Swampy Summit, Otago Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The black/white quota for South Africa is going to hurt them. They haven't developed black players at a lower level so they're going to have effectively half a team that hasn't been pushed properly.

I can understand the reasoning for the quotas, but wouldn't it be much more preferable to put in a lot more effort into developing the game in black communities? ie. facilities.

I wonder if their sports minister will come good on his promise to dig up dirt on the team's coaching staff if they lost.

Overall South Africa come under my "don't care" point.

I'm 50% Kiwi, 50% Scottish. Guess how few fucks I give?

One thing I notice that's different in attitudes between Australia and New Zealand, at least those I know, is that people in NZ respect South Africa as a sporting rival and generally give it little further thought, figuring it has moved on in most respects from Apartheid, while in Australia it's amazing how much hatred there is for South Africa and white South Africans.

Also fuck the person nearby who's having a barbecue. Damn that smells tasty.

One thing I notice that's different in attitudes between Australia and New Zealand, at least those I know, is that people in NZ respect South Africa as a sporting rival and generally give it little further thought, figuring it has moved on in most respects from Apartheid, while in Australia it's amazing how much hatred there is for South Africa and white South Africans.

Is there? I've encountered a few of them, and I don't think I've ever heard any animosity towards them in day to day life. At the same time, I can definitely understand it, especially when you consider the term 'packing for Perth', and I have heard of instances of white South Africans coming to Australia before going back.

Is there? I've encountered a few of them, and I don't think I've ever heard any animosity towards them in day to day life. At the same time, I can definitely understand it, especially when you consider the term 'packing for Perth', and I have heard of instances of white South Africans coming to Australia before going back.

Nobody in Melbourne can understand why I would barrack for South Africa over Australia. It always brings out really vehement comments about South Africans (i.e. the whites) being racist scum. They get even more riled up than if you go for England in the Ashes!

The black/white quota for South Africa is going to hurt them. They haven't developed black players at a lower level so they're going to have effectively half a team that hasn't been pushed properly.

I know, affirmative action is pretty shitty.

Mack, you really need to stop making comments on issues you know virtually nothing about. It will hold you in good stead for the future.

Nobody in Melbourne can understand why I would barrack for South Africa over Australia. It always brings out really vehement comments about South Africans (i.e. the whites) being racist scum. They get even more riled up than if you go for England in the Ashes!

I once knew an Afrikaner in high school, was in the cadets. And had conservative social views to boot IIRC.

Sorry, I do take offence to the issue easily. All of my South African friends are black and they know how bad it was.

it's more about my (vague) hate toward any race-related quota. not that I agree with segregation and all that but I don't think to improve race relations it's not really the great solution.

it's more about my (vague) hate toward any race-related quota. not that I agree with segregation and all that but I don't think to improve race relations it's not really the great solution.

I generally agree with you.

But systematic racism like South Africa has had forces your hand. Something needed to be done, it won't be a fast solution, but it needs to happen.

I generally agree with you.

But systematic racism like South Africa has had forces your hand. Something needed to be done, it won't be a fast solution, but it needs to happen.

I thought Harvard went insane when they (apparently) excluded many Asian kids from school because there were too many of them already.....I get what they wanted to do but something as prestigious as Harvard explicitly saying it felt weird.

But I know South Africa has some different situation compared to US so i guess things are different and probably more urgent/serious

I thought Harvard went insane when they (apparently) excluded many Asian kids from school because there were too many of them already.....I get what they wanted to do but something as prestigious as Harvard explicitly saying it felt weird.

It's not okay. If you set an entry standard, then....fuck you if you have to deal with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom