The 'Desert Island Game Running Diary' Thread Pt. 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you use your lucky quarter?

no-country.jpg

Don't put it in your pocket.

Overall, I have mixed reactions to your list but I did enjoy a handful of songs including the incredibly kickass opening trio! In fact I feel like listening to those songs again! :rockon: The other positive thing I would say is that the flow was not bad at all. It was never jarring even once. I had fun listening to your list overall. :up:

That's about as positive review as I'd expect, so I'm glad you enjoyed a lot of it. I'll be surprised if anyone here likes the heavier stuff on my list (though I thought you might like Dinosaur Jr....guess not), but I wanted to just make a list of everything I'd been listening to at the moment, and that happened to include that kind of music. I don't play to win, I play to listen to music :)

I'm finishing yours now. The first four songs were good, but then the next three were not my style at all. Surprisingly I liked Duran Duran and I'm digging Roxy Music, though the transition was a little jarring which is a rarity on your list.

Hollywood Freaks - Beck: Beck does rap. Interesting. I'm definitely paying attention. Lyrics are making me giggle a bit.

Quills - The Roots: Flows so well, I didn't even realise it was on a new song! :lol: I'm not a fan of hip-hop, but these songs are all right. :up:

Moby was fine enough, didn't really interest me too much

Toni Braxton is eh. Definitely 90's RnB

I'm don't feel the TLC so much. Definitely sexy lyrically, but reallly not my style. this kinda song makes me want to go to sleep, not get it on. I would have preferred No Scrubs :wink:

En Vogue :lol: I love this song. Really, I do. funky :dance:

Mirando - Ratatat: Intersting instrumental, my head's bobbing. Ended with strings. Kinda cool.

Peculiar People - Mute Math: Kind of half reggae, part new age and part hip-hop. Cool fusion. I like it.

:laugh:

No Scrubs is awesome but I don't consider it sexy.

I agree with you there. Mood-wise, your choice was better

So overall I definitely liked the second disc better (Marvin Gaye :up: ). I'd agree that our tastes are opposite in many respects, but I enjoyed more than I expected to. I'd probably give your song selection about a 5/10 total (a lot due to the first disc), but the mood/flow gets a 9.5/10.

I'm gonna listen to Mr. V's next since it's short :up: and it starts with one of my favourite songs of all time :drool: i will pay for you...anytime

I'd never heard of Frightened Rabbit before, but I quite liked that song. And I do enjoy Shiver. Also the transitions have been great so far, especially the first one.

Diamonds From Sierra Leone - Kanye West: Ohh, snippetry. :up: Awesome.

Echo was decent, I don't really like the vibe now with Hunters & Collectors and Crowded House. Kinda boring, not my thing

RD paused on account of MullenBashing. Please stand by.

Ok, back to LMP's list this morning. I wasn't able to finish yesterday.

We're on to Section 3.

One of the better songs from the new Weezer album. A great start.

Cut Your Hair is one of Pavement's better songs, but I'm still not a fan of them.

The Replacements. Great track.

And for whatever reason, I have a dislike for PJ Harvey. I know a lot of people like here, but I just can't get into her music that much.

Sonic Youth, however, is fantastic. And I love how it followed Radiohead. In fact, this whole section might be even better than the previous two in terms of flow. Extremely well done.

Interesting R.E.M. choice. I guess it works with the flow.

Awesome use of Roy Orbison. I'm glad someone has added him to their list.

Into The Goat Song though? :lol:

It's a hilarious song, but one thing with comedy tracks is that after a while, they can get a bit tiring to listen to.

Funny how it actually fits there at the end, and then moves to the Flaming Lips with ease.

I know a lot of people like Flaming Lips, but apart from a few songs, they aren't a group I listen to that much, although this song is one I've always liked.

It's cool how each section is great by themselves, but that even the transistions from the last song in one part to the first song in the next go very well together.

Beverly Penn is awesome - haven't heard it in a while. In fact, haven't heard any Waterboys in a long time. Might have to change that soon.

And one of my faves from Neon Bible. Quite obvious that Arcade Fire were listening to Springsteen's Nebraska a lot during this time. Too bad the song ends with about 7 seconds to go. It really screws things up when putting it on a playlist.

Love The Jam, and despite the silence in between, it actually wasn't too bad. I think it wouldn't have gone as well if a louder song had followed Arcade Fire.

The Shins :drool:

Sufjan. Good stuff. I don't put him on the pedestal that others here do, but I like him.

Great, great idea putting him and Simon & Garfunkel back to back.

Got delayed there at the finish.

Yes, the Kinks. What an underrated band. People don't talk about them enough, me included.

You know, I think Shangri-La would have worked better as your closer. It's just too tough to do Eclipse by itself, and it really doesn't sound right without Brain Damage. Whereas Shangri-La would have been more than adequate to finish the whole thing off.

Well, that's it. Damn LMP, you're getting better and better at this. I'd say it's gonna be tough for anyone to beat you this time. While I had my fair share of songs that I could do without, there's no denying how well-crafted and put together your playlist is, and how well you diversified by including many different genres, something I admittedly didn't really worry about with this edition myself.

Thumbs up, man. :up:

Ok, I'm back.

I started listening to DOL's list a little while ago, but haven't been able to get online to post thoughts until now.

Love the start with Future Lovers. Confessions is a damn good dance album. Of course, the problem with using songs from it is that they go from one to another with no breaks, so when you pull a song from it and use it elsewhere, it makes for a disruptive ending. It's too bad there wasn't a single or alternate version of it to use.

A little different going into Jet, as it's obviously a rocker instead. I think it could have been placed elsewhere. On Top would have sounded great right after Future Lovers.

The Killers and Bjork - there's a unique combo! I'm not a Bjork fan.

I like the transition to Something Stupid, though, and this version is nice.

And then Your Song following it was great. A very good three song sequence there.

Shakira was next. I don't think it worked that great after Elton, however. But combining it with No Doubt and Taylor Swift was a good idea, even if I don't like Taylor Swift (or most country, for that matter).

Transitioning to Muse was a bit odd, but what a great song to go to. And Depeche Mode right after was awesome.

I'm up to INXS.

Continuing on here.

Never Tear Us Apart - what a classic. Sounded good right after Enjoy The Silence, too.

Chasing Cars fit easily right after. I guess some people are turned off by this song now because it was overplayed on the radio. Well, I never listen to the radio, so it still sounds fresh to me.

Ugh, Jewel. :crack:

Never heard this version of Something before. It's ok.

I figured Evanescence would show up. :lol: I actually didn't mind their first album, but then I tired of them quickly, so I don't know this song. It's not bad.

Slug following that is certainly different, but Slug is awesome, so :up:

Not bad going to Tori Amos, even if I don't listen to her stuff.

I didn't really like this version of Oh! Darling. I'll stick to the original.

Fight Song - never heard this before. Wasn't bad. And then into What's A Girl To Do was ok. Neither song really stood out for me.

I like Jars Of Clay, more so their first album. Flood has been close to getting on my playlists in the past, but so far, it hasn't made it yet. This song is good. And going into Come Undone was great, which, as I've already stated, is one of my favorite songs from Duran Duran.

Didn't know Bell X1. The song was ok. Didn't really grab me.

A fantastic three songs followed, though. R.E.M., U2, and The Beatles. Most people don't really seem to care for So Cruel. I love it, and it's one of my favorites from Achtung Baby.

On Lisa Loeb now. Haven't heard this one in a while. It's a good one.

I'll admit, I don't mind a couple of Linkin Park songs, but they are few and far between. I never bothered to even listen to the last album, which this song is from. It's not too bad, really.

However, I can't stand My Chemical Romance. But I'll give you points for these songs in this stretch going together well.

Broken sounds great in comparison to the previous song. :lol:

Broken > Nothing Compares 2 U didn't really go well together. But the latter song is a great one. Brings back some memories.

Kudos for including The Cranberries. Not too many people talk about them, but they had a great run of songs, and a lot of people probably don't even know this song (or the album it's from), but it's still good stuff.

Oh man! I was so happy that DOL included Promises. I have always loved that song and only had the bastardized version from their Best Of. This full length version is just amazing! :drool:

Yes, the original album version is far superior.

I'll just say that I really, really detest Cry Me A River and move on. :wink:

Since U Been Gone, however, is an excellent pop song, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Matchbox Twenty wrapped it all up. Again, not a fan of their stuff, but having it at the end fit your theme well.

In fact, DOL, you chose appropriate songs for what you were doing here, and in stretches it was well put together. I obviously have a distaste for some things on the playlist, but I think you did a good job constructing it for the most part. And considering that this is your first time participating, that is no small feat.

Well, that about does it for me today. I doubt I'll get to anything this weekend as I'm booked solid, but on Monday I'll be starting with Group 2 and checking out my immediate competition. :wink:

Interesting R.E.M. choice. I guess it works with the flow.

Awesome use of Roy Orbison. I'm glad someone has added him to their list.

Into The Goat Song though? :lol:

It's a hilarious song, but one thing with comedy tracks is that after a while, they can get a bit tiring to listen to.

Funny how it actually fits there at the end, and then moves to the Flaming Lips with ease.

I know a lot of people like Flaming Lips, but apart from a few songs, they aren't a group I listen to that much, although this song is one I've always liked.

It's cool how each section is great by themselves, but that even the transistions from the last song in one part to the first song in the next go very well together.

I used that song to comment on the pretentiousness of concept-driven songs, while still enjoying the thing, you know? It's dedicated to someone special. I totally get what you mean though.

RE: the sections: That's what I was going for, glad it's been generally well-received thus far.

Got delayed there at the finish.

Yes, the Kinks. What an underrated band. People don't talk about them enough, me included.

You know, I think Shangri-La would have worked better as your closer. It's just too tough to do Eclipse by itself, and it really doesn't sound right without Brain Damage. Whereas Shangri-La would have been more than adequate to finish the whole thing off.

Well, that's it. Damn LMP, you're getting better and better at this. I'd say it's gonna be tough for anyone to beat you this time. While I had my fair share of songs that I could do without, there's no denying how well-crafted and put together your playlist is, and how well you diversified by including many different genres, something I admittedly didn't really worry about with this edition myself.

Thumbs up, man. :up:

I hear you on the Floyd comment. I wanted to include them, since I avoided using some of my previous staple artists this time around, and having it fit in with the climax of "Shangri-La" sealed it for me. The song does suffer when it's not next to "Brain Damage," that's for sure, but I still think it stands on its own.

Thanks, appreciate it. My goal was to have something for everyone to like, while still being representative enough of my tastes right now, so I'm glad I've accomplished that for you. To hear it coming from you makes me feel good, that's for sure.

And going into Come Undone was great, which, as I've already stated, is one of my favorite songs from Duran Duran.
wrong

I'll admit, I don't mind a couple of Linkin Park songs, but they are few and far between. I never bothered to even listen to the last album, which this song is from. It's not too bad, really.
oh fuck yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom