Thoughts after watching opening night?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i'm probably going to stop reading these threads because i want to try (likely in vain) to remain sort of spoiler free until Boston -- though i have the general idea of what they played and how it went and what it looks like.

but this is why i drink at U2 shows, especially the first one i see on a particular tour. as super fans, we tend to think to much, to be overly critical, to compare to tours past, and to worry about how others are receiving the show.

a few beers takes the edge off and lets me take the show for what it is -- a show by my all time favorite band finishing out their career.

Indeed.

I'll see you at the pub

Good post Irvine! I was guilty of caring too much about the setlist bitching and all the other bitching that goes on here during the 360 Tour, and it still gets me too. Taking a few months off from this place added perspective that I just need to stop defending the band around here and enjoy what I enjoy...and only visit the threads provide me a positive experience. Interference is what it is. There are some good people here, a ton of whining, but it is what you make it.

Here's to enjoying the tour, and if you're like me and feel that the bitching is way too excessive here, just let it roll off your shoulder and enjoy the band. :)

Was this the lowest amount of ATYCLB songs since that album came out? Elevation and BD were every night on Vertigo and Walk On/ BD every night on 360, right?

I have no idea what any of you people are talking about. What's all this noise and these videos?

Please do try and keep it down.

Oh, why does this place always look so blue? Is it a thing or is it just me...my eyes aren't blue so maybe it should look hazel. Though sometimes the sky is black and blue, yellow and gray. I have no idea what the F is going on anymore.

Just keep on spinning...

To anyone who wasn't actually at the show,

If you watched the concert via Periscope last night you all did yourself a disservice. This concert is meant to be watched LIVE to understand it. For me, I've never seen a concert like this in my life or heard a show this good (and I've been to over 200 concerts). The sound was like sitting in your living room cranking up U2 music through a high-end pair of speakers. As far as the visuals go - "WOW" that is all I can say.

Everybody, save your opinions for after you have actually "experienced" it :sexywink:

Going forward, I bought the $300 seats (Section 116, Row 5, Seat 109) and was sitting right in the middle of the catwalk with a jaw dropping view of everything! No matter where I looked it was a feast for the eyes. From the reserved section the transparent box containing the band and surrounded by all the incredible graphics is pure science fiction concert going.

Finally, I have to say that for this tour, the reserved seats appear to be the better option to enjoy the show than the GA Section. My friend was in GA and he told me the open floor is too close to the screen (I agree) because the band members move around the stages so much that large parts of the show are lost to the crowd hemmed in.

Last night, I bought a reserved seat for 116 again and sold my GA for tonight's show. I have to say that I haven't had my mind blown like this since ZooTV!

Incredible show and in the Top 5 of best U2 shows I've ever seen. :applaud::up:

It's different when you're there. It was amazing being close to the band (for most of the show, they do move around) and the energy from them was great. Those of you who are just watching streams or YouTube videos are missing out.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

It's different when you're there. It was amazing being close to the band (for most of the show, they do move around) and the energy from them was great. Those of you who are just watching streams or YouTube videos are missing out.

Agreed. Since you were at the show LIVE, you get it. Well said. :up:

Many of those watching may not live in a place near a U2 show happening or have the means to afford a show, so nothing wrong with peeking in imo.

The periscope feed I was watching had about 2000 people, and from their thank you's they were all over the world. Technology is amazing....

To anyone who wasn't actually at the show,

If you watched the concert via Periscope last night you all did yourself a disservice. This concert is meant to be watched LIVE to understand it.

Everybody, save your opinions for after you have actually "experienced" it

Agreed. Since you were at the show LIVE, you get it. Well said. :up:

Really? It's different when you're actually there vs. watching a crappy stream from a cell phone? You don't say.

Good grief, the tour is one show old. The overwhelming majority of people who are going to see this show haven't seen it, so what's the point of telling people they're "missing out". I think it's pretty obvious to everyone that being there is a vastly different, and better, experience than watching poor quality stream from an iPhone, or an equally poor quality YouTube video.

This video proves my point.

If you're on the floor, you are forced to choose between looking at the band on the stage or turning your head & body 90 - 120 degrees away from the band to look at the video presentation.

Just because the technology exists to replicate AT&T Stadium's center-hung screens at every arena doesn't mean it was a good idea.

Or learn how to multitask...

Agree - all the negative nellies on here are a bit annoying - they won't be like they were in the 80s/90s - Bono does't have the voice or raw enthusiasm that only a 28 year old can have - they do look older - but at least they are not going on greatest hits tours, at least they have the bravery to put themselves out there with new material, at least they bring something visually new to every tour - they will never be as great as they were the first time you saw them, (very similar relationship with them as to your wife, husband, or partner) but you can appreciate their effort and still appreciate the songs that, at one point if not still now, smacked you right in the stomach and made you smile, dance or shout. And oh by the way, you try to get Apple to pay you millions for your work in your 50s - good luck. I'm going to see them 2x on this tour and if nothing else will listen thankfully and appreciate the songs that I have enjoyed so much over the years.

Well said!! You've made best point of this entire conversation. :applaud: :up:

Mikal only shows his face once the Nats start getting their shit together. :tsk:

A lot of good posters are returning for the tour, there's something to be positive about.

U2 will refuse to perform until every phone is away and stays away, promising official audio / video / pictures if everyone is good. Maybe the crowd would appear less 'dead' (from some reports on here) if the band didn't feel half the crowd was looking at their phones during Streets.

Then I woke up :ohmy:

Who said anything about this being their last tour? Bono's only 55, McCartney is 73... I can see at least 4 more tours from them.

Seems to have gone down really well with the media. Haven't seen a bad review yet

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Oh good. Rolling Stone was climaxing about it, naturally, but I hadn't looked any further than that yet.

Are you the betting type?

haha! Nope, just saw a post a couple pages back saying how "seeing my favorite band finish out their career". Almost spit out my juice.

U2 isn't going anywhere, really. I think we have many more tours from them.

Don't think this is the last tour but also don't think we are that far off. They, or to be fair, BONO, is really not in that great of a physical shape. Compare him to somebody like Springsteen who is 11 years OLDER and it's like night and day. He'd keel over if he did a single 3.5-4 hour show. Also given how far apart the U2 tours are, you have to ask yourself how many can they realistically squeeze in over the next decade? Unless you're assuming they'll just be on tour and not spending 5 years to record an album...

Back
Top Bottom