The old, lazy, wealthy man's tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ha. You still think there will be a second album.

That's precious.

Bono dropped the "two album" surprise at the GGs/Oscars last year. He AND the band confirmed it when SoI was released. I was told multiple times that I was crazy to think there were two albums or that U2 would do a "surprise release". Yet U2 -did- drop an album out of nowhere as well as confirm the existence of it's sister. On the same day no less. They wouldn't have named the tour after BOTH albums if SoE didn't exist. It's gonna be released either right at the start of the tour or during it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

Bono dropped the "two album" surprise at the GGs/Oscars last year. He AND the band confirmed it when SoI was released. I was told multiple times that I was crazy to think there were two albums or that U2 would do a "surprise release". Yet U2 -did- drop an album out of nowhere as well as confirm the existence of it's sister. On the same day no less. They wouldn't have named the tour after BOTH albums if SoE didn't exist. It's gonna be released either right at the start of the tour or during it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

Ha. You believe things Bono says will happen.

Do you have the list of countries that U2 toured? I'm curious :)

Sure. It's actually from a draft of an article for U2gigs. I may finish it some day when I get the time - work and life are thoroughly getting in my way at present.

These are U2's stats to October 2014 (i.e. the forthcoming tour is NOT counted, and I am only counting full tour concerts, so no promo gigs, TV appearances, Bono-singing-at-a-pub, etc.):

Africa (1 country; 4 shows): South Africa (4).

Asia (3 countries; 21 gigs): Israel (1), Japan (19), Turkey (1).

Europe (22 countries; 661 gigs): Austria (6), Belgium (24), Bosnia and Herzegovina (1), Croatia (2), Czech Republic (1), Denmark (9), Finland (4), France (35), Germany (49; all pre-reunification shows were in West Germany), Greece (2), Hungary (1), Ireland (176), Italy (26), Netherlands (41), Norway (6), Poland (3), Portugal (6), Russia (1), Spain (16), Sweden (16), Switzerland (13), United Kingdom (227: England, 188; Northern Ireland, 9; Scotland, 24; Wales, 6).

North America (3 countries; 640 shows): Canada (57), Mexico (12), USA (571).

South America (3 countries; 19 shows): Argentina (8), Brazil (8), Chile (3).

Oceania (2 countries; 77 shows): Australia (63), New Zealand (14).

Total: 34 countries, 1,422 shows.

By way of comparison, here is a sample - a small sample - of other major touring acts, again as of October 2014:

Elton John: 76 countries
Metallica: 61 (plus Antarctica)
Iron Maiden: 55
Guns n’ Roses: 54
Lady Gaga: 53
Red Hot Chili Peppers: 53
Bob Dylan: 52
Bon Jovi: 49
Muse: 48
Rolling Stones: 47
Green Day: 41
The Cure: 38
David Bowie: 37
Pearl Jam: 37
Bruce Springsteen: 34 (three quarters of all gigs he has ever played are in the US)
Coldplay: 34
Foo Fighters: 34
Rush: 19
Garth Brooks: 10

Sure. It's actually from a draft of an article for U2gigs. I may finish it some day when I get the time - work and life are thoroughly getting in my way at present.

These are U2's stats to October 2014 (i.e. the forthcoming tour is NOT counted, and I am only counting full tour concerts, so no promo gigs, TV appearances, Bono-singing-at-a-pub, etc.):

Africa (1 country; 4 shows): South Africa (4).

Asia (3 countries; 21 gigs): Israel (1), Japan (19), Turkey (1).

Europe (22 countries; 661 gigs): Austria (6), Belgium (24), Bosnia and Herzegovina (1), Croatia (2), Czech Republic (1), Denmark (9), Finland (4), France (35), Germany (49; all pre-reunification shows were in West Germany), Greece (2), Hungary (1), Ireland (176), Italy (26), Netherlands (41), Norway (6), Poland (3), Portugal (6), Russia (1), Spain (16), Sweden (16), Switzerland (13), United Kingdom (227: England, 188; Northern Ireland, 9; Scotland, 24; Wales, 6).

North America (3 countries; 640 shows): Canada (57), Mexico (12), USA (571).

South America (3 countries; 19 shows): Argentina (8), Brazil (8), Chile (3).

Oceania (2 countries; 77 shows): Australia (63), New Zealand (14).

Total: 34 countries, 1,422 shows.

By way of comparison, here is a sample - a small sample - of other major touring acts, again as of October 2014:

Elton John: 76 countries
Metallica: 61 (plus Antarctica)
Iron Maiden: 55
Guns n’ Roses: 54
Lady Gaga: 53
Red Hot Chili Peppers: 53
Bob Dylan: 52
Bon Jovi: 49
Muse: 48
Rolling Stones: 47
Green Day: 41
The Cure: 38
David Bowie: 37
Pearl Jam: 37
Bruce Springsteen: 34 (three quarters of all gigs he has ever played are in the US)
Coldplay: 34
Foo Fighters: 34
Rush: 19

fantastic, thanks Axver.
Funny to see they never done China (or South Korea) and those close to Russia.
Don't know how U2 does as far as sales go in China, but there's a lot of people there. They could play at the olympium stadium...

Yes... but in reality... what other countries could they play at? The North Africa ones? Morocco, Algeria, Tunia, Egypt?

I wonder why the 10/3/97 Egypt gig never happened? Although didn't the Israel gig cause Edge to miss the (early) birth of his daughter? So it's probably a good thing for his sake he didn't have to hang around the Middle East for a few more days!

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Unless you're in Asia.

The long residencies (NY, Chicago, LA) all avoid any potential NHL or NBA playoff conflicts, but the shorter dates do not... Phoenix, San Jose, Vancouver, Boston Toronto and Montreal all have potential playoff conflicts at the time their shows take place...

Boston and Toronto are in July, NHL and NBA playoffs both end in June, so no conflict there.

Its pretty sad when i have been to as many countries as Garth Brooks.

& i agree with the OP. I haven't like this tour model from the beginning. 8 nights in NYC, and so on, but not one damn show anywhere in the middle of the country (im not counting Chicago).

Oh well i can save my money i suppose.

To use the word "lazy" to describe anything about U2 is ridiculous. 39 years of touring all over the world, hundreds of songs, videos, interviews. And they are still doing it, still putting their heart and soul into it. And the overprivileged first world fans can never get enough. They don't owe you anything.

To use the word "lazy" to describe anything about U2 is ridiculous. 39 years of touring all over the world, hundreds of songs, videos, interviews. And they are still doing it, still putting their heart and soul into it. And the overprivileged first world fans can never get enough. They don't owe you anything.

They are lazy, compared to Elton John, it would seem:lol:

EXACTLY!

People are bound to complain here about anything they do. Like others have pointed out here, people were all about longer stays in cities and yes, in fact, residencies back on 360 when they were doing stadiums.

U2 are damned if they do, damned if they don't, even with their hardcore fans. It blows my mind. Of course, I have my criticisms, but they're in perspective to other things in life (like people unable to eat, attain health care, live past 20, walk outside without fear of being raped or killed by ISIS etc). They're also in perspective to what you mentioned- that U2 continue to work their asses off to present what they believe is their best and most genuine work at any given time.

This is not laziness. It's a different formula to tour with and it is one that is conducive to doing exactly what people have asked for most here for years- shaking up the set lists!

And there will definitely be more than 2 legs, possibly up to 7 if the past is any indication. So there is absolutely no way that they don't do substantially more cities in 2016- America and Europe have nothing at all to worry about. As Ax points out, the only fans with a real ax to grind are those in the Middle East and parts of Asia.

All that being said, I completely understand the frustration of having to travel to see U2 and the logistics and financial issues. It makes it impossible for some fans to see them and it sucks. But that will happen on every single tour. Perspective is necessary- I am in the U2 capital of America- Boston- and I had to travel to see the 2011 leg of 360. The closest shows to me were Montreal (325 miles) and Philadelphia (400 plus miles). No problem as far as getting there fast goes- easy, all highway driving to both, but I spent ALOT of money on gas, hotels and going out to eat while I was there. In addition, obviously to the tickets.

Everyone hang in there and trust that by the end of this tour, they'll be as close to you as they've been on previous tours at some point.

I'm more than excited for this tour. Just look at the variety of material played on Vertigo and that wasn't even billed as a night to night different show experience like this is! I am also a big fan of early 1980s U2 and I think they'll be showcasing a good amount of tunes from Boy-October-War this time around so all the better.

I also think that for the 2 iconic masterpieces, they'll be leaning a bit more on JT than AB this tour. Nothing at all against AB, it's every bit as good as JT, but they've played it so much the last 10 years.

I'm ready for some Running To Stand Still, Trip Through Your Wires, Exit and Mothers of The Disappeared! And of course, One Tree Hill!

The formula of the tour was made to "force fans" in markets,that aren't visited for this year portion of the tour, to travel.But how can fans in Miam,iPhilly,Washington,Houston,Denver,Detroit,Portland or Seattle ect..can make plans if they aren't sure the tour will happen or kick off as schedule because of Bono's severe injuries?With 33% of the shows not being sold out for the N.American leg,one explanation could very well be that fans outside or the 9 cities being visited didn't want to gamble lots of $$$ because they aren't sure the tour will go ahead as schedule.

5ec9d1e65bb6966897521188d524761e1ec91359c5bb919c22e1169e0a3e9fdc.jpg

Haha! Love that Headache! So true.

On a general note, I just think it's painful to speak of U2 "deteriorating" and suchlike. You'd think they'd have lived a Stones- like life of debauchery and planeloads of drugs, you know, a "rock star" lifestyle. Well, they have a little, over the yrs....but compared to other acts? They're clean as a whistle. Yet here they are only in their 50's and dealing with crap like this. It just pains me to have to see them slow down like this, b/c 2 guys in the band have simple medical issues. And as far as we know, it's just Bono and Larry. Edge looks almost too good for his age. Cosmic cruelty at its finest. (The "deterioration", not Edge, I mean!)

As far as playing Aisa...the last thing I'd want is for U2 to play China. The last thing I'd want is for U2 to be assigned a Communist Party "minder" scrutinizing their planned show, them having to do things like submit their playlist/lyrics in advance, etc. All of which is de riguer for Western artists playing there. It would be much different than their playing Russia was. The Chinese are much more strict.

Plus, they have an interesting way of dealing with Westerners they see as "enemies of the people." I forgot who the director of "Kundun" was, but before being allowed to film in China, he had to submit an "apology" for making the film and renounce it, and things like that. Symbolism and image are very important for the Chinese gov't. They're very sensitive to anything that might be construed as "political." I can just see Bono agreeing to things like this, the censorship, or apologizing formally to the Chinese people for his friendship with the Dalai Lama...In fact, Bono would probably qualify as "enemy of the people" for the CCP in a lot of different ways. Other Western acts don't qualify for this type of scrutiny but U2 does.

Remember how the usual "vendors" for U2 who camp outside their arenas--Amnesty, One, etc-were harassed by Russian officials when they played Moscow. And that was when Putin was merely a nuisance--not the Czar! Can you see U2 going through this, not just the vendors? And the Chinese will not be afraid to do it.

If LN thinks U2 will make a lot of money in the huge Chinese market, and don't care about censorship and other "hot-button" issues like this, and pressure U2 to perform there and they give in....and Bono does things like "apologize" for certain things....well, that will be the ultimate definition of sellout.

Phillipines? India? Malaysia? Indonesia? Shit, they could just tour there for two years and they'd still barely scratch the surface. I'm not saying they will, I'm not starting a rumour, or am I, maybe I am.

Haha! Love that Headache! So true.

On a general note, I just think it's painful to speak of U2 "deteriorating" and suchlike. You'd think they'd have lived a Stones- like life of debauchery and planeloads of drugs, you know, a "rock star" lifestyle. Well, they have a little, over the yrs....but compared to other acts? They're clean as a whistle. Yet here they are only in their 50's and dealing with crap like this. It just pains me to have to see them slow down like this, b/c 2 guys in the band have simple medical issues. And as far as we know, it's just Bono and Larry. Edge looks almost too good for his age. Cosmic cruelty at its finest. (The "deterioration", not Edge, I mean!)

Mick Jagger is probably still in better shape than all four members of U2.

EXACTLY!

People are bound to complain here about anything they do. Like others have pointed out here, people were all about longer stays in cities and yes, in fact, residencies back on 360 when they were doing stadiums.

U2 are damned if they do, damned if they don't, even with their hardcore fans. It blows my mind. Of course, I have my criticisms, but they're in perspective to other things in life (like people unable to eat, attain health care, live past 20, walk outside without fear of being raped or killed by ISIS etc). They're also in perspective to what you mentioned- that U2 continue to work their asses off to present what they believe is their best and most genuine work at any given time.

This is not laziness. It's a different formula to tour with and it is one that is conducive to doing exactly what people have asked for most here for years- shaking up the set lists!

And there will definitely be more than 2 legs, possibly up to 7 if the past is any indication. So there is absolutely no way that they don't do substantially more cities in 2016- America and Europe have nothing at all to worry about. As Ax points out, the only fans with a real ax to grind are those in the Middle East and parts of Asia.

All that being said, I completely understand the frustration of having to travel to see U2 and the logistics and financial issues. It makes it impossible for some fans to see them and it sucks. But that will happen on every single tour. Perspective is necessary- I am in the U2 capital of America- Boston- and I had to travel to see the 2011 leg of 360. The closest shows to me were Montreal (325 miles) and Philadelphia (400 plus miles). No problem as far as getting there fast goes- easy, all highway driving to both, but I spent ALOT of money on gas, hotels and going out to eat while I was there. In addition, obviously to the tickets.

Everyone hang in there and trust that by the end of this tour, they'll be as close to you as they've been on previous tours at some point.

I'm more than excited for this tour. Just look at the variety of material played on Vertigo and that wasn't even billed as a night to night different show experience like this is! I am also a big fan of early 1980s U2 and I think they'll be showcasing a good amount of tunes from Boy-October-War this time around so all the better.

I also think that for the 2 iconic masterpieces, they'll be leaning a bit more on JT than AB this tour. Nothing at all against AB, it's every bit as good as JT, but they've played it so much the last 10 years.

I'm ready for some Running To Stand Still, Trip Through Your Wires, Exit and Mothers of The Disappeared! And of course, One Tree Hill!

Thoughtful reply and amen to the last paragraph.

My post is more of a critique of how the tour is shaping up than a complaint or criticism.

Look, as I stated, I live in New York and am going to see them at MSG, but I think 8 shows in any given city (including mine) is ridiculous when they are playing 0 in most other markets, but could easily afford to do so.

The lack of diversity but high probability of profitably translates in my mind to laziness, or as Headache put it, them simply getting old.

Also, they could play in my apartment, on the most fantastic stage every created doing a setlist crafted by me and I am sure I would still find something to critique. Just the nature of free speech - the fact that others have brought ISIS and hunger into this conversation is a bit laughable. I am sure there are forums for that - this one is about U2 general tour discussion.

Let's see how the tour unfolds, but we can only really comment here on what is presented to us and so far, to me, it looks like a 'path of least resistance' tour outing.

I remember this time last tour people were debating carbon offsets and Blackberry (heh heh heh) sponsorships.

Heck, I'm only talking about tour dates.

Lastly, Axver - your stats always blow my mind - well done sir.

Back
Top Bottom