figures who have no privacy, why couldn't Bono make something good out of it?

Chatted about U2 and Bono to a guy at the office Xmas party, and apparently Bono is the worst kind of egomaniac because he did not talk about Edge's daughter's illness at the Australian Vertigo shows. When I pointed out that the band are very private people, his response was, well they're public figures who have no privacy, why couldn't Bono make something good out of it?

That's about as ridiculous as it gets.

Some people.

no, no i do not.

I mostly meet this person who can't ever say why the don't like the music or even know U2 music.

Chatted about U2 and Bono to a guy at the office Xmas party, and apparently Bono is the worst kind of egomaniac because he did not talk about Edge's daughter's illness at the Australian Vertigo shows.

WTF? Dang, they barely made mention of it when it was actually happening!

What a knob.

Back
Top Bottom