The Knife

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Probably because of you.

The network filter pegs it as "streaming media," so this is entirely possible. They never seemed to catch onto the fact that I've been watching NCAA tournament games at my desk for the last two weeks, though.

On a related note, I can tell you quite definitely what the web address for Dick's Sporting Goods is NOT.

This album is pretty crazy. I'm not sure that I enjoy it, but it's some weird shit nonetheless.

I'm listening to the stream now. Wow. Those first two songs (I haven't listened to any of them before now). :drool:

Batshit crazy. I like it.

This might be the most pretentious review I've ever read. And I've read the P4K Kid A review.

The Knife - Shaking the Habitual | Music Review | Tiny Mix Tapes

The last paragraph is golden.
As an album designed to be consumed as a whole, Shaking The Habitual is exhausting. But the experience is unique, not only because of its length, but because of the inquisitive nature of the project. There are some fascinating dimensions to the music, but to deliberately pull them from the surrounding material is dispiriting because of the music’s context and the artistic aspirations behind it. Scoring this release at zero comes not from some gut reaction to long-form drone, electroacoustic experimentation, or the maniacal way in which The Knife have approached protest music — I find it enthralling that they should go to such lengths to prove a point. When they say “we want to fail more,” their intention is to breech the album format as a construct, and in that respect, they have succeeded. Indeed, I’m not attacking The Knife for their daring feat, but reexamining my own familiarities with convention at the hands of their artistry, and that simply won’t register on a scale of one to five.

So he either hates it or loves it, and is too big of a pansy to tell us which it is? I hope his (marble) house burns down.

Really excited to listen to this tonight.

I don't see how anyone could write that last sentence with a straight face.

The album is a real pain in the ass but they're too afraid to say so.

The great songs are awesome and the terrible songs are almost intolerable. If they had kept to the sound of the first five songs I would be all over this.

I was hoping it was a typo of some weird cobbler word. It didn't end in o, so I should have known.

I might have made it more than a minute into the first track if it wasn't for yoko's vocals.

Seriously, that 20 minute song has redefined the word tedious. Then you've got a song like Fracking Fluid Injection, which is quite literally weird moans with no music for 10 fucking minutes. The first two tracks are bearable but after that... I mean I don't like it, fair enough, but I don't see how anyone could make it through this in one piece and actively enjoy it.

Seriously, that 20 minute song has redefined the word tedious. Then you've got a song like Fracking Fluid Injection, which is quite literally weird moans with no music for 10 fucking minutes. The first two tracks are bearable but after that... I mean I don't like it, fair enough, but I don't see how anyone could make it through this in one piece and actively enjoy it.

When I was in college I did a radio show, one semester my show followed a guy who played stuff that sounded exactly like what you're describing. A 15 minute opus of cows mooing over dissonant church bell chimes, or crickets chirping over a ten minute long bass drone. There was something that sounded like cheese graters being rubbed together, too. This guy filled a three hour show with that kind of crap every week, and actually had people who called up and made requests. It was bizarre.

Believe it or not, I'm ok with the 20 min track. Seems like a Stars of the Lid type track. Not in love with a few of the tracks on the second disc at the moment though. Certainly their toughest album accessibility wise, crazy to look at their first few albums and compare them to this. Not even remotely the same type of direction and music. I'm still pretty excited about the new album though. Look forward to hearing it more.

I don't see how anyone could make it through this in one piece and actively enjoy it.

I think I've gone about this band in a completely backwards way. I've long loved Karin's vocals with Royksopp, and I've heard the Fever Ray album a time or two. About a week ago, I listened to Shaking the Habitual, and contrary to Cobbler's assessment, I enjoyed it a great deal. There was a point, though, during Fracking Fluid Injection, where a friend asked, Um, what the hell are you listening to? and I laughed and hit the skip button with just a minute or two left in the song.

So today I'm finally hearing Deep Cuts for the first time. How has it taken me so long to listen to this? The Knife are so my wheelhouse, as I believe mofo told me they would be a long, long time ago. Wish I'd gotten into them earlier, but at least I'm on board now.

They played a gig in Brussels a few days ago and it wasn't very good apparently. The show got panned by critics and fans. Too much weird dancing and not enough music seems to be the consesus. They're using a lot of taped recordings and stuff.

I listened to one track by the Knife on this new Desert Island game or whatever. It made me want to give up my day job and pick up the knife... for a life of crime!!1

bb-knifeScene-DP.jpg

Back
Top Bottom