The National are a great band we should keep discussing.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm going to hold out until release day comes and I've got my vinyl copy. Buying local as the deluxe shipping cost was $65 on top of the price tag.

Vampire Weekend, Daft Punk and Savages will keep me occupied in the meantime.

It might not have anything to do with the music, but pizza and $6 Beringer wine really put the album over the top.

I can afford better wine, but it's one letter away.

You broke in a National album with wine instead of bourbon? What an amateur!

:wink:

You broke in a National album with wine instead of bourbon? What an amateur!

:wink:

It was a really cheap wine too.

And it was crazy good. Not sure what that was all about. We've bought that brand before, just because the name kind of looks like Berninger and it was horrible.

Maybe it was the music, not sure. I know that I'm possibly going to listen to this album 2-3 more times today though.

Where's Djerdap? Did he die of excitement when the album finally leaked?

This Is the Last Time is already a top 10 Nash song for me. The last two minutes are transcendent. Those swelling strings and the backing vocals. It reminds me a bit of the last part of Cardinal Song, but it's better.

Jenny I am in trouble
Can't get these thoughts out of me
Jenny I'm seeing double
I know this changes everything

Baby you gave me pain and tears
Baby you left me sad and high

I hope nobody walks by and records the unreleased National music I'm blasting out of my cell phone speaker right now.

Whatever I may have said yesterday, I would totally be willing to spend $20+ on this album.

I love how in the Sea of Love video, the kid slows down his air guitar ever so slightly during the "trouble will find me" section.

I mentioned this before and nobody said shit, which might be an answer in itself, but do you guys see any similarities between Demons and Easy/Lucky/Free by Bright Eyes? I'm not implying any shenanigans, but they both have that sort of floaty, dreamy, stream of consciousness quality. I like both very much (I'm starting to think Demons might be among some of their strongest)

What's your opinion on the album Djerdap?

It's a lot better than I expected. This might become my second favorite behind Alligator. The past four albums all had a distinct sound and this one seems to lend bits and pieces from all of them. This Is the Last Time could've been on SSFDL, Fireproof sounds like a Boxer track, etc.

Oh, I'm alive alright. :wink:

My thoughts after quite a few listens:

This is arguably the most "albumic" record they did. More cohesive and consistent than both Boxer and High Violet, although it lacks the highs of those two song-wise. I'm genuinely surprised at how good the sequencing is on this record, since I always thought this is their main flaw, even in parts of Alligator, which I still consider to be their masterpiece. Slipped is for me the only thing that could be considered a weak link, but even that song is not as dull as Little Faith or a mood killer as Runaway. In fact, it effortlessly flows into I Need My Girl and Humiliation, which is a sign of a great record - as a whole it is greater than the sum of its parts.

The climaxes to Pink Rabbits and This is the Last Time (latter being very Sad Songs-like, which is never a bad thing) already belong in the great National moments. With every listening there is something new to discover and I find myself drawn to some songs that I considered to be lackluster at first - again a sign of a great record. Hard To Find is a classic example. At first I thought of it as a lovely throw-away coda, but it is a beautiful song that actually reminds me a bit of Laughing Stock-era Talk Talk.

As far as lyrics go, most of them are as good as Berninger has always been - both ironic and honestly self-deprecating, emotional and funny. I like that he came back to the narrative lyricism as opposed to the more abstract one of High Violet. The one lyric that does bother me is "Sorry I hurt you but they say love is a virtue", which kind of ruins the middle part of Sea of Love for me, but there are many gems in here that are as good as some of his best on the earlier records. As far as production goes, of course I wish that Graceless and Heavenfaced had as much punch to them as the live versions (screaming being low in the mix is a nasty compromise), and in general I wouldn't mind that the guitars were higher in the mix. However, I love the atmosphere and moodiness that the Dessner brothers brought to many of the tracks. I Need My Girl is a classic example of a song that could have been cheesy as hell, but here it is one of the most atmosphere-laden tracks on the record.

Good stuff. Expectations met. We'll see where it stands after some time passes.

I agree with most things you said. Though I like that hurt you, virtue line. My least favorite is probably I Should Live in Salt.

It is definitely a more accomplished album than High Violet in so many ways (sequencing, lyrics, atmosphere), but I'm still not sure whether I would rank it above Boxer. Boxer does have so many of their signature tracks, but it does not have such a powerful and emotional finish as this one, and it's certainly not as cohesive. This record just builds and builds in emotional intensity, which is why it reminds me a bit of Alligator as well. Although it would benefit from a big rocker in the vein of that record - Sea of Love and Graceless don't come close to Abel or Mr. November for me.

In any case, it's a rare thing these days to have a band who made 5 great albums in a row. The last band who I believe did that was Porcupine Tree in their 1999-2007 period. I don't think the trio of Sad Songs/Cherry Tree/Alligator will ever be matched for me, but this one is as good a "downward slope" as it could ever be.

I agree with most things you said. Though I like that hurt you, virtue line. My least favorite is probably I Should Live in Salt.

Oh wow, I couldn't disagree more on that one. Great track!

I like I Should Live in Salt. It is somewhat schmaltzy and it is definitely their weakest opener since Beautiful Head, but it serves as a great intro to what is very much an album in the best sense of that word.

You're not properly quoting that line. It's "Hey Jo, sorry I hurt you but they say love is a virtue, don't they?" That "don't they" at the end actually makes it for me. He's just saying what he thinks he's supposed to say and he can't even say it without questioning himself. If it was just what you said it was, it wouldn't be good. But I like it as it is.

I've never loved Boxer as much as most. Don't know why. There are just too many "boring" tracks. Racing Like a Pro(noun), Start a War and Guest Room are weaker than any song on TWFM imo.
Also, Graceless could use a more prominent guitar (like the BBC version) which is more important than the screaming but it's still a great song. I've started to appreciate it in a different way. It's full of ridiculously catchy melodies.

You're not properly quoting that line. It's "Hey Jo, sorry I hurt you but they say love is a virtue, don't they?" That "don't they" at the end actually makes it for me. He's just saying what he thinks he's supposed to say and he can't even say it without questioning himself. If it was just what you said it was, it wouldn't be good. But I like it as it is.

I'm not properly quoting it because I was too lazy to type it all out. Still a terrible line. Or maybe it's the delivery that irks me. The repetitive nature of it makes it very much annoying. The rest of the song is great and it rocks live. Not as much as the rockers of Sad Songs or Alligator do, but this album's virtues lie elsewhere. Don't they.

Back
Top Bottom