The CLAW - Part. 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:yes:

I had it with the Vertigo gig in Brussels, no earplugs .. result, lasting static sounds at night. Luckily I don't "hear" it during the day but the noice is def louder when everything is 'silent'.. well you know..

I already bought a few. :D

But would I also need them in seats? Or just in GA?

I too went through multiple rounds of acupuncture and many doctors - I really do not think the acupuncture did anything.

It ended up going away after I took a combination of prescription nasal spray and an anti-allergen. The nasal spray was Nasonex and the pill was Claritin I believe.

I got the tinnitus after I actually saw U2 and NIN in the same week with no earplugs.

It went away after a number of weeks using this combination of medication.

I actually saw NIN last week outside with Jane's Addiction. I did not wear earplugs as it was outside and I was pretty far away, but I did cover my ears through most of the guitar solos as the high end treble really hurts my ears. It has been a couple of days and my ears are not even ringing so there is hope.

I also firmly believe as there is no cure for tinnitus a lot of it could be mental. Mind over matter kind of stuff. If you are incredibly positive and talk yourself into believing it will go away (plus the possible drug combo) it just might. now I know that is a lot of mumbo jumbo, but it worked for me.

No matter what - GO TO A DOCTOR - specifically an ENT (Ear, nose, and throat) and run any ideas by them including taking any kind of medication.

To everyone else, especially those in GA - WEAR EARPLUGS - there is a great disconnect between mixing sound for those in the top tier of a stadium, and those standing in front of the cabinets right under the stage - as much as you may love them, it only takes one of Edge's chords to possibly make your ears ring the rest of your life.

Thanks for that..unfortunately, mine didn't come on suddenly like that. It was gradual and the doc I'm seeing now said that was when I needed to begin treatment. Now it's full on and although I can block it out most of the time, it's very easy to slip and then it's there. I try not to be neg. about it but worse than the ringing is the ear pain w/ certain noises.

I have major allergies, but my system doesn't allow me to take Claritin or Nasonex. I've tried them both and they don't agree w/ me. I take a generic Loratadine. Doc thinks mine is nerve related. By the time I was 25 I had been to probably 50 concerts with no earplugs.

I hope yours never comes back :up: I wish I had been smarter when I was younger.

I know I've pimped these in other threads, but I love mine: Etymotic Research, Inc. - ER•20 High Fidelity Earplugs

I found those in colors in my searching here: ER-20 Hi-Fidelity Ety-Plugs - Music & Concert Plugs Too bad the beige isn't orange.. we could have all been color coordinated crabs. I have an addiction to turning up my music too loud so I know I have already begun to damage my hearing so I really need these. Now I just need to keep them IN for the whole show.. resist taking them out for the Streets loudness :lol:

I found those in colors in my searching here: ER-20 Hi-Fidelity Ety-Plugs - Music & Concert Plugs Too bad the beige isn't orange.. we could have all been color coordinated crabs. I have an addiction to turning up my music too loud so I know I have already begun to damage my hearing so I really need these. Now I just need to keep them IN for the whole show.. resist taking them out for the Streets loudness :lol:

I bought a set of professional earplugs about ten years ago. They are tailor made and contain acoustic filters for rock concerts...
They're great as well as is the sound of rock shows (even at the Amsterdam Arena)....
My advise if you're a regular concert goer.. by yourself a set of pro-earplugs... it's worth it..

hibricc, thanks for the link. I just bought 3 pairs. One for me and 2 for my younger daughters (who now go to concerts with me) I made them wear the foam ones for the last concert, but I think these will offer better sound and they'll be more likely to keep them in. :up:

I suffer from tinnitus since 1 year ago when I went on a concert with Bruce Springsteen. I thought the sound was too bad with earplugs so I didn't use them. Now I really regret that, becuase since then I have a ringing sound in my ears and I always have to wear earplugs on concerts an cinema and so on. So for God sake...use earplugs. Rather a little worse sound for 2 hours during the concert, than an awful sound in your ears for the rest of your lives!

I had seriously never considered ear plugs... Does it not ruin the sound? Or is it still considered loud? Call me confused LOL

Honestly, I find that good earplugs actually improve the sound for me. Concert audio is so loud that it often "distorts", to my ears. By knocking a few dB off, distortion is reduced, and I can hear more clearly.

Ever had trouble understanding Bono's between song patter? Try putting your fingers in your ears (no joke!) while he's talking, and most of the high-end distortion is blocked out, making his voice clearer. Of course, this won't work for the music, because you won't get the full dynamic range of the band. Earplugs like the ER20s reduce the level of all frequences equally, so you still hear the full musical range, just not as loudly.

When I went to a Bruce Springsteen concert in my country (in the Gelredome), they played with the roof closed. Because of that, there was a lot of noise and the sound was very bad. When I used my (very cheap) ear plugs, suddenly all the noise was gone and the sound was incredible! I could here every single note, which was impossible without ear plugs. It was very hard to notice which song they were playing without ear plugs.

I recommend them!

The honey combs may simply be a way of getting a more unified image onscreen. The Popmart screen was "blocky" and one could easily tell where the seams of each video square are located.

The popmart setup was due to the limits of the LED technology at the time. Leds of that size need to be heatsinked and the heatsinks were pretty large. Today LEDs are smaller, brighter and require smaller heatsinks.
It's always easier to mount LEDs on a square or rectangular board that has flat edges. Even the straight edge of and octagon or hexagon shaped board presents difficuties. For an led screen to work properly the light emitted needs to "overlap", this helps to present a unified image. It's harder to achieve this when the LEDs are mounted to "odd" shaped surfaces.

Why?

What is the point of "stretching out" the screen if it is going to result in an image with poor resolution?

You just don't get it do you? Think of it this way, it can go from Popmart resolution, to HIGH resolution. Use your imagination a little and think of all the possibilities.

Massengill, once again....
Given this highly intelligent 5th grade insult, maybe using your imagination might be asking too much...

Folks, we know that it is a Hoberman designed screen. Do your research on what they specialize in.

Yeah, I'm not sure why some still insist on saying it's going to be a fixed screen.

- We've been told it moves.

- We know the designer.

- And we've all seen the pics...

What else do some of you need?

Why?

What is the point of "stretching out" the screen if it is going to result in an image with poor resolution?

Like BVS said, you have to use your imagination to think of possibilities beyond a high-res cylindrical screen with fixed size and shape. Sure, this screen can do that, but the beauty (and unique potential) of the expandable Hoberman screen is that it provides the flexibility to do other stuff, too! Like, rather than just video images of the band, it could change shape to become a geometric grid for the kind of artsy stuff that Willie likes to surprise us with.

It's not always about having a big shot of Bono so folks in the nosebleeds can see him at every minute of the show....

Like BVS said, you have to use your imagination to think of possibilities beyond a high-res cylindrical screen with fixed size and shape. Sure, this screen can do that, but the beauty (and unique potential) of the expandable Hoberman screen is that it provides the flexibility to do other stuff, too! Like, rather than just video images of the band, it could change shape to become a geometric grid for the kind of artsy stuff that Willie likes to surprise us with.

It's not always about having a big shot of Bono so folks in the nosebleeds can see him at every minute of the show....

Precisely!

I'm just remembering during the award ceremony/television performances of GOYB they had lights spelling out words (I think...) and was wondering whether they could pull off a similar thing with these moveable screens etc There's really limitless capability!

Why?

pudgie... look at the photos, and do your research. you're 100% wrong on this. It's like trying to argue that the stage is square, not oval.

I suffer from tinnitus since 1 year ago when I went on a concert with Bruce Springsteen. I thought the sound was too bad with earplugs so I didn't use them. Now I really regret that, becuase since then I have a ringing sound in my ears and I always have to wear earplugs on concerts an cinema and so on. So for God sake...use earplugs. Rather a little worse sound for 2 hours during the concert, than an awful sound in your ears for the rest of your lives!

Bruce did the same thing to me last year in Milwaukee!! It's worth it to at least have a decent pair of earplugs on you, if nothing else . . . You can always take them off/put them in at will.

Thanks for that..unfortunately, mine didn't come on suddenly like that. It was gradual and the doc I'm seeing now said that was when I needed to begin treatment. Now it's full on and although I can block it out most of the time, it's very easy to slip and then it's there. I try not to be neg. about it but worse than the ringing is the ear pain w/ certain noises.

I have major allergies, but my system doesn't allow me to take Claritin or Nasonex. I've tried them both and they don't agree w/ me. I take a generic Loratadine. Doc thinks mine is nerve related. By the time I was 25 I had been to probably 50 concerts with no earplugs.

I hope yours never comes back :up: I wish I had been smarter when I was younger.

I thought this was a thread about stage design not hearing problems!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom