The National are a great band we should keep discussing.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

Love it after first listen. Liked every single song. I Should Live in Salt, Graceless and This is the Last Time being the highlights of what I hadn't already heard, the latter being one of their very best already.

I don't really pick up on lyrics until I'm super familiar with the album, so no comment on that except to say I'm quite bemused by djerdap's hatred for the "love is a virtue" line in Sea of Love.

I fucking love these guys. :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

I think that's the entire reason why the lyrics are sticking out to me so much on this album, that I did catch them on first listen. They're really strong.

I had my first listen last night. I was struck with how natural the album sounds as a progression from Boxer and High Violet. The best term I have for it is "smoldering" - as others have noted, none of these songs really explode like a Mistaken for Strangers or a Terrible Love, but the emotional intensity is there nonetheless, especially on Demons, Don't Swallow the Cap, and Pink Rabbits. My girlfriend's take on the mood was that the narrator is searching for something that is just out of reach; mine was that the narrator has something he really values but fears it is about to disintegrate. Either way, it gets across a palpable sense of fatigue and unease. Matt has said this is a "funny" album, but to my ears it is deathly serious - I see the point others have made about him being self-deprecating, but I think that is typically a sign of intensive self-reflection rather than comedy. Anyway, kudos to Matt: he is in top form lyrically and vocally, especially in the way that he tries out new cadences and tones in his singing. Bryan is the best drummer in the business right now - that to me is indisputable. The Dessners have done some tremendous work on the production as well: djerdap mentioned I Need My Girl in this regard, and I want to echo his thoughts about how well this song adapted to the studio. I'm just rambling now, but I'll have much fuller thoughts after a few more listens. One last thought: I don't think it even makes sense to talk about "better" or "worse" with this band anymore, as their whole catalogue is sounding more and more like one grand, unified statement.

I had my first listen last night. I was struck with how natural the album sounds as a progression from Boxer and High Violet. The best term I have for it is "smoldering" - as others have noted, none of these songs really explode like a Mistaken for Strangers or a Terrible Love, but the emotional intensity is there nonetheless, especially on Demons, Don't Swallow the Cap, and Pink Rabbits. My girlfriend's take on the mood was that the narrator is searching for something that is just out of reach; mine was that the narrator has something he really values but fears it is about to disintegrate. Either way, it gets across a palpable sense of fatigue and unease. Matt has said this is a "funny" album, but to my ears it is deathly serious - I see the point others have made about him being self-deprecating, but I think that is typically a sign of intensive self-reflection rather than comedy. Anyway, kudos to Matt: he is in top form lyrically and vocally, especially in the way that he tries out new cadences and tones in his singing. Bryan is the best drummer in the business right now - that to me is indisputable. The Dessners have done some tremendous work on the production as well: djerdap mentioned I Need My Girl in this regard, and I want to echo his thoughts about how well this song adapted to the studio. I'm just rambling now, but I'll have much fuller thoughts after a few more listens. One last thought: I don't think it even makes sense to talk about "better" or "worse" with this band anymore, as their whole catalogue is sounding more and more like one grand, unified statement.

I adore those almost Vangelis-like synths on I Need My Girl. To use a cliched phrase, they really take the song to another level.

That whole final section of 5 songs just blows me away. Really great feel and atmosphere all through-out. Depressing and melancholic, but in the best way possible.

It actually reminds me a bit of In Rainbows, in terms how it never really explodes (All I Need ending notwithstanding), but it persistently keeps the momentum on the emotional intensity and peaks in some moments that are some of the best in their career ("I won't be waiting anymore" verse in This is The Last Time and the ending of Pink Rabbits). It also helps that Humilation - one of my highlights - has a very Arpeggi-like feel to it.

Good stuff, this record.

Listening to the album again now, Don't Swallow the Cap just hit me like a fucking ton of bricks. I don't know what it is about this guy that a line as simple as "everything I love is on the table; everything I love is out to sea" can feel like a million punches to the gut emotionally.

Also, does anyone notice a distinct similarity to Cardinal Song in the coda of This Is the Last Time?

Yes I've even said that in one of my spoilered posts. :wink: That's still my favorite part of the album.

Are we allowed to stop spoilering now? Almost everyone has heard it by now.

I haven't, but I really don't get spoilering opinions on an album. It's not like if I read them it's going to give the plot away and ruin the story.

Those of us who were holding out didn't want any preconceived notions about the album. Avoid everyone else's reaction and you ensure that when you finally make an assessment, it's yours and yours alone. That and I'd rather hear Berninger one liners as they're meant to be heard than read them first.

One of my favorite moments in the new album is
how soothing and calm Matt sounds when singing the line "If I stay here trouble will find me". There is a certain sense of acceptance of doom that he conveys with his delivery that really takes that lyric to a new level.

Listening to the album again now, Don't Swallow the Cap just hit me like a fucking ton of bricks. I don't know what it is about this guy that a line as simple as "everything I love is on the table; everything I love is out to sea" can feel like a million punches to the gut emotionally.
I'm pretty sure it's "out to see." Like, on the table so everyone can see it.

Confession: I have been wrong about City Middle. Absolutely remarkable song. I think my dislike for it probably stemmed from the tracklisting.

I've got five-hundred in twenties, and I've got a ton of great ideas...I'm really worked up.

Fantastic lyrics on that one.

Went to the record store today at lunch as I heard they had a bunch of High Violet on violet vinyls. Left with that and Trouble Will Find Me.

It's going to a long afternoon at the office.

That's what I said to the guy, he replied they generally receive new albums on Friday and put them straight out. Cool. Hope you can get it too.

I'm not sold on the new Daft Punk yet. 4-5 songs I love, not sure about the rest after 2 plays. I'll keep at it a bit more, may end up getting it on CD when Amazon knock it down to a fiver.

Only thing I see on iTunes now is a pre-order. So i guess I'm waiting til I have the actual album. Been listening to the other albums, and I'm glad I cobbler'd this band after high violet came out. Not a fan of much from the debut, and "lucky you" is just about the only thing off sad songs I'm a huge fan of (available and murder me rachael are alright).

Back
Top Bottom