SPOILERS - Vancouver Rehearsals Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just spit-balling, but maybe the current set only clocks in at 21 songs because there's a B-stage acoustic set, and they don't need to choreograph those songs with the screen or the light show?

Everything I've heard outside the stadium indicates Bono only singing/harmonica. Second time I 've said this in the 2017 spoiler thread. IGC was a slightly wonky arrangement to accommodate only a single guitar with Edge changing halfway thru.

For those that think there's 2 songs unknown to us that pop up in the setlist opening night, please cite the U2 rehearsal precedent for that. 2015 rehearse full set list format. Setlist may be a bit shorter to endure Bono singing demanding songs. May also explain the "easy" encore.

agreed - i readily encourage them to play new songs and mix up the setlist more often... heck, i'm even perhaps one of three people on these boards who doesn't think Miss Sarajevo is a "waste of a setlist spot."

I'm on board with Miss Sarajevo too. That makes four!

Mumford is horrible. Especially their new direction with electric guitar. Talk about some of the most boring, generic sounds you'll ever hear.

None of the opening acts look appealing. But then U2 really hasn't had that many good ones over the years.

Mumford is horrible. Especially their new direction with electric guitar. Talk about some of the most boring, generic sounds you'll ever hear.

None of the opening acts look appealing. But then U2 really hasn't had that many good ones over the years.

Beside Stereo MC s and Velvet Underground in 93

Man, closing with Out of Control :drool:

Must have felt pretty good leaving the venue!

Out of Control was such a great surprise to close that show. The energy from the band and the crowd was palpable. Personally, while I like the other closers they've used, OOC was the best.

Just spit-balling, but maybe the current set only clocks in at 21 songs because there's a B-stage acoustic set, and they don't need to choreograph those songs with the screen or the light show?

Even if they don't need to coordinate with production elements, they'd at least have played those songs in the venue by now for practice, to get a feel for the space, etc.

If the setlist stays roughly as we see it then things will need to change in Europe otherwise they will be playing Streets in the sunshine!

The tour is already shorter than past ventures and they are really shying away from back to back nights.

yeah i'm not sure i see that as a major factor. i'm not going to be disappointed if i see these 21 or 22 songs as is. would i like to see a couple more? yea, but if this is the end result, i'll go home happy.

If the setlist stays roughly as we see it then things will need to change in Europe otherwise they will be playing Streets in the sunshine!

For the outdoor gigs I've seen, it's usually been around dusk when the band comes on (8:45-9ish). So if Streets isn't played until a few songs in minimum, you should be good.

Hearing some audio eminating from BC Place. Volume low can't make it out.

Seems like another rehearsal day though

Twickenham has a pretty strict 10.30pm curfew I believe, Stagetime will need to be 8.00-8.15pm.
With the setlist as it stands, it will still be light when the JT segment starts.
For the lighting to be effective in London they would pretty much need to tail end the show with the JT set

Given they are getting older, I won't be surprised if it's only a 21 or 22-song set.

meh...

August 25, 2016 - MetLife Stadium - The River Tour 2016

1. New York City Serenade (with strings)
2. Prove It All Night
3. Night
4. No Surrender
5. Wrecking Ball
6. Sherry Darling
7. Spirit in the Night
8. My City of Ruins
9. Waitin' on a Sunny Day
10. Darkness on the Edge of Town
11. Lost in the Flood
12. Hungry Heart
13. Out in the Street
14. Death to My Hometown (with Tom Morello)
15. Youngstown
16. Jack of All Trades (with strings)
17. American Skin (41 Shots) (with Tom Morello)
18. The Promised Land
19. Cadillac Ranch
20. I'm a Rocker
21. Tougher Than the Rest
22. Because the Night
23. The Rising
24. The Ghost of Tom Joad (with Tom Morello)
25. Badlands (with Tom Morello)
* * *encore***
26. Backstreets
27. Born to Run
28. Dancing in the Dark
29. Rosalita
30. Tenth Avenue Freeze-out
31. Shout
32. Thunder Road
33. Jersey Girl

Run Time: 4 hours even
Singer age: 66 years, 11 months

U2 ain't Bruce - nobody is, and in no way do i ever expect the to match what he does.

But 21-22 and a set under 2 hours in length?

Need to beef it up a bit. Hit the 2 1/2 hour mark. How can we expect them to hit the road with a new album if they can't hit 2 1/2 hours on a stadium gig?

Here's hoping the rumour of an actual release is true - get a single and have it played live - capitalise on the goodwill and nostalgia with a song that might get the interest of the fans who have left them.

I can live with 21 songs, but if it ends up being only a 90 minute show, that's when I'd be a little put off. I was pissed when Coldplay pulled a 90 minute show - that's pretty shoddy at this level of fame.

Considering a bunch of their songs are usually pretty long, 21 songs should equal a decent-length show. Especially if Bono does a lot of yammering.

considering what this (mini) tour is all about, i think this is a pretty fantastic setlist judging by their rehearsals.

genuinely wish i could check this tour out

Wow, you are the last person from whom I expected such a positive post, especially considering the too-slow encore.

Running to Stand Still, In God's Country, and Exit are the three big ones. The only arrangement in which Bono has not played guitar on any of those three is on the ZooTV version of Running to Stand Still in which Edge played guitar instead of piano.

Obviously Bono has also played guitar at times on other songs, namely the better live versions of With or Without You, but I think that's been fully abandoned since about 1993.

I have no idea why Exit needs Bono on guitar. It's perfectly simple to play by yourself. Fuck, even I can play it and I'm such an appalling guitarist I can play barely any covers.

The only tour Bono's ever made a substantial contribution on guitar is on Lovetown, where he was a big part of songs like Watchtower and AIWIY. Otherwise, these wouldn't be the first songs to have Bono's guitar-playing come and go with almost no perceptible difference.

I really, really, really do not want them to pull out the old "pull up someone to play People Get Ready." Snooze. Not everything old has to be new again.

Oh god, and then "spontaneously" give them the guitar too like what ended up happening on the IE Tour.

Everything I've heard outside the stadium indicates Bono only singing/harmonica. Second time I 've said this in the 2017 spoiler thread. IGC was a slightly wonky arrangement to accommodate only a single guitar with Edge changing halfway thru.

For those that think there's 2 songs unknown to us that pop up in the setlist opening night, please cite the U2 rehearsal precedent for that. 2015 rehearse full set list format. Setlist may be a bit shorter to endure Bono singing demanding songs. May also explain the "easy" encore.

Just checked the reports from the last tour: Vancouver 2015 rehearsals reference - U2gigs.com

The tour began 14 May, though there was a big gap in rehearsals for their trip to NYC for Fallon. There was a full dress rehearsal gig on 8 May. It looks like the first night they did something close to the final setlist was 30 April - scroll down this article: Vancouver update, 11 May 2015 - U2gigs.com

The important difference is that they hadn't worked out the start yet. Elevation and California were still bouncing around there.

It seems 7 May was the only other day with a full set prior to the dress rehearsal, just from a quick squiz at the rehearsal articles: Vancouver update, 7 May 2015 - U2gigs.com

And the dress rehearsal actually had an incomplete set, clocking in at four songs shorter than opening night and with Beautiful Day opening the encore: Second Vancouver update, 8 May 2015 - U2gigs.com

I'm going to be both surprised and disappointed if they don't add something more lively to the encore, and if it doesn't close with 40. And there must be more songs rehearsed - Ordinary Love, the obvious one, hasn't shown up yet.

I thought there was a surprise opening night of iE, no?

Are you thinking of night four of the tour in San Jose, when The Electric Co. appeared out of nowhere? All we knew about that song previously is that there had been a guitar-only runthrough of it really early in the Vancouver rehearsals.

The big addition in Vancouver that had not been done during rehearsals was WLCTT on night two because BB King died.

Are you thinking of night four of the tour in San Jose, when The Electric Co. appeared out of nowhere? All we knew about that song previously is that there had been a guitar-only runthrough of it really early in the Vancouver rehearsals.

The big addition in Vancouver that had not been done during rehearsals was WLCTT on night two because BB King died.

Hmmm, maybe

What are the most likely setlist additions at this point?

2 or 3 of the following: Vertigo, Out of Control, Ordinary Love, 40?

What are the most likely setlist additions at this point?

2 or 3 of the following: Vertigo, Out of Control, Ordinary Love, 40?

Those, I Will Follow, and Desire.

I'd put money down that at some point on the tour we will see Vertigo, a song from Boy, and 40, even if none of them get rehearsed in Vancouver.

I'll also be rather surprised if Achtung's only representation for the whole tour is One and UV.

Twickenham has a pretty strict 10.30pm curfew I believe, Stagetime will need to be 8.00-8.15pm.

With the setlist as it stands, it will still be light when the JT segment starts.

For the lighting to be effective in London they would pretty much need to tail end the show with the JT set

Exactly what I was thinking. I saw the first UK Vertigo show in Manchester and they didn't seem to have the timings worked out. Changed it on second night to put a couple of extra songs in the daylight section. Hope they are ahead of the game this time as I am at Twickenham 1! Pre JT section will need to be at least 10 songs I reckon.

Those, I Will Follow, and Desire.

I'd put money down that at some point on the tour we will see Vertigo, a song from Boy, and 40, even if none of them get rehearsed in Vancouver.

I'll also be rather surprised if Achtung's only representation for the whole tour is One and UV.

I don't doubt they are prepared to rest some of the AB staples for this tour (UTEOTW and MW may sit the whole tour out), but AB has so many songs they've played less than those two that could get a run. WGRYWH, The Fly, Zoo Station might pop up. I would have said WGRYWH would be my pick, but with so many ballads/softer songs in the encore, I just can't see it.

Someone mentioned a while ago that they thought the entire b stage was propped upright in a photo. If this is true, they could do some cool stuff where the shadow is actually the tree on the backdrop of the main stage, and the upright b stage tree being front lit. It would be ripe to end Mothers like that, go off, and play audio of Bono's four men chopping down the Joshua Tree line and come out to The Fly as the b stage falls.

Back
Top Bottom