Songs Of Experience XII : RIP U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What do you expect this Friday at the IHeartRadio festival?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
But one could also easily say TBT fits in that theme. Themes don't have to be that literal. The line "why am I leaving"; it could be more than a simple break up song.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Good shout. It can be very open to interpretation anyway. I don't think the phrase 'you're the best thing about me' is exactly counter to the idea of experience, writing after you're dead etc. It sounds very reflective, with a little wisdom about something he's figured out.

If not for the invisible start/stop of last year, we would look at all the signs of what's going on right now as a clear sign that something is very close. It just makes sense.

Alas, this is U2. So it would not be shocking at all if Friday comes and goes and we have absolutely nothing, and they play 2 SOI songs and 4-5 warhorses.

But just with what we actually know (not including multiple sauces from posters)...

-they're band is about to headline a festival in Las Vegas as the only act without new material being either already released and/or announced. The festival is a vehicle for new music promotion and is run by a huge radio conglomerate.

-the band has been on the west coast for two weeks, rehearsing with Terry Lawless. The only previous times we know of that Terry is with the band for this long is prior to tours starting, and prior to the release of SOI.

-a very popular DJ snapped about doing something top secret with Bono that will be huge. Some sort of video element was filmed.

-another popular DJ played a completed remix at his hometown festival, which after leaking onto the internet was promptly removed and he hasn't played it again since. This was one a month ago... meaning there's been completed music for well over a month

-Steve Lillywhite has a xompleted mix on his phone of a single

-this weekend is the 40th anniversary of the band, and the album title and theme is based around Experience.

So either something is imminent, or something went really really wrong. And if something went really really wrong, would Bono really be discussing themes and tours yesterday?

End of the day? Yea. It's U2. Things can change. But the facts of what we know point to something very soon.

Nice summary. I keep thinking that maybe the 40th anniversary is bigger than we think. Single at iheart and album out on their anniversary or Friday of their anniversary week. Best case scenario.

California, the troubles, every breaking wave don't REALLY fit SOI. They made tenuous links to innocence with comments of first loves etc. U2 have never really committed fully to a thene

I was actually thinking about this when I was driving to work today. imo, 'themes' are a bit overrated anyway. Many songs are generalized enough to the point where they can be interpreted one way or another anyway, so I'm not too bent up on a song necessarily being about 'innocence' or 'experience' per se.

As cynical as it sounds, the most important thing about The Best Thing is not how thematically cohesive it is, but how good it sounds.

Yep. In the end, I don't need someone screaming "I'm an adult now" or "I've been here before" during every song just for the sake of a theme. :D

California, the troubles, every breaking wave don't REALLY fit SOI. They made tenuous links to innocence with comments of first loves etc. U2 have never really committed fully to a thene

I agree with you on California and Every Breaking Wave not fitting the theme... but not The Troubles.

I think it absolutely fits, and I think Sleep Like A Baby Tonight and The Troubles are linked, that they were supposed to be originally back to back to close the album when This Is Where You Can Reaxh Me Now was going to be the opening track, and they shoehorned that song in-between Baby and Troubles.

I agree with you on California and Every Breaking Wave not fitting the theme... but not The Troubles.

I think it absolutely fits, and I don't think it's coincidental that it comes right after Sleep Like A Baby Tonight. I believe the two songs are linked.

Fair call - it certainly isn't as overt as the other songs on the record though

The good thing .. it is Wednesday ... just remember when it was July/August ... now we are DAYS away from knowing something / not knowing anything

Excellent summary, Headache- thank you. I'm feeling more optimistic today, if only because it seems iHeart is on at the moment. I'm still not expecting new music on Friday, but think we are within a few months at most.

16 songs sounds very hopeful, just points to them selecting 11-12 and saving the others for the bonus disc. Job done.
We're either looking at the album this friday or the single on it's own, giving the band time to finalise the tracklist and The Edge time to dick around to his hearts content for a few more weeks. Plus, as someone already said it gives the single a bit of breathing space.

I'd be very surprised if it's pushed all the way back to 2017. All that grammy bollocks missed, christmas sales, possible tour pushed back, and they'll take it as a sign they can spend the next year working to 2017's grammy deadline.....:doh:

16 songs sounds very hopeful, just points to them selecting 11-12 and saving the others for the bonus disc. Job done.
We're either looking at the album this friday or the single on it's own, giving the band time to finalise the tracklist and The Edge time to dick around to his hearts content for a few more weeks. Plus, as someone already said it gives the single a bit of breathing space.

I'd be very surprised if it's pushed all the way back to 2017. All that grammy bollocks missed, christmas sales, possible tour pushed back, and they'll take it as a sign they can spend the next year working to 2017's grammy deadline.....:doh:

You would also imagine that out of those 16 songs they already have say 6 to 8 songs that are bankers to make the final cut of 10 or 11. They're are most likely only trying to decide on which 4 leave out.

knew it was Edge holding up the show. I think Larry is on board with releasing albums faster, Adam is just along for the ride and Bono would release pretty aggressively I feel like.

Anyway, still not at all sold we're seeing SOE this year. 16 songs in the cooker, bla bla bla. I am hopeful we'll see an album before next summer, but I'm not betting on this year at all.

Just release all 16!!! I WANT IT ALL!!!!

Right about now the SOE version of the "Crystal Ballroom" is in the process of being left off the main album. :sad::huh:

You would also imagine that out of those 16 songs they already have say 6 to 8 songs that are bankers to make the final cut of 10 or 11. They're are most likely only trying to decide on which 4 leave out.

exactly!

what if U2 are going all out on this record and SOE's equivalent of The Crystal Ballroom has been bravely included? We wouldn't know because we'd be too busy saying how some track on the bonus disc should have replaced it, out of habit? :hmm:

Yeah - I feel they shouldn't be allowed to make these decisions themselves.

Unfortunately we probably mirror what the band is going through right now. For example. so many people loved Reach, and were meh about Crystal Ballroom.
Reach was probably one of my bottom 3 on the album and Ballroom was in my top two of all SOI songs.

So there will always be second guessing. I just hope they put a bit more daring foot forward. Getting excited.

Same. 6:46am in LA. Just saying, if RD's original info is correct, today would be the day.

Do we know if they have ever done this? Release a single without having a fully finished album? I'm thinking that to them this would feel a bit like the "pop disaster" (giving themselves a deadline that will push them into releasing something they're not fully satisfied with).

Do we know if they have ever done this? Release a single without having a fully finished album? I'm thinking that to them this would feel a bit like the "pop disaster" (giving themselves a deadline that will push them into releasing something they're not fully satisfied with).

I'd say that the album is already finished in this scenario, just a case of what to leave out. Why they cant just have more than 11 songs if they are all good is beyond me? Bono says they want 10, why 10 exactly?

Unfortunately we probably mirror what the band is going through right now. For example. so many people loved Reach, and were meh about Crystal Ballroom.

Hmm, that's not how I remember it at all, as soon as CB came out I remember an overwhelming "I wish this the direction they would have gone".

I'd say that the album is already finished in this scenario, just a case of what to leave out. Why they cant just have more than 11 songs if they are all good is beyond me? Bono says they want 10, why 10 exactly?

All post 2000 albums have 11 tracks on it ... so SOE will have .... 11 as well I guess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom