The last song U2 ever plays

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Went and checked for myself.

"Host: The last song of your last concert ever. What would your last song be?

Bono: Amazing Grace.

Host: Honest?

Bono: Yeah.

Host: Why?

Bono: It's a sound. Grace, how sweet the *sound*? I've never figured that out. Think about it."

Let's not forget that Bono lies.

There's only one song they've specifically brought out to end tours even if they never/rarely played that song on the said tour.

They clearly have a thing for ending things with said song.

That song is 40.

Of course this is all hypothetical, and how anyone can be adamant that they would or wouldn't play a certain song to end their mythical final concert is beyond me.

But from a strictly statistical basis... It's 40.

May 29, 1981 at New York, NY = 11 O'Clock Tick Tock
March 30, 1982 at San Francisco, CA = 11 O'Clock Tick Tock - Give Peace A Chance
November 30, 1983 at Tokyo, Japan = 40
July 07, 1985 at Werchter, Belgium = 40
December 20, 1987 at Tempe, AZ = 40
January 10, 1990 at Rotterdam, Netherlands = 40
December 10, 1993 at Tokyo, Japan = Can't Help Falling in Love
March 21, 1998 at Johannesburg, South Africa = 40
December 02, 2001 at Miami, FL = Walk On / 40
December 09, 2006 at Honolulu, HI = All I Want Is You
July 30, 2011 at Moncton, NB, Canada = 40

Anyway, I think and have thought for a long time that it should be 40 .... "how long" for 2-3 minutes then Streets

While I believe it will be, and should be 40. I also believe there is an argument for One. The song that saved the band is also about breaking up as they have said repeatedly. Its a bitter sweet beautiful farewell to a former lover that they know they can't be with anymore. The relationship between the fans and U2 is as deep and as intense as any but also fans have been fickle and not without some discord. When pop came out not everybody was cool with it and demanded a return to the AB sound. As an artist that must sting quite a bit.
"Did I disappoint you Or leave a bad taste in your mouth You act like you never had love And you want me to go without
Well it's...
Too late
Tonight
To drag the past out into the light
Were one but we are not the same..."

Fans want U2 around forever but somewhat on the fans terms and that eventually would wear on a person.
"You say
Love is a temple
Love a higher law
Love is a temple
Love the higher law
You ask me to enter
But then you make me crawl
And I can't be holding on
To what you got
When all you got is hurt

The band finally breaking up with the fans. Because ultimately that is what not going out and playing anymore is. Breaking up. No more new memories. Cherish the old ones as much as we will but we have moved on. Be well.

That thought gives me chills as a goodbye.

Now, Streets as an over the top uplifting sendoff would be like midnight on New Years Eve with a massive celebration. And 40 would be riding off into the sunset. I'm 100% ok with those 3.

Back
Top Bottom