The album seems to be still progressing...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nick66 said:
Sorry, have to return from the Rush forums to dispense a few much-needed facts here. Once again, people can't separate their dislike of a certain kind of music from the facts.

Rush isn't a "niche" band, and comparing them in any way to a one hit wonder band like Aha is frankly, well, ignorant. As is dismissing them as a "Canadian band." Rush has a huge world wide following, and if you think only Canadians care about them you don't know WTF you're talking about.

Rush is one of the most successful recording acts of all time. The have 24 gold and 14 platinum records, and sales wise are only behind the Beatles and Stones in most consecutive gold or platinum records. They've sold 40 million records world-wide and for decades have received heavy airplay on AOR stations. They continue to play to sell out audiences in world tours and recently had released a well-received record. They've been incredibly influential to countless new bands, and have created some of the most iconic songs and albums in rock history.

Moreover, no one who knows the first thing about music would say that as musicians, the members of Rush, particularly Peart and Lee, are at the elite...i.e. among the best if not the best, at their respective instruments. And any member of Rush has forgotten more about playing than U2 ever knew (Lees vocals excepted). Not that Rush produces better music than U2, they don't, U2 is a classic case of the whole being better than the sum of its parts. But with regards to technical proficiency, it's not even close.

Yeah, they are definitely not for everyone, and understand they are not everyone's cut of tea. If you think they suck, no worries. Lots of people think they suck. Lots of people think U2 sucks. But if you've been listening to rock music since the 80's or 90's and have never heard a Rush song or think they're somehow not as important to Aha you don't have nearly the exposure to music you may think you've had.

I begun writing something like your post after i read a member here telling me that i could only say Rush are superior musicians (technically speaking) if i put U2, Stones and Beatles in a room together with Rush and had a kind of audition. Also the A-ha bull made me begin my post. I was really baffled by so many shit being written. And by how ppl act here like U2 was some kind of unanimous band who were not the butt of many jokes (not very different from Rush). But i decided it was useless: some ppl here have serious reading disabilities and i don't think i can write as half as good as someone like you, so it would be useless. But thanks, you said it all mate.

PS: i'm -at best - a casual Rush fan. But i have an open mind and i respect the facts.

Nick66 said:
Sorry, have to return from the Rush forums to dispense a few much-needed facts here. Once again, people can't separate their dislike of a certain kind of music from the facts.

Rush isn't a "niche" band historically, and comparing them in any way to a one hit wonder band like Aha is frankly, well, ignorant. As is dismissing them as a "Canadian band." Rush has a huge world wide following, and if you think only Canadians care about them you don't know WTF you're talking about. Rush is no more a Canadian provincial band than U2 is an Irish one.

Rush is one of the most successful recording acts of all time. The have 24 gold and 14 platinum records, and sales wise are only behind the Beatles and Stones in most consecutive gold or platinum records. They've sold 40 million records world-wide and for decades have received heavy airplay on AOR stations. They continue to play to sell out audiences in world tours and are one of the most successful touring bands of all time. They recently had released a well-received, #1 selling record. They've been incredibly influential to countless new bands, and have created some of the most iconic songs and albums in rock history. Like U2, they've had the same lineup since almost the beginning (Peart came in on the second record), remain close friends, and have avoided some of the ego and drug cliche's that plague most rock bands. Are they as commercially successful as U2? No, of course not, few bands are. But so what.

Moreover, no one who knows the first thing about music would say that as musicians, the members of Rush, particularly Peart and Lee, aren't at the elite...i.e. among the best if not the best, at their respective instruments. And any member of Rush has forgotten more about playing than U2 ever knew (Lees vocals excepted). Not that Rush produces better music than U2, they don't, U2 is a classic case of the whole being better than the sum of its parts. But with regards to technical proficiency, it's not even close.

Yeah, they are definitely not for everyone, and understand they are not everyone's cut of tea. If you think they suck, no worries. Lots of people think they suck. Lots of people think U2 sucks. But if you've been listening to rock music since the 80's or 90's and have never heard a Rush song or think they're somehow not as important to Aha you don't have nearly the exposure to music you may think you've had.

Dude, no one gives a fuck.

If we go by this thread

Are you being deliberately obtuse?

This isn't a Rush thread.

There have been Rush threads, and more than 2 people have commented that they know more than 2 Rush songs. Matter of fact, more than 2 people in THIS thread have commented to that effect.

You first tried to accuse me of raising the Rush issue. That was proven false.

Then you say noone knows more than 2 songs or can barely remember them. That is also false.

Your argument fails. Now back away slowly before I start posting Rush videos. :lol:

And by how ppl act here like U2 was some kind of unanimous band who were not the butt of many jokes (not very different from Rush).

No kidding...the irony of a U2 fan, especially one on a board like this, making fun of Rush, considering what people say about U2, is pretty rich. Especially coming from the guy who recently said this:

To this day, whenever I tell ANYONE U2 is my favorite band I get a look of sympathy.

I don't really care whether people like Rush or not, but it's the ignorance that's annoying. :)

Rush isn't a "niche" band historically, and comparing them in any way to a one hit wonder band like Aha is frankly, well, ignorant. As is dismissing them as a "Canadian band." Rush has a huge world wide following, and if you think only Canadians care about them you don't know WTF you're talking about. Rush is no more a Canadian provincial band than U2 is an Irish one.

Rush is one of the most successful recording acts of all time. The have 24 gold and 14 platinum records, and sales wise are only behind the Beatles and Stones in most consecutive gold or platinum records. They've sold 40 million records world-wide and for decades have received heavy airplay on AOR stations. They continue to play to sell out audiences in world tours and are one of the most successful touring bands of all time. They recently had released a well-received, #1 selling record. They've been incredibly influential to countless new bands, and have created some of the most iconic songs and albums in rock history. Like U2, they've had the same lineup since almost the beginning (Peart came in on the second record), remain close friends, and have avoided some of the ego and drug cliche's that plague most rock bands. Are they as commercially successful as U2? No, of course not, few bands are. But so what.

Moreover, no one who knows the first thing about music would say that as musicians, the members of Rush, particularly Peart and Lee, aren't at the elite...i.e. among the best if not the best, at their respective instruments. And any member of Rush has forgotten more about playing than U2 ever knew (Lees vocals excepted). Not that Rush produces better music than U2, they don't, U2 is a classic case of the whole being better than the sum of its parts. But with regards to technical proficiency, it's not even close.

Yeah, they are definitely not for everyone. If you think they suck, no worries. Lots of people think they suck. Lots of people think U2 sucks. But if you've been listening to rock music since the 80's or 90's and have never heard a Rush song or think they're somehow not as important to Aha you don't have nearly the exposure to music you may think you've had.

Didn't even read this. I can sum it up. You like Rush, blah, blah, blah, blah.....

This is suppose to be about U2's next album. Not about a band most people here could give two shits about.

Please go back to your Rush forum where someone will actually care about this post. Thanks! :wave:

we have a whole freaking forum for discussing bands that aren't u2. if you guys want to continue the discussion someone can make a thread for it there, but this is for the progression of the latest u2 album.

if there's nothing to discuss, then there's always the option of not posting in here.

I begun writing something like your post after i read a member here telling me that i could only say Rush are superior musicians (technically speaking) if i put U2, Stones and Beatles in a room together with Rush and had a kind of audition. Also the A-ha bull made me begin my post. I was really baffled by so many shit being written. And by how ppl act here like U2 was some kind of unanimous band who were not the butt of many jokes (not very different from Rush). But i decided it was useless: some ppl here have serious reading disabilities and i don't think i can write as half as good as someone like you, so it would be useless. But thanks, you said it all mate.

PS: i'm -at best - a casual Rush fan. But i have an open mind and i respect the facts.

I was not making fun of Rush. I understand they have a good fanbase and they are good musicians. I gave them a shot, I went and saw them live and could not wait for it to be done. :shrug: I just don't get the comparison to the artists mentioned or why they are being brought up in this thread. Maybe some care, but most here do not. Sorry.

KhanadaRhodes said:
we have a whole freaking forum for discussing bands that aren't u2. if you guys want to continue the discussion someone can make a thread for it there, but this is for the progression of the latest u2 album.

if there's nothing to discuss, then there's always the option of not posting in here.

As i'm new here and don't have 40.000 posts nor do i know every single corner of this huge forum, thanks for the information.

Blue Room said:
Maybe I should post some new album samples to get this thread back on track. :wink:

If they sound anything like HTDAAB, i'd rather not listen, sir.

Exactly. It's not The Rush forum. We care about Aha more than The Rush here.

Now, either discuss U2 or get thee to the The Rush message board.

I guess it flew right over your head that the directive was issued to all parties in the conversation, both pro and anti. Feel free to put your comparisons to vote over on B&C, tho!

So see you on over there! :D

Let me summarize this:

Aha has a new single ('Take On Me' or whatever its name is) and will be supporting U2 on their next world tour, while Rush are going to play U2's instruments on stage, because they're technically more proficient.

Cobbler is obviously the cool kid of this forum, that's why.

You don't mess with him and his Braves cap.

Please do. Or fabricate anything remotely sounding like U2, so we can at least get people back to talking about them again. :wink:

Unfortunately I do not have the capability to fabricate anything. I cannot play a single musical instrument and I'm not blessed with any musical talent (IE: I can't sing either!). I think it is one reason I have such an appreciation for those that have that talent. :shrug:

Unfortunately I do not have the capability to fabricate anything. I cannot play a single musical instrument and I'm not blessed with any musical talent (IE: I can't sing either!). I think it is one reason I have such an appreciation for those that have that talent. :shrug:

Bugger. Perhaps we could take some obscure live tracks and put them through a laundrymachine filter, and it'll sound like a completely new U2 song! :D

Aha... were a one hit wonder
What's really ironic is that people are using A-ha as the standard of one-hit wonders when A-ha were not even close to being a one-hit wonder.

3 A-ha albums made the American charts, while 5 make the British top 20.

'Take on Me' is their only huge American hit -- but not the only hit. Their next single also make the US top 20.

More to the point, A-ha have been a fairly enormous band in several territories (no, not only Norway). They've had 8 top 10 hits in Britain, and 'Take On Me' wasn't the highest charting. Most amazing was their audience in Brazil. Here's a wiki-quote:
"A-ha were very popular in South America, especially in Brazil, where the band sold out some of the largest stadiums in the world. At the Rock in Rio II festival in January 1991, A-ha shocked the international entertainment press by drawing an audience of 198,000 at Maracanã stadium for their top-billed evening concert—a Guinness World Record for paying audiences. In contrast, the other performers (George Michael, Prince, and Guns N' Roses) each drew less than a third of that audience, 60,000 each."

My point is not to venerate A-ha, but to point out that calling Rush supporters idiots by using A-ha as your standard of disinterest is to be just as idiotic as the Rush supporters.

(By the way, Adam Clayton liked A-ha.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom