Songs of Innocence downloaded 26 million times, 81 million 'experienced' songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Highway To Hell
Back In Black
Thunderstruck
You Shook Me All Night Long
Hell's Bells
Dirty Deeds

You seem to have a really loose definition of "everyone". Yes, You Shook Me All Night Long is a staple that anyone who's been near a jukebox or karaoke bar has heard. Back In Black has had a lot of classic rock airplay. But "Thunderstruck" and "Hell's Bells", for example, do not have the level of permeation you think they do.

I've probably heard Thunderstruck a handful of times but that's it. That album was from 1990. I can't name a single song they released since then, and I doubt your average person has. And "average" doesn't mean Australians or heshers in general.

Back In Black was a huge album. It was also almost 35 years ago. They maintained a smaller level of popularity until the end of the decade, but that's really it.

U2 has maintained a place in the mainstream consciousness for far longer, and even if Vertigo from 10 years ago was their last real hit, the release of their last two albums were still treated by the industry and media as big events, and both had their share of critical champions. Same goes for the subsequent tours.

Outside of a dedicated fan base that still buys their albums, no one in the mainstream audience has been exposed to AC/DC's music in a long time, let alone gives a fuck about what they're doing.

I would say having the 4th highest grossing tour in the history of music still proves that AC/DC has a following and it goes more then just a few people deep.

I would also argue that they have more cultural significance then you are giving them credit for as they are by far the biggest selling hardrock/metal band that has ever roamed the earth whether you like them or not, there is no denying AC/DCs popularity.

Angus Young is always rated among the top rock guitarists in history up there with Edge.

U2 have always acted "big", but I don't think they've really been as big as many of us would like to think.

Hells Bells is a song most people know.

I think AC/DC and U2 are very similar in their popularity. I think U2 have an edge over them, because that's the name of their guitar player.

The core base is different, but when it comes down to it, how many U2 songs have actually "permeated" the social conscious to the point where everyone knows the song?

Vertigo
Beautiful Day
One
With or Without You
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Where The Streets Have No Name
Desire
Pride

Maaaaaybe Mysterious Ways and Sunday Bloody Sunday as well.

That would be about it.

So 8 to 10? Yea, a few more than that of AC/DC... but not as many as most U2 fans would believe

We all love a song like Bad, but does the average person know that song? Probably not.

I think the bigger test would be how quickly somebody could recognize who the artist is without actually knowing the song, and I think in that test they'd be fairly even.

I never liked AC/DC until I knew I liked them.....let me explain.

I've always heard a lot of their songs (all mentioned above) but never strung it together that they were all THEIR songs.

Count me as a fan!

BTW....what the shit happened to this thread? Next we will be talking about Bon Jovi and how they are more influential than U2 to 40+ woman who live in Somerset New Jersey(that actually might be accurate).

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

The line blurs because U2, specifically Bono, transcends music into all forms of popular culture. He's involved in some form with music, movies, TV, clothing, biking, and working the deli counter at Stop N' Shop on weekends. Not to mention, he's got his hands in, or leads many charities and causes.

I would say having the 4th highest grossing tour in the history of music still proves that AC/DC has a following and it goes more then just a few people deep.

I would also argue that they have more cultural significance then you are giving them credit for as they are by far the biggest selling hardrock/metal band that has ever roamed the earth whether you like them or not, there is no denying AC/DCs popularity.

Iron Maiden still sells albums and plays huge venues all over the world. That simply isn't enough. I'm talking about something cultural and intangible.

The line blurs because U2, specifically Bono, transcends music into all forms of popular culture. He's involved in some form with music, movies, TV, clothing, biking, and working the deli counter at Stop N' Shop on weekends. Not to mention, he's got his hands in, or leads many charities and causes.

Yes, but it goes beyond Bono. What has been ignored in my previous post is the sheer level of media saturation U2 has compared to these other bands. Do you think AC/DC would be able to collaborate with Apple on something like that? Would it get so much attention or feedback?

The Apple stunt may have blown up in their faces, but it still showed the power of the band to even make it happen. And for better or worse, people were talking about them.

It's something that goes beyond the music or the number of tickets sold. It's that U2 has always wanted to be a populist, global band and have found various ways over the years of finding savvy ways to do that via their tours and the appearances and press that they do. And they don't sound like anyone else, really never have even with all the genres they've explored.

AC/DC is just a good hard rock band with some catchy riffs, their only resonant image a guy who's been wearing a funny uniform for 30 years. They're survivors but even within the world of hard rock and metal they're not very unique in term of the material.

I know this is a U2 board, but the significance and popularity of U2 relative to other artists is really overblown here.

There does always seem to be a worrying influx of posts here that would make you believe that all that is good and great in music (and modern civilization dammit!) is either attributable or can be directly linked to the four boyz from the Northside of Dublin :lol::lol:

Iron Maiden still sells albums and plays huge venues all over the world. That simply isn't enough. I'm talking about something cultural and intangible.

Yes, but it goes beyond Bono. What has been ignored in my previous post is the sheer level of media saturation U2 has compared to these other bands. Do you think AC/DC would be able to collaborate with Apple on something like that? Would it get so much attention or feedback?

The Apple stunt may have blown up in their faces, but it still showed the power of the band to even make it happen. And for better or worse, people were talking about them.

It's something that goes beyond the music or the number of tickets sold. It's that U2 has always wanted to be a populist, global band and have found various ways over the years of finding savvy ways to do that via their tours and the appearances and press that they do. And they don't sound like anyone else, really never have even with all the genres they've explored.

AC/DC is just a good hard rock band with some catchy riffs, their only resonant image a guy who's been wearing a funny uniform for 30 years. They're survivors but even within the world of hard rock and metal they're not very unique in term of the material.

Not "Just some catchy riffs" with these guys. They have written some of the greatest "riffs" of all time in rock history.

With Acdc you get exactly what's written on the tin, great rock bluesy sound that sells and they don't want to be any different

For those about to rock we salute you!!!

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Did the 360 tour not prove how big U2 are?

Yes it did no other act in the planet could have pulled that off and no other act would have the balls to attempt it either!!

regardless of your thoughts on AC/DC musically, there are lots of comparisons that can be made with U2 as far as popularity.

U2 is still the only act to be as popular as they have been for as long as they have been with the original lineup, uninterrupted still in place. nobody else in rock history can make that claim, for whatever it's worth

regardless of your thoughts on AC/DC musically, there are lots of comparisons that can be made with U2 as far as popularity.

U2 is still the only act to be as popular as they have been for as long as they have been with the original lineup, uninterrupted still in place. nobody else in rock history can make that claim, for whatever it's worth

QFT...:up:

Even Rush had a different drummer on their 1st album. Peart didn't come in until the 2nd record!

Aerosmith have had the original lineup for about 95% of their career , but there was a brief period in the early 80s where Joe perry and brad Whitford quit and were replaced. Plus nowadays, aerosmith have backup guys for the drummer, bassist and 2nd guitarist on call at a moments notice to fill in whenever one of them is sick. They only cancel if Steven Tyler or Joe Perry can't play a show.

Suppose your U2 concert day arrives, and Adam is too sick to do the gig? Would you prefer they cancel or use a stand in? I say use the stand in! Sure it'd be less enjoyable, but still enjoyable. I don't think even Larry could be replaced, but maybe his drum tech / assistant could do a passable job of filling in?

U2 will be regarded as "one of" the greatest "bands" of all time.

They are the greatest. Rolling Stones, Aerosmith and all those others that have been around a long time will never compare

I randomly asked people at the bar once to keep the history/greatest band factor out of it if they would rather listen to a Beatles versus U2 song...9 out of 10 said U2. Which I was happier than a pig in shit to hear because I find the Beatles boring to listen to.

Back
Top Bottom