Thoughts after watching opening night?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Agree - all the negative nellies on here are a bit annoying - they won't be like they were in the 80s/90s - Bono does't have the voice or raw enthusiasm that only a 28 year old can have - they do look older - but at least they are not going on greatest hits tours, at least they have the bravery to put themselves out there with new material, at least they bring something visually new to every tour - they will never be as great as they were the first time you saw them, (very similar relationship with them as to your wife, husband, or partner) but you can appreciate their effort and still appreciate the songs that, at one point if not still now, smacked you right in the stomach and made you smile, dance or shout. And oh by the way, you try to get Apple to pay you millions for your work in your 50s - good luck. I'm going to see them 2x on this tour and if nothing else will listen thankfully and appreciate the songs that I have enjoyed so much over the years.

Wait a second...this is the internet. You can't just come in here and talk with reason and logic! :hyper:

I always pictured the final tour occurring around 2020. Band members will be roughly 60, first album 40 years ago. Seems like a nice and neat way to wind it up. But yeah, Bono has aged like a normal man, but he is no Bruce or Jagger. He looks every bit of 55, and won't be able to do this much longer.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Fuck me just watched utteotw that screen is fucking nuts

Mikal only shows his face once the Nats start getting their shit together. :tsk:

A lot of good posters are returning for the tour, there's something to be positive about.

:love:

Hard to believe they were 7 games under .500 for a while!

Volcano will be closing every show by the time this tour is over. Guarantee it.
"You are rock and roll" is the new "how long to sing this song"

For me, the band was more ready than ever. Really.

And for the miracle not working, I blame (?) it's beat. It's not 4/4. It's like Breathe. I love Breathe, but it's too monotonous, it isn't jumpable. BUT the whole arena was singing.

I'm uploading my video of the first 2 songs, and you'll see the energy on stage.

Did anybody view the show from the cheap seats or have an idea as to what the "obstruction" turned out to be?

Can anybody answer this question for me? Is there an actual obstruction up in those seats or is it just harder to view the light curtains because you're kind of looking right up the middle of the runway?

Important because I'm going to be viewing two shows from those sections.

And for the miracle not working, I blame (?) it's beat. It's not 4/4. It's like Breathe. I love Breathe, but it's too monotonous, it isn't jumpable. BUT the whole arena was singing.

I'm uploading my video of the first 2 songs, and you'll see the energy on stage.

In person, what was your favorite of the new songs? Cedarwood looked amazing. I've always had a soft spot for Iris too.

I'm surprised at how much room was on the floor last night. I must have left my spot 4 times during the show to refill on beer and was always able to get my spot a foot away from the rail.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using U2 Interference mobile app

In person, what was your favorite of the new songs? Cedarwood looked amazing. I've always had a soft spot for Iris too.

Iris, which i HATE, was actually kinda good last night. But at the end bono tried for everyone to sing the "Be yourself" chant, and it didn't worked.

Cedarwood Road and RBW are just supreme, really.
The Troubles was amazing, but sandwiched between Pride and WOWY it just seemed weird. I'd put that one before Bullet The Blue Sky (another jewel last night).
The Miracle opening was great, wih the whole arena singing along the OOOOOHs... but them the song actually started and it felt flat sometimes.

EBW, just Bono and Edge was good. And Song For Someone wasn't the borefest I imagined.

I hope we get California tonight.

BD should just retire now. Even I Still... had something going on. And it's been a while since I enjoyed Pride as much as last night. It felt perfectly. The The Hands That Built America part was great too.

Really, I can say that this is one of the best shows I've ever seen, specially the first half.

Iris, which i HATE, was actually kinda good last night. But at the end bono tried for everyone to sing the "Be yourself" chant, and it didn't worked.

Cedarwood Road and RBW are just supreme, really.

The Troubles was amazing, but sandwiched between Pride and WOWY it just seemed weird. I'd put that one before Bullet The Blue Sky (another jewel last night).

The Miracle opening was great, wih the whole arena singing along the OOOOOHs... but them the song actually started and it felt flat sometimes.

EBW, just Bono and Edge was good. And Song For Someone wasn't the borefest I imagined.

I hope we get California tonight.

BD should just retire now. Even I Still... had something going on. And it's been a while since I enjoyed Pride as much as last night. It felt perfectly. The The Hands That Built America part was great too.

Really, I can say that this is one of the best shows I've ever seen, specially the first half.

Thanks! Glad to hear that Iris was good. And Cedar/RBW as well.

Yeah I watched the Bullet video on YouTube and wow. Just wow. Love that song so much.

I'm actually all about Song For Someone but it's probably because I just started dating a girl so it's in thar early stage phase that kicks all kinds of ass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is clearly room for improvement (which is not surprising obviously), but I dig a lot of the performances that showed up on YT/Interference. I was especially impressed by Larry. :up:

In the defense of the audience, that stage design is awful. You're forced to decide between looking at the band or turning your head to look at that screen above the catwalk.

The stage design is not awful. In fact it's pretty damn awesome. the band utilized the entire stage from the i stage to the catwalk to the e stage consistently throughout the night. In the begining the screen is a bit distracting but you quickly adjust and learn when to watch the band and when to watch the screen. By the mid way point of the show I was more focused on the band wherever they were. The screen naturally became secondary.

Sweetest Thing and Iris went over like a lead balloon in my opinion. Bullet kicked ass.

I 2/3 disagree. Iris was the first song they used the screen for and people seemed transfixed by it. I was with my brother and he didn't know the song but thought that part of the show was awesome. As for the Sweetest Thing that performance was great and I'm not even a fan of the song. Plus the crowd enjoyed the filming of it by the girl on the cell phone.

Bullet did kick ass!

I think Miracle has all the potential to be a good opener, but it has to be performed in the same key as the studio version. (I know someone mentioned that pages and pages ago and I don't feel like going back and looking for their post to quote them.) Frankly, I think the band has to mirror the studio version as closely as possible to get its full effect.

I enjoyed the hell out of it. This was the first opener I've seen. I'm not going to sit around and nitpick, because fuck it, I was at a U2 concert

Visuals were amazing. So glad i had seats. My guess is that obstructed or limited view seats are such because they're limited as to what you can see of the screen? Or with the screen you can't see one of the two stages, depending on what end you're on, if you're at one of the arena ends?

I have seats in an end section tonight and will miss seeing the screen. But will be closer to the e stage at least.

I forgot about Bono's ... interesting Streets lyrics. Ha! All I can do is laugh. What, am I going to be mad about it or something? Nah.

Okay, THIS is what I'm talking about. What is up with this. Invisible, at least to me, is the most anthemic U2 song they've written in the last 10-15 years. It's so full of energy, and there they are, completely handicapped as performers because they have to be inside some video wall prison, standing absolutely still as to match the visuals. Didn't they watch their own music video? I wanted Bono to reach down into the crowd - 'there is no them - there's only us' and now they're standing completely still hovering even further above the audience. This 'performing inside the screen'-nonsense is way to prominent in my opinion, especially for songs like Invisible and Even Better Than The Real Thing - the crowd looks dead but what is there to do when the band looks just as rigid :down:

I love how your'e complaining about a disconnect between the band and fans from a show you...... weren't even at? Trust me the connection between band an audience was as good at this show as I've ever seen and the truth is that video screen seemed actually under utilized to be honest. The amount of time the band members spend in that screen is very minimal over the course of the show.

I think Miracle has all the potential to be a good opener, but it has to be performed in the same key as the studio version. (I know someone mentioned that pages and pages ago and I don't feel like going back and looking for their post to quote them.) Frankly, I think the band has to mirror the studio version as closely as possible to get its full effect.

I'm trying to remember if the electric version they played last fall was in the original key or not. If it was, I remember that sounding a bit 'off' as well... so maybe the change was a result form that in the first place?

I'm trying to remember if the electric version they played last fall was in the original key or not. If it was, I remember that sounding a bit 'off' as well... so maybe the change was a result form that in the first place?

My other thought was that maybe Bono did want to conserve his voice a bit, not tire it too early in the show. Who knows really. I think it can be improved.

Sounds like people around here weren't fond of Breathe as an opener-- I was and I wish it hadn't been scrapped for the second leg of 360, because I got EBTTRT twice as the first song of 360 and would have liked to see Breathe too.

On another note, I think I'm spoiled from my memories of 360. The band was absolutely on top of their game, at least for the 360 shows I attended, especially in Toronto, the best show I've ever seen. So I think in my head I'm comparing yesterday's performance to the shows I saw late in the last leg of 360, and I know that's unfair.

The band definitely did a really good job playing to the folks on Twitter. I was following along during the first half of the show and it felt very intimate.

Wonder how many handjobs he was given to write that.

This is one of the worst posts I've seen around here in a long, long time.

Don't engage in actual discussion or say why, though, that's ok.

Just comment on GVOX saying equally inflammatory things!

Look, I have an opinion. Maybe it's unpopular here, but I'm fair. I liked the show, love U2, Bono and what they stand for and also strongly disagreed with something he said. I also said I am not judging or removing my overall respect for the guy.

I don't need your sarcastic 1 word replies in completely different threads and to completely different posters.

Yes, because Ferguson is the only police shooting that's happened in recent memory that we should think about when we talk about police vs public incidents. Every comment re: police shootings should be seen thru the lens of Ferguson. Most victims of police brutality were probably acting just like (or at least, looked like they might act just like) Michael Brown.

I mean, it's not like there's really a problem worthy of Bono commenting on during a song like Bullet. It's just a cheap limousine liberal trend.

Good grief.

:rolleyes: :down:

The "don't shoot bullshit"

WOW.

Always with the sarcasm and eye rolls and other stuff with you. How old are you again??

You never change.

I have an opinion and will say whatever I want. Ok? It's balanced and I respect Bono's right to say what he wants too. I just disagree with him here, like you with the tax move, ok?

No, every police comment does not have to be looked at in the context of Ferguson. As I've said, every incident needs to be looked at and investigated independently. And the police held to account if necessary. As I've said, the Charleston, SC shooting was one of the worst things I've ever seen!

"hands up, don't shoot" is a specific reference to Ferguson. That's what Brown was alleged to have said, that's what the main thrust of this movement was, etc, etc. So don't hit me with that about "right, all police brutality is looked at through that lens." It was specifically referenced by Bono, ok?

Also, acting like Michael Brown?? Most victims of police brutality, true victims, did not rob a store, get encountered by the police, go up to the cruiser window, pin a smaller officer in the seat, GRAB HIS GUN and struggle for it to the point it discharges, run away, realize you're going to get caught and run back at the officer full speed while being given verbal commands to stop.

Every incident is different. Unjustified shootings and true brutality are rare. The police are no different than they've been in recent years.

It's just the propaganda out there around Ferguson has made it look like there is some surge in unjustified actions by the police.

If there's 2, that's 2 too many and they need to be addressed. But let's play with fact, not myth.

I have an unpopular opinion here, but it am actually trying to have a civil discussion. I don't appreciate you and Cobbler pretending like I didn't acknowledge that there are problems with the police.

I NEVER said police are perfect or always justified or without blame.

I've yet to see any facts in any posts disagreeing with me on this.

Just personal attacks.

A person who has been here 7 years can't have an opinion.

Thanks a lot!

Political arguments thataway >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

a mod HAS already warned people not to start in on this here. I agree with him. Please - take it elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom