Springsteen V ~ Super Bowl Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, Bruce.... come to South America, pleeeeaaasseeee!!!!!! :sad:

Kind of a weird schedule. They go from LA all the way to Boston, and they totally miss the Northwest. You'd think at least Seattle would be there, perhaps near the Denver date.

Maybe the Springsteen camp's map is missing everything north of the Bay Area. :grumpy:

Just picked this up today. Nice that he has the balls to open his album with an atmospheric 8-minute track. That's pretty cool. I love the Morricone-style harmonica, too.

As someone whose favorites off The Rising and Magic were Let's Be Friends and Girls in Their Summer Clothes, I don't mind this shift into classic-pop stylings. He's already proven he's still a rocker, I don't need him to necessarily keep doing it.

More later as I take it in...

I loved Girls in Their Summer Clothes, too. I was surprised a lot of people didn't care for it.

Whatever he does with the band, it's that big big sound I love. Nobody else sounds like that.

I didn't know today was the day. :doh:

I loved Girls in Their Summer Clothes, too. I was surprised a lot of people didn't care for it.

Whatever he does with the band, it's that big big sound I love. Nobody else sounds like that.

I didn't know today was the day. :doh:

I also really enjoy Girls In Their Summer Clothes. I thought it was an excellent pop song.

I don't mind him going in a pop-oriented direction, but several songs on this album just aren't as good as the last few.

There are people who don't like Girls In Their Summer Clothes?

People other than our dear martha, who has expressed her distaste for anything that even sounds remotely influenced by the Beach Boys? ;)

I love, love, love that song.

There are people who don't like Girls In Their Summer Clothes?

People other than our dear martha, who has expressed her distaste for anything that even sounds remotely influenced by the Beach Boys? ;)

I love, love, love that song.

Okay, maybe it's just martha and I thought that meant everyone. :reject:

Martha and me at least.

That song was ok the first few times...but man, I can't stand it now.

Girls In Their Summer Clothes >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Queen Of The Supermarket, which makes Get On Your Boots seem like mind-boggling lyrical genius in comparison.

Working On A Dream isn't a bad album though. Forgot to mention that earlier. It's too incoherent and cloyingly upbeat to hit me like classic Bruce does, but I don't mind it. My Lucky Day, Good Eye, and The Wrestler are keepers.

Pretty scathing review of some of the lyrics. I'm glad I didn't buy the DVD version, they're showing it on VH1 this weekend. Assuming it's the same "making of" as the DVD-it's 30 min and I think the DVD is 45.

This time it's personal
Springsteen's new CD leaves politics behind

By James Reed, Boston Globe Staff | January 25, 2009

Bruce Springsteen has always had a tendency to follow up a blockbuster with a curveball. If he's been consistent in anything, it's his predilection for surprise.

Just look at his catalog. After "The River" exalted him to arena-ready rock god in 1980, he released "Nebraska," an unvarnished acoustic gem that ruminated on the country's dismal state of affairs. The bombast of 1992's "Lucky Town" dovetailed into the quiet grace of "The Ghost of Tom Joad" three years later.

And no one was expecting 2006's "We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions," a rollicking, good-time folk album that preceded the full-throttle rock of last year's "Magic," which reunited Springsteen with the E Street Band.

Just 16 months later comes another surprising detour. "Working on a Dream," out Tuesday but already streaming in its entirety at NPR : National Public Radio : News & Analysis, World, US, Music & Arts, is a Springsteen album that doesn't sound like it has Bruce Springsteen at its core. That's an odd sensation considering that when you hear Springsteen's music you're always keenly aware of his persona - his history, his politics, that voice.

By turns jangly folk-rock and bright '60s-inspired pop, "Working on a Dream" presents Springsteen in a more personal state of mind. After the rallying spirit of "We Shall Overcome" and the seething anger of "Magic," it's glaring how apolitical the new album is. This is not Springsteen's soundtrack to the Obama administration.

It is, however, a sonically adventurous album, with the E Street Band again accompanying him. But the songwriting far too often feels like an afterthought, canned and jarringly shallow. We learn Springsteen is in love with the "Queen of the Market": "I take my place in the checkout line/ For one moment her eyes meet mine." I'm hesitant to repeat the rest of the lyric, but here goes: "And I'm lifted up, lifted up, lifted up, lifted up, lifted away."

Produced by Brendan O'Brien, who also worked on "The Rising," "Devils & Dust," and "Magic," the album opens with "Outlaw Pete," a driving, eight-minute epic flush with strings and a cliched cowboy storyline. The surprise in question on "Surprise, Surprise" is this clunker: "C'mon open your eyes and/ Let your love shine down."

Springsteen fares better when he explores the possibilities of a broad musical palette. He's nearly unrecognizable on "This Life," a sublime slice of power pop that would have suited Roy Orbison, with the Beach Boys on gilded harmonies. On "Good Eye," Springsteen takes a stab at cosmic blues with a cacophony of distorted sounds. But then the momentum is upended by "Kingdom of Days," which drivels out of the speakers with the kind of pat chorus you'd think Springsteen would be incapable of writing.

Curiously, "Working on a Dream" comes with a DVD on the making of the album, but it's safe to say this isn't a classic that warrants it. You'll just have to wait for the next curveball.

I have played WOAD quite a few times now and I am enjoying it. I think I may enjoy it even more during the summer months, just a gut feeling.
The song Working On A Dream is my least favorite.
I like Queen, right down to the cash register sounds :reject:. I have worked in retail for 20 years soooooooooooo that could explain it :lol:

"Queen of the Supermarket" is funnier than anything on the Lonely Island's record could possibly end up being.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom