Stuart Adamson found dead!... :-(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Fanatic4ever

Blue Crack Addict
As been going on for a while..all wondering what happened to Stuart Adamson of Big Country..Well, now we know..saw this today..thought I would share it.. Poor guy ...what a shame..another sad day...
frown.gif

And what's even more weird..is he died right here in hawaii...I feel so strange...

Monday December 17 11:59 AM ET
Former Big Country Frontman Dies at 43
LONDON (Reuters) - The former lead singer of 1980s headlining Scottish rock group Big Country has been found dead in a hotel room, his manager said Monday.

Stuart Adamson, 43, who had global hits in the 1980s, was found dead in Hawaii Sunday, his manager Ian Grant said.

``I have just lost one of the finest people I have ever worked with or been lucky enough to know,'' Grant said in a statement released on his official Web site.

He was not immediately available to comment on the cause of death.

``Stuart Adamson was found dead in a hotel room in Hawaii yesterday,'' Grant said. ``I have no more news other than that at present.''

British media reported that Adamson had been fighting alcoholism.

Big Country's guitar-driven formula helped them to a string of British hits in the 1980s, including ``In a Big Country'' and ''Fields of Fire.''

The band sold more than 10 million records, had seven hit albums and 17 top 30 singles in the United Kingdom, the group's publicist said.

Adamson left the public eye and moved to the United States in the late 1990s after the hits dried up.

He sparked widespread press speculation over his health in November 1999 when he failed to turn up for a UK concert supporting Canadian singer Bryan Adams.

Born in Manchester in northwest England and brought up in Scotland, Adamson's early career began in Fife, Scotland, in the 1970s when he formed punk band The Skids.

He went on to form Big Country in the early 1980s.

The band earned two Grammy Award nominations for the 1983 album ``The Crossing'' and went on to tour with the Rolling Stones.

Peace...all!

------------------
If you twist and turn away
If you tear yourself in two again
If I could, yes I would
If I could, I would
Let it go
Surrender
Dislocate

[This message has been edited by U2Fanatic4ever (edited 12-17-2001).]

Poor Stuart. Please pray for his family, everyone.

[This message has been edited by 80sU2isBest (edited 12-17-2001).]

Originally posted by 80sU2isBest:
Poot Stuart. Please pray for his family, everyone.

Just came back from a New Model Army concert and then i read this. I have tears in my eyes.

Rust zacht Stuart, sha.

This is just terrible. I cannot believe he has passed on. We have lost one of the greatest rock musicians of all time. But his spirit lives on as well as the powerful soul moving music he composed with his bandmates in Big Country! May God Bless and support Stuart, his family and friends!

Oh Lord, where did the feeling go.
Oh Lord, I never felt so low.

RIP

For a time in 1983-84 right after "The Crossing" and "War," you could have sworn Big Country had as much potential as U2 ...

For a number of reasons they never fulfilled that promise. Production, promotion, timing, were always just a little bit off and they lost that early momentum.

Still, they put out enough good stuff to make you wonder if maybe the promise of that early stuff might not have been a mirage, and this might have truly been one of the great lost bands of the 80s and 90s.

Just like INXS, maybe one or two breaks here and there and they would have made it all the way.

It wasn't to be, but I'll remember that promise whenever I hear the thundering beat and skirling guitars of "Fields of Fire (400 Miles)..."

Between a father and a son
Between the city and the one
Before the teacher and the test
Before the journey and the rest
The shining eye will never cry
The beating heart will never die
The house on fire holds no shame
I will be coming home again

400 miles without a word until you smile
400 miles on fields of fire

Between a woman and a boy
Between a child and his toy
Between a woman and a boy
Between a child and a toy
Before the following of the west
Before the journey and the rest

400 miles on fields of fire

RIP, Stuart.

Piece in today's paper says it was suicide...but doesn't elaborate on the exact cause.
Heard on a NH radio station this morning that he hanged himself...but don't know if that's credible or not.
Very sad.

Oh my god...this is just getting sadder..

I just saw the article today..and he was literally at a hotel right down the street from me.. I can walk there in like 10min or less, its that close. The hotel is right next to the honolulu airport. This is just weird and extremely sad..And yes it said he hung himself in the hotel room.

Gosh, that poor man was surely fighting those demons.. My heart just breaks for him and his family...My prayers and sympathy goes out to them! This is just aweful.

Peace!

------------------
If I could, yes I would
If I could, I would
Let it go
Surrender
Dislocate

[This message has been edited by U2Fanatic4ever (edited 12-18-2001).]

That is very difficult to believe that he killed himself. I wonder what was going on. I know Acoholism was there, but still. Very sad and very difficult to understand.
I'm listening to the extended edition of the Album the Crossing that I have on loan from Barlowdog. Its great and has 4 extra tracks, Angle Park, All Of Us, The Crossing, Heart & Soul. Everyone should have this album!

Wow, thats a great article with the Edge talking about Stuart. Thats one thing I don't have and would love to get now, is his stuff when he was with the skids.
I think Big Country's top 3 albums were Steeltown, The Crossing, and the Buffalo Skinners album. Their all great though, 8 studio albums by Big Country. But Big Country is an even better live band. I have New Years Eve shows from 1983 and 1993! Just Amazing. Also, I have the FINAL FLING tour from May 2000 which is awesome as well!

Check out this article...

Some nice things said by edge about Stuart's passing..

Here it is:

Stuart Adamson, 1958-2001
U2.com, December 19, 2001

http://www.u2.com

Following the death of Stuart Adamson, the Edge has spoken of his admiration for the Scotsman.

"I was very sorry to hear of the passing of Stuart Adamson. I was a fan of his both as guitar player and as a man.

He was a great inspiration to me when U2 were starting out. His first band the Skids made such a big noise and with songs like 'Into The Valley' and 'The Saints Are Coming' made most of the other music of the time seem mundane and insignificant.

Unfortunately the Skids didn't last long enough. I got to know Stuart when he was touring with Big Country -- the group he founded and led after The Skids broke up. Big Country was all about Stuart, he did the singing and was the principal song writer and guitar player.

Stuart made some great music during his career and his character came through everything he did. He had a heart as big as a mountain and he was a real romantic soul. He will be missed by all who loved his music and even more by those lucky enough to know him personally."

? U2.com, 2001.

Peace!

------------------
If I could, yes I would
If I could, I would
Let it go
Surrender
Dislocate

I was thinking about songs from Big Country's contemporaries that we might dedicate to Stuart (you know, bands that were always lumped in with Big Country - U2, The Alarm, Simple Minds, The Call, Runrig, etc.)
I'll start with "Walk Forever By My Side" by The Alarm.

Back
Top Bottom