Spiderman News

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't like musicals and am only a mild Spider-Man fan, so this would hold no interest for me if it wasn't for Bono and Edge's involvement (although Taymor certainly is visually creative) but interpreting it more for the story's sake seems pretty cool, if the adaptation is neat and the music is excellent I may check it out, but I do like the "Turn Off the Dark" subtitle.

Is Jim Sturgess still supposed to play Peter Parker??

Im surprised that no one has mentioned The Lord of the Rings Musical, this is exactly why some things shold not be made into musicals:doh:

Everything is being made into a musical. :no: Some things should be left on the drawing board.

Update on Spiderman - Another U2 Album?

From Rolling Stone:

In addition to the seemingly endless studio sessions and the unprecedented push for No Line on the Horizon, Bono and the Edge are moving ahead with their contribution to Julie Taymor’s web-slinging musical “Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark,” which Bono previewed during a brief drive.

The first song Bono plays on the Maserati’s more-than-adequate sound system is called “Boy Falls From the Sky,” with Across the Universe star Jim Sturgess singing as Peter Parker. It sounds a lot like a U2 hit, especially when Bono sings along in the car with the line “I used to use a single thread to cross the sky.” “Killer!” he shouts as the song wraps up, and then he plays a choral, operatic segue. When Bono’s assistant calls on his cell, he cuts the conversation short: “We’re in the middle of an opera here!”

Clayton and Mullen haven’t even heard what Bono calls the “spider songs” yet, but the singer is hopeful that he can convince them to release the tunes in the form of a U2 album. “If we do, it’ll be a monster, ’cause it’s the most accessible music we’ve probably ever written,” Bono says. “It could be our Tommy. We could do it with guest stars and everything.”

Mullen, however, isn’t sold on it, calling the whole thing “a Bono and Edge project.”

U2 Talk “Horizon” Follow Up, Spider-Man Musical in Rolling Stone Cover Story : Rolling Stone : Rock and Roll Daily

Cool, only the journalist says it's their first stage score, and it most certainly is not.

I just listened to Beach Clip 402 today (I know, really late) and I loved it. I'm really hoping that 402 is "Boy Falls from the Sky." It sounds like it would be one of the major numbers in the show. That being said, I really hope that we get to hear a proper U2 version of that song and anything else Bono and Edge have come up with for the musical

On the front page of @U2 is this minor blurb...

"While speaking at the Mortage Bankers Association annual convention in Boston, Massachusetts today, Bono gave an update or two about his general hyperactivity with projects. He said that once his speaking engagements in America conclude that he'll be focusing all his energy on the recording of the next U2 album. He is aware that his activism is once again impacting recording studio time, but he wanted to reassure people the next album will be released in 2008.

He also said that he and Edge were working on Spiderman: The Opera with Julie Taymor. (Not sure why the change from a musical to an opera - guess time will tell). Check out the @U2 blog and our upcoming podcast for coverage from his speaking engagement today."

damn, we're really slow for news these days. Anyhoo, I am, for one, actually really excited about this project. People always scream for something new and different from U2, weeeeeell, having Bono and The Edge creating a musical is definitely up there. And just because the musical happens to be SPIDER-MAN, why does that have to equate to "bad"? IMO, "The Lion King," Julie Taymor's previous outing as a staged musical director, was quite good.

Hold on! This isn't very up-to-date is it???

Wow, i am very excited about this. Once we all get used to The-as-of-yet-unnamed-New-Album, we have another to familiarize ourselves with. :hyper:

EDIT: I was also thinking, it was mentioned that the songs to be on the Spidey album would be reworked. Maybe the lyrics would be reworked to be less Spiderman oriented and more like traditional U2 songs.

If they are smart (!) they will find a way to work within the Spiderman framework to talk about what it is to be a hero:the power and the responsibility. Because they are superheroes after all so they could take the opportunity to examine themselves, their motivation, goals, ambitions and the effects these have on their public and private relationships. Without falling into the trap of taking themselves quite so seriously or being pompous (sp?) about it.

As long as Kirsten Dunst makes an appearance on the album...I'll be happy.

kirstendunst.jpg

Album? Can she sing???????? :scratch: :hmm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom