The Gabba, Brisbane Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't blow the house up!

Aww... Spoilsport. :p

I couldn't get it lit... I'll just have to stink the place out and hope my housemates can do it before tomorrow morning.

Hey Alison, did you get my message on Facebook? Think we're probably out for tonight, sorry. :(

Yeah, I assume you got my reply. You missed on seeing the guy in Parking Lot Experiments who looks like Cousin It in a flannel shirt... on speed and/or crack. *L*

Not to mention hearing swing versions of Yellow and Chop Suey over the PA... :lol:

also, re: AFL...

I heard the last 5 mins of the Melb/Syd game...! Sounds like it was more exciting than the Essendon game if nothing else.

Now it's swing-Creep... *amused*

Yeah, I assume you got my reply. You missed on seeing the guy in Parking Lot Experiments who looks like Cousin It in a flannel shirt... on speed and/or crack. *L*

Not to mention hearing swing versions of Yellow and Chop Suey over the PA... :lol:

:lol: I fucking love Parking Lot Experiments! I'm pretty sure that none of them, except the drummer, actually have any clue how to play their instruments or know what songs they are playing.

How are Love Connection? They were cool as support for Toro Y Moi, and we're probably going to go to their double-headliner with Pets With Pets at the Workers Club next Saturday.

:lol: I fucking love Parking Lot Experiments! I'm pretty sure that none of them, except the drummer, actually have any clue how to play their instruments or know what songs they are playing.

That seems a fair assessment! They seem to swap instruments almost at random. *L* They were great though, even with some sort of computer malfunction mid-set. :laugh:

How are Love Connection? They were cool as support for Toro Y Moi, and we're probably going to go to their double-headliner with Pets With Pets at the Workers Club next Saturday.

They were good too, I really liked most of their set, and they seem slightly more confident with their instruments as well. :wink:

The main guy said that PLE were the reason he was playing music at all... I dunno if he was exaggerating, since they all look like they're about 20, but then he went on to describe PLE as being like "early Metallica" in some slightly intangible respect. :lol:

*bops to swing-Rock The Casbah*

Haha, brilliant. Wish we could've come along, but I think I'm off to pass out soon ... :wave:

Enjoy the two headliners!

Haha, brilliant. Wish we could've come along, but I think I'm off to pass out soon ... :wave:

Enjoy the two headliners!

I'm sure these bands will tour again :)

So far so good with JSS, altho there were the usual pushy drunks, and the venue took its sweet time turning the AC on. I still think their latest hit sounds exactly like Parklife, but they did my fave song of theirs last, except I can't remember what it's called. *L* :der:

Ye gods, Mr Boulet's soundcheck is hair-shakingly loud...!

"selling candy" is when you are in the vicinity of an opposition player and pretend you are going to kick or handball, then at the last second pull/turn away etc. The football equivalent of saying "PSYCHE!!!!" I guess.

They quoted One and asked "What's not to love?" Can't think of what I was going to say anymore.

What? :huh:

The closest I saw was this: "Proud. United. Excited. What's not to like about this post!?"

Wow, the new Blackfield album is, I think, the first time I have ever been disappointed by one of SW's bands.

"selling candy" is when you are in the vicinity of an opposition player and pretend you are going to kick or handball, then at the last second pull/turn away etc. The football equivalent of saying "PSYCHE!!!!" I guess.

Aha, gotcha, thanks. :up:

Wow, the new Blackfield album is, I think, the first time I have ever been disappointed by one of SW's bands.

Bugger... how so? Should have called it Blackfield III. :tsk:

Daniel, did you end up with a new iPad on Friday? :wink:

YES! They're showing the second half of New Zealand's semi-final in the Cricket World Cup on free-to-air!

Oh my god it goes from 11:55pm Tuesday to 4am Wednesday. :crack:

I'm already so excited.

Bugger... how so? Should have called it Blackfield III. :tsk:

I don't know how to put it other than that ... it's emo. As in the stereotype, not the genre.

Fuck you all, fuck you
I don't care any more
Go to hell, go to hell

Those are the full lyrics of the second track, repeated as to drag it out to a length of three minutes.

The music's good enough, it sounds just like Blackfield always has, but the lyrics ... it's worth a listen, just to believe it/for the lulz. And we thought Your Unpleasant Family was an anomaly!

I gave it 2.5/5 on RYM.

Wow, I think I may have to listen to this for the minor HMH implications.

I may be over-hyping it a bit ... I just feel like Aviv dredged up some poetry he wrote in high school and SW was so drunk that he agreed to record it.

I may be over-hyping it a bit ... I just feel like Aviv dredged up some poetry he wrote in high school and SW was so drunk that he agreed to record it.

:lol: Sounds awesomely bad.

HMH...?

Perhaps it's a cunning marketing ploy to cash in on the disenfranchised emo youth subculture thing. Which doesn't make it any more palatable, I suppose... maybe once they've been sucked in SW will go back to being awesome and go "Haha, suckers!" ... Maybe?

Anyway, I'm curious to give it a listen in any case.

On a mostly unrelated note, I've concluded from recent gigs that the trend amongst indie bands these days is either lots of hair and/or beards. I've got no hope. :(

HMH = Horrible Music Hour.

Alison, just noticed your sig. Was wondering if you or any of the other Victorians were interested in some of the upcoming gigs that Charlotte and I are pondering:

02/04 at the Workers Club: Love Connection and Pets With Pets (i.e. shoegaze at the place we discovered Rekorderlig)
09/04 at Northcote Uniting Church: Cam Butler and This Is Your Captain Speaking (post-rock ... in a church?!)
14/04 at the Corner: Kimbra (pop)
16/04 at the Workers: Eat Skull and The Renderers (lo-fi noise pop and lo-fi noise rock respectively)
23 and 24/04 at the Toff: My Disco (experimental noise rock)
25/04 at the Toff: Seekae (electronica)
30/04 at Bella Union: Lakes and Zond (noise rock)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom