Songs of Experience - Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
wait - I gotta scoop!

I think it's Jacknife Lee. I bet the main producer of SOE is Jacknife Lee

Around 4:00, the video takes us to "The Garage" in Topanga Canyon.

We then clearly see Edge, Dallas, and some other dude working the mixing desk.

w70sjc.jpg

Guess who has a studio there?
Inside the Topanga Canyon Studio of Jacknife Lee, Producer for U2, Taylor Swift & 'Divergent' | Billboard

For comparison's sake, here's Lee working with REM at Topanga Canyon studios. That's the same dude as in the video

rem_studio1-thumb-430x286.jpg

Oh hey, well spotted. That's him and his studio. You can clearly see it's the same room, comparing the picture from the article and the video.

It also wouldn't surprise any of us

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I'm still optimistic that there will be a release this year, and I also find it hard to believe that they are in the beginning stages. Hearing that snippet in the Fender video makes me think that either things are moving quickly in the studio, or it's done. I don't think they would include a snippet of something that's incomplete in a Fender video.

I'm still optimistic that there will be a release this year, and I also find it hard to believe that they are in the beginning stages. Hearing that snippet in the Fender video makes me think that either things are moving quickly in the studio, or it's done. I don't think they would include a snippet of something that's incomplete in a Fender video.

Is it possible this video is from a while ago? Also, i think that the statement of "in the beginning stages" sounds like a standard reporter statement on any band in the studio. I wouldn't put a whole lot of weight on that.

I think we are looking at a late summer release / September...

Is it possible this video is from a while ago? Also, i think that the statement of "in the beginning stages" sounds like a standard reporter statement on any band in the studio. I wouldn't put a whole lot of weight on that.

I think we are looking at a late summer release / September...

Edge was at the California Fender factory in February.. probably around then
https://www.instagram.com/p/BBVHB6UgFyJ/?taken-by=u2&hl=en

If U2 don't release this year before continuing the tour this fall, then this whole I/E thing might be the biggest misstep of their career. I would think they're smarter than that.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

they swore they'd never book a tour prior to finishing an album again, right?

so either...
A. all the rumours of a fall/winter tour are just rumours or preliminary talk
B. they're close enough to being complete to recognize that the remaining work will not take 6+ months
C. they're ready to release SOE, and now recording additional material
D. they're ok with touring ie again, without an album, and will make up something about touring to "road test" new songs (of which we'll hear, like, 2)

think it's B.
hope it's C.
scared of D.

If any of them start saying they are "getting lost in the music" I will lose my shit and we can panic.

Sent from my SM-G900I using U2 Interference mobile app

The song at the end of that video sounds really promising. The guitars remind me of MBV.

I'm pretty excited.

No, the song that starts around 4:50.

Is Tightrope what we're calling the Fly-sounding riff?

No, the song that starts around 4:50.

Is Tightrope what we're calling the Fly-sounding riff?

Tightrope is described as "epic" and "very up"

There's another new, untitled song that's labelled as riff heavy, a Volcano II, if you will. If the Fly-esque riff is anything, I'd hazard it's that

Last edited:
The Fly mk2 song has no business being recorded. It's pointless.

That song in the video could be Tightrope, it's pretty "up" sounding. Whatever it is, I like it a lot. The focus is on the guitar, and the vocals sound like they're mixed to be part of the song rather than above it, as was the case on SOI.

it's been so so so long since a U2 song had really cool guitars. sounds like the dry spell might be broken!:applaud:

the 6 months leading up to a release are the most fun I have as a fan on this board.

it's sorta ironic as his signature guitar itself wasn't all that interesting, which was supposed to be the topic of this video (and other vids which are more direct commercial for his guitar/amp model).

the 6 months leading up to a release are the most fun I have as a fan on this board.

Yes! I love every minute of it. Especially knowing it could be the last time or near it.

Just got another Facebook/Instagram post with a close up of Bono's face with the caption H20XU2B #w4water

Interesting. More water mentions.

^ I thought there was something going on too, but that hashtag is for World Water Day

and there's nothing to complain about: there's a new U2 record, and it could be great! It's like spring training. This could be the year!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom