Tension between band members

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marik

Refugee
We have all heard the post-2000 comments by Larry disapproving of Bono's extra-cirlicular buddy photo-ops,etc, and of course the tension around AB's creation- and the story of Larry missing a ride to rehearsal. And even in the early days Edge allegedy punching Bono in the face and he tossed the drum kit.

But besides these common-knowlege stories, I was wondering about the lesser talked about friction between Edge and Adam. The only quote that comes to mind right now is Edge saying something like "there are many stories of how each band member has been there for me. There have been periods of time when Adam and myself didnt get along, but yet when I left my 1st wife, I stayed at Adam's place". I dont know where this quote is from, or what time period, but I'm interested as to if we can narrow down the time frame. It sounds like it was pre-AB, the way Edge makes it sound like he stayed with Adam despite having differences in the past. Of course, he could have just worded it that way, and the friction happen after AB.

Maybe Edge took it most to heart after the missed Sydney gig? Maybe it dates back as far as the Shalom days?

Anyone have any insight to offer?

Not a somewhat related note, I know Bono has talked about friction with Gavin/Guggi over some time, and then he came back to them more grounded. I zeroed it down to some time between '82-'86- but have no idea how long it lasted within those years. There are conflicting stories of which year on Bono's b-day he got his car TP'ed as a joke, and it occured to me this incident may have actually been part of the tension and not just a friendly prank. any Insight?

Interesting topic, it really has always seemed like there's a closer relationship between the PUBLICITY U2 members, and another close alliance with the rhythm section members. But while Larry might have disagreed with Bono's choices in focus extracurricularly, they're clearly friends for life, which is why its so much to watch them live, they're doing it because they have so much fun together. 'One' really can describe them, all close relationships are tested, and there's times when you really have to just back off, but then you look back on the situation and why you were together in the first place, and you humble yourself in order to fix things and recognize that your differences are what make you a team. For that they're also an inspiration.

That said, Bono & Edge, a decades-long bromance going on there.

I had a thread on this very topic a year or two ago (same title, too, I think), but I can't remember what became of it.

Anyway, in addition to what's been stated:

Adam & Edge -- tension, sure, because I get the feeling that Edge is (a) the hardest-working U2er and (b) arguably the most 'straightlaced' in lifestyle and belief-systems. These are both in sharp contrast to Adam, particularly in his younger days.

But on the other hand, it's worth remembering that Edge and Adam are the two sort-of non-Irish members, and they are also the first members of U2 to meet each other. They met as young kids (maybe age 9 or so?) when Adam first came to Ireland for good. I don't think they were close, but they knew each other long before knowing any other members in the band. They're also the only two guys that have had woman-problems and major life shake-ups due to this.

Adam & Bono -- Bono's asking Adam to be his best man way back in 1982 was a very nice gesture, and I think Adam has also held Bono (and Bono's arty teenage friends) in high-esteem. They all welcomed Adam and never judged him (which, I suspect, Larry and Edge are more likely to have done). Adam talked about this a little bit in "U2 by U2".

I get the feeling Bono sometimes wishes all of U2 could be more like Adam (ie., like rock stars) instead of saintly, earnest professionals; likewise, we know that Adam probably envies Bono's confidence and stability in his relationships, friends, etc.

Adam & Larry -- On the one hand, very close because they're the rhythm section and "musical conscience" and it's their duty to shut down Bono and Edge's more ridiculous pretensions. On the other hand, straight-laced Larry could obviously be riled by Adam's easy-going, model-dating, rolling-stone lifestyle. I thought it was cute how Larry went to New York in 1995 with Adam to "keep an eye on him" or whatever they said.

Larry & Edge -- This, to me, is the hardest one to read. They seem to enjoy deflating one another at times ("Edge is on a completely different time, as usual!"). But then again, it was Edge who sucker-punched Bono in defense of Larry back in 1981. They seem by far the most socially conservative and modest mannered.

Larry & Bono -- A bit of a big brother role to Bono here, especially in the early days, but I'm sure it lingers still. Larry probably idolized Bono to some extent when they were teens. They are also the two really Irish members of U2. Like Larry and Edge, these two seem to enjoy deflating each other at times ("Larry was 14... still is!" -- "...Bono's atrocious guitar playing").

Bono & Edge -- I think this is really interesting. As the flagship members, they have to "keep up appearances", and I've never heard of any major incident between them (excepting the infamous attack by Edge way back in '81). Musically, too, they seem to usually be on the same note (as in 1990/91 when they were set against Adam and Larry somewhat in wanting to push the band's sound further). Yet I doubt they are as close as some of the other "twosomes", and I bet it's something to do with how important their professional collaboration is. Really, the collaboration between them (and the sound the two of them make) is the very essence of U2. I would think that they respect that, but they probably also keep a "slight" professional distance there to maintain it, in a way that, say, Bono and Larry don't need to.

Just my thoughts and impressions, but then again what do we all really know? Interesting dudes, though.

Larry and Bono have been very close since their youth, both lost their mothers early, I think there is a very strong bond between them and since it's not a "public" relationship, most people don't see how strong their connection is. Being close to each other, loving and respecting each other doesn't mean that you can not disagree on things or contradict each other. The band members have made it clear that they are four very different individuals and that they argue a lot and that their arguments have basically led to them still being together. Their connection to each other is very strong and something I totally admire.

Bono & Edge -- I think this is really interesting. As the flagship members, they have to "keep up appearances", and I've never heard of any major incident between them (excepting the infamous attack by Edge way back in '81). Musically, too, they seem to usually be on the same note (as in 1990/91 when they were set against Adam and Larry somewhat in wanting to push the band's sound further). Yet I doubt they are as close as some of the other "twosomes", and I bet it's something to do with how important their professional collaboration is. Really, the collaboration between them (and the sound the two of them make) is the very essence of U2. I would think that they respect that, but they probably also keep a "slight" professional distance there to maintain it, in a way that, say, Bono and Larry don't need to.

Just my thoughts and impressions, but then again what do we all really know? Interesting dudes, though.

I wouldn't be too sure about the not being as close/professional distance part (I know you said slight though), only because of this quote by Edge from relatively recent 360 Tour/Spider-man Interviews. (see the final sentence in particular):

I spoke to the Edge, who is in New York working on Spider-Man songs. “I’ve never written a waltz before,” he says, feeling pleased to have risen to a challenge. How does it affect him, Bono not being there much of the time? “It works pretty well. Ideas come to him quickly. In a funny way, it may work better for us to have him coming and going. If you’re working on a project for a long time you probably struggle with it, because I’m the guy working most closely with the music, initially on my own. So what I really love is being able to hear it through Bono’s ears.”

The Edge and Bono are that close. It’s not a problem for him to hear through his ears. They choose to spend time together, even though they get to spend less time together now. “He always relishes coming back,” says the Edge, “which is another good thing. U2 gave Bono a platform and the opportunity, so in many ways Bono’s work is just an extension of the band. Our life informs our music. It’s a natural development. The interest in civil rights was there from the start. We don’t necessarily agree on every single aspect of his work. For instance, when he did his photo with George Bush, I was set against it because photos speak so loudly. There was some disquiet from U2 fans, but ultimately I think what he did turned out to be right.” Has your relationship with him changed? “No. We are very close. He is my best friend.”

Bono and Edge get more spotlight, harder to say for the others. If VH1 Legends is anything to go by, Larry-Bono is also a strong bond.

But the list of times they held on together is long. Bono talking to Edge and letting him choose in 1982, Edge staying at Larry's (or was that Adam?) in 1991, Adam staying at Larry's in the 90's and Larry convincing him to sober up, Edge and Larry carrying the casket for Bob Hewson in 2001...

They all hate each other, mainly because they're jealous or Reggie the dog's facial mole.

They're a bunch of petty bastards.

I wouldn't be too sure about the not being as close/professional distance part (I know you said slight though), only because of this quote by Edge from relatively recent 360 Tour/Spider-man Interviews. (see the final sentence in particular):

Exactly, I mean come on, they're both filthy rich and they share a house in France.

I think Edge saying of Bono "We are very close. He is my best friend" (as Comet posted) is one of the most endearing things I've ever heard.

I love how close they all seem to be. They remind me of brothers...they might bicker and scuffle, but they love eachother :)

Well, I'm sure Edge and Bono are extremely close -- there's an necessary intimacy there when you trust each other completely with your personal stuff -- songs, lyrics, music, etc. Edge and Bono share that stuff together, and then later the world hears it. They both live and die professionally according to what each other does with their mutual stuff. (Not to leave Larry and Adam out of it, but I interpret the Bono/Edge dynamic as the most essential pivot the U2 songwriting axis.) When I say "a slight distance" above, I don't mean they aren't close -- I mean, they are aware of the professional obligation each has to the other and they respect it.

It's obviously a charming aspect of U2 that the guys are all so supportive of each other. You can definitely imagine any of them together, in the senior's home, being fed lunch together and reminiscing about the old days.

I always imagine Bono and Edge are going to go on to play stripped-down acoustic-type shows when they're both 70, a la Leonard Cohen, Bob Dylan.

adam stole larry's stapler.

I believe you have my stapler.

35b5r3r.jpg

There was an article last year where Brian Eno (I think) said that he told the band that the Smithsonian should do a scientific study on them because they have stayed together for so long. I really do think that it would be interesting to look at U2 from a sociological/anthropological/psychological perspective.

Remember that recent interview with all the members except Larry where Adam said he was staying in the hotel room where Michael Jackson dangled his baby from the window? That was interesting to me because Bono's response was, "Shall we do that with Larry?" Why would that be the first thing to come into Bono's mind when Adam said that? My impression was of coworkers poking fun at their boss while he isn't there; I think Larry is still in charge. I don't know where I'm going with this, but their interactions are really interesting to me.

Larry and Bono have been very close since their youth, both lost their mothers early, I think there is a very strong bond between them and since it's not a "public" relationship, most people don't see how strong their connection is. Being close to each other, loving and respecting each other doesn't mean that you can not disagree on things or contradict each other. The band members have made it clear that they are four very different individuals and that they argue a lot and that their arguments have basically led to them still being together. Their connection to each other is very strong and something I totally admire.

I have always thought Bono/Larry to be the strongest bond in the band, and the most overlooked. It is there, and anyone I know who is a long time fan does corroborate this! Plus, a lot of my reading on U2 indicates to me that this is the case.

65980 said Edge/Larry was the hardest to read, and I agree 100%!

A few observations from an over analytical fan:

1.)Larry/Edge have the least amount of on stage interaction between them. This could be because Edge has enough to worry about, getting the guitar right, back up vocals, being Bono's co pilot, getting chased by him on the catwalk, etc. It could also be because he simply realizes Larry does not really like to be bothered back there- remember the look he gave Bono when he smashed a cymbal with the microphone during An Cat Dubh on Vertigo DVD?

I mean, Bono just will be Bono no matter what, so he does not care, and Adam kind of has to interact with Larry drummer to play bass, but Edge, I think just decides to stay out of his way/has other things to think about.

2.)There was the incident with "Gone" Elevation Boston, where Edge threw the guitar, kicked it and then seemingly laid into Larry for ending the song too early or otherwise perceiving that he screwed him up.

3.)But there was also New Haven, as others have pointed out, where he set Bono straight for going after Larry.

4.) They seem to be together the least! Interviews, promotional appearances, positioning of band members in photos, etc.

I think that Larry in general is hard to read. He can come off as not particularly warm or charming when on stage.

I can personally attest. I worked security for the Somerville promo gig, and it is just like this:

A.)He beats the hell out of those drums and there is an INTENSE focus. Seriously, my bones rattled and my chest and neck pulsed every single time he hit a bass drum or a cymbal! Especially the crashes during Breathe, which were going right into my throat!

B.)He plays in a lot of pain, obviously. Tendonitis, back issues, etc. As a result, and again, I was 8 feet from him the whole show, he often shows it!

Even though I am well aware of A and B, I kept thinking the whole time "Larry looks PISSED at me, like he is directly looking at me and thinking he will fucking kill me." And this was an hour after I had a conversation with him about my aunt's first show in 1980 and before he talked to me after the show as they were leaving! I of course knew he was the nice, down to earth, not a mean bone in the body Larry we are familiar with, but while he was up there on stage, wow!

It was to the point where I kept thinking "am I dreaming?" "did I unknowingly man handle some innocent patron out the door like a hells angel security guard and Larry noticed and is now pissed at me?"

I know I won't make any sense to the average person here, but that is literally how intense he is behind the kit, with no exaggeration at all. If you are near him, you will think he is mad and you will think he is staring a hole through your head!

But talk to him 10 minutes before or after and the best way I can describe it is he comes off exactly the same as he did in the R&H interview where he is sitting at the table talking about Elvis as "Heartland" segues into "Bad." Polite, deferential, smiles and is willing to have a conversation, not just a "hey" on the way by.

So bottom line, he is hard to read!

Does anybody know offhand which interview it is where they talk about the infamous "Edge-attacks-Bono-onstage" incident? I think it was around the Atomic Bomb period...?

I admire the nine year bump for a Redhill reference

I’m having a chuckle at the idea that Bono and Edge aren’t really that close. Bedge was a popular topic in PLEBA back in the day.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom