Summer Rain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tackleberry

War Child
I recently revisted ATYCLB and wondered a little about "Summer Rain".....

Maybe they could have replaced this song with Grace. I like Grace its a good closer, but Summer Rain maybe could have worked as a better closer. Its really a good song and I'm sad it was left ooff the final album decision.

What yall think?

Also, The Ground Beneth Her Feet on "all" albums, US and rest of the world? This song could have given the 2nd half of the album a boost. Not that this can change anything, but its fun to argue about and discuss.

I think Grace works fine on ATYCLB. I'm not really good at swapping out songs and saying this or that definitely should or should not have been included on an album.
As far as Summer Rain, I seriously love that song (listened to it this morning, so glad it's on the B-sides) but am not sure how it would have fit into the ATYCLB mix. It would have been cool to have another little rocker on there, poor Elevation kicking it all by its lonesome, but for whatever reason the band decided not to include it. Who knows what state Summer Rain was in when the actual album was being put together, maybe it needed extra work and that's why it was put over into the B-side pile.

i don't think it would work to end the album better than "grace". i like the song a lot, i like it a lot more than i like "grace."

but as dsmith, said, yeah we don't really know what state the song was in.

While I personally prefer "Summer Rain" over "Grace", I think that "Grace" is a very beautiful album closer.

ATYCLB tracklisting. What it should've been.

1.Beautiful Day
2.Stuck in a moment
3.Elevation
4.Summer Rain
5.Walk on
6.Kite
7.In a little while
8. Wild honey
9.Peace on earth
10.When I look at the world
11.New York
12.The ground beneath her feet
13.Grace

no, in a little while has to be track 6. i don't have an explaination, it just needs to be number 6.

dsmith2904 said:
Who knows what state Summer Rain was in when the actual album was being put together, maybe it needed extra work and that's why it was put over into the B-side pile.

Summer Rain was on the the first version of the Beautiful Day single which came out before the album so it would have been ready ifthey had wanted to use it.

The_acrobat said:
ATYCLB tracklisting. What it should've been.

1.Beautiful Day
2.Stuck in a moment
3.Elevation
4.Summer Rain
5.Walk on
6.Kite
7.In a little while
8. Wild honey
9.Peace on earth
10.When I look at the world
11.New York
12.The ground beneath her feet
13.Grace

That would've been a good listing. I'd have liked that.

I'm glad they kept "Grace" as their closer for the album-"Summer Rain" isn't a song I can see being a closer to an album.

I do love "Summer Rain", though, and if they had included it on ATYCLB, I would not have minded that at all.

Angela

I have to agree that Grace works well for closing out the album. I've actually been listening to Summer Rain quite a bit lately and do think it would have made a great addition to the album...not sure what other song I would have sacrificed.

I think it came down between Summer Rain and Wild Honey......I remember Adam saying that the band wanted something light on the album.

Summer Rain should have made the cut, there would have been no harm in having 12 songs instead of 11.

I absolutely loved Summer Rain the first time I heard it but if anything was left off of ATYCLB that shouldn't have been it's The Ground Beneath Her Feet. I think that song is too strong to be a B-side or a song on a movie soundtrack. I know it was released in other countries on ATYCLB but it shoud have been released on the US version as well. :)

I'm an avid supporter of "Grace" :up:

It's a beautiful lullaby to end a tumultous album. The smooth bass and Bono's soft vocals are a sort of mental pillow on which to rest. I love listening to it right before bed and right before I leave my room in the morning.

It's that softness, sweetness, hopefulness, etc. that "Summer Rain" lacks which makes "Grace" the perfect end note of an incredible album.

:hug: "Grace" :hug:

arw9797 said:
I absolutely loved Summer Rain the first time I heard it but if anything was left off of ATYCLB that shouldn't have been it's The Ground Beneath Her Feet. I think that song is too strong to be a B-side or a song on a movie soundtrack. I know it was released in other countries on ATYCLB but it shoud have been released on the US version as well. :)

It actually was slated to be released as a single for the MDH soundtrack... but then the studio decided not to promote the movie widely and the single got lost in the rush of other things :(

IMO, TGBHF doesn't really belong on ATYCLB. 1) Because U2 didn't write the lyrics 2) because it was really written in conjunction with the movie 3) it doesn't really fit with the theme of the rest of the album

:shrug: If only the guys would tell us why they make these decisions! argh! ;)

oh I forgot that they didn't right the lyrics for The Ground Beneath Her Feet. I guess that wouldn't have mattered to me when I first bought the album. I had only been a fan for about 6 months when the album came out...I know that's ridiculous isn't it???...so I don't think I would have paid attention to the writting credits.

Well I still think the song is too strong to have just basically ended up being a B-side song.

I guess I'm in the minority. I've never really been all that impressed with Summer Rain and can see why it stayed a b-side. The lyrics are alright, but as a whole it just doesn't do much for me. :shrug:

People, please. I could go on for hours about what songs should've went on the album instead of b-sides or whatever. Which is why I've created my own versions of the album with some extra tracks on it! :eeklaugh:

Boy- added "Another Day", "Boy/Girl", and "11:00 tick tock studio version" to beef it up some more.
October- added "A Celebration"
War- Added "Treasure"
UF- added Three Sunrises and Love comes tumbling.
JT- added "Spanish eyes", "Walk to the water" and "Silver and Gold"
AB- added "Salome"
Zooropa- added "HMTMKMKM" and "Slow dancing", which were supposed to be on Zooropa anyway.
Pop- added "Holy Joe" and "North and South"
ATYCLB- added "Summer Rain", "GBHF", and "Stateless".

When the next album comes out, I'll probably add Electrical Storm and Hands that built America to it. Just something to think about.

Good idea, The_acrobat-good choices for songs to add.

hippy said:
I'm an avid supporter of "Grace" :up:

It's a beautiful lullaby to end a tumultous album. The smooth bass and Bono's soft vocals are a sort of mental pillow on which to rest. I love listening to it right before bed and right before I leave my room in the morning.

It's that softness, sweetness, hopefulness, etc. that "Summer Rain" lacks which makes "Grace" the perfect end note of an incredible album.

:hug: "Grace" :hug:

:yes:.

Exactly.

U2's good at ending a lot of their albums on the right note-"40" is a great way to end War, "Love Is Blindness" is a great way to end Achtung Baby, "MLK" is a great way to end The Unforgettable Fire, and "Grace" is a great way to end ATYCLB.

Funny, when I first heard "Grace" I thought it was just okay, but now I really like that song (it was in my head today). It's pretty.

Angela

The_acrobat said:
People, please. I could go on for hours about what songs should've went on the album instead of b-sides or whatever. Which is why I've created my own versions of the album with some extra tracks on it! :eeklaugh:

Boy- added "Another Day", "Boy/Girl", and "11:00 tick tock studio version" to beef it up some more.
October- added "A Celebration"
War- Added "Treasure"
UF- added Three Sunrises and Love comes tumbling.
JT- added "Spanish eyes", "Walk to the water" and "Silver and Gold"
AB- added "Salome"
Zooropa- added "HMTMKMKM" and "Slow dancing", which were supposed to be on Zooropa anyway.
Pop- added "Holy Joe" and "North and South"
ATYCLB- added "Summer Rain", "GBHF", and "Stateless".

When the next album comes out, I'll probably add Electrical Storm and Hands that built America to it. Just something to think about.

I agree with a few of your choices. I definitely think A Celebraton and Spanish Eyes should have been added onto albums, so I too have made extended versions of some albums to include the songs I think are missing. :)

Blacksword said:
Wild Honey should have been a B-side. It's just too light and too pop. Catchy but altogether forgettable.
I think that the album needed some light and catchy songs like "Elevation" and "Wild Honey" between the big, epic walk-up-to-you-and-slap-you-around-some-while-screaming-"I'M-IMPORTANT!" songs like "Kite" and "When I Look at the World."

I think "Summer Rain" would've been very nice on ATYCLB. I don't think many of the songs Acrobat stuffed into their nearest albums fit in, though; "Spanish Eyes" would be more out of place on the Joshua Tree than "Trip Through Your Wires."

And I'm fine with "The Ground Beneath Her Feet" just being on the Million Dollar Hotel soundtrack, because that has its own feel that makes it a good, coherent listen every now and then. It's really a shame that project didn't become a complete U2 album, because I find its mood very different from ATYCLB and it'd stand very well on its own if it didn't have a bunch of soundtrack instrumentals and Milla Jovovich screaming and such tossed in.

Last edited:
Blacksword said:

Summer Rain was on the the first version of the Beautiful Day single which came out before the album so it would have been ready ifthey had wanted to use it.

gee, that is a great historical factoid. meanwhile, here in the U.S. of A. we got Summer Rain AND Always, right there on our Target disks, songs number one and two. :scream:

U2 music just hasn't been the same since!

my personal op on this is that this song, Summer Rain, would best be played in the Summer. or summer, to be correct.

:dancing:

no alarms, no surprises, and that is no joke! :heart:

edited for mistakes, galore, this early bright mourn...

Last edited:
DebbieSG said:
gee, that is a great historical factoid. meanwhile, here in the U.S. of A. we got Summer Rain AND Always, right there on our Target disks, songs number one and two. :scream:
By the way, does anyone know where I can find another copy of 7?

Summer Rain is a nice song, but it`s ok that they only released it as an B-Side.

I think that "Walk to the water" is U2`s best B- Side. It should have been added onto JT or R&H.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom