Songs of Experience 36 - Now with 20% fewer acronyms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wait ... Bono sang the tag at the end of One through that megaphone?

giphy.gif

Yeah, instead of doing Hear Us Coming as he should have, we get "There is no them, there's only us" through a megaphone on repeat.

It should also be said that Bono totally failed to pull off the big ending of WOWY, and botched the big "it's a long way down to nothing at all" and "and if your way should falter" moments.

If this is a harbinger of his abilities on the next tour, I might not regret sitting this one out much.

Eh, I'm not worried. If it turns out to be a consistent issue, that's one thing, but shit, it's cold and flu season, gang.

All I Want Is You had better fucking be in the extended version, after teasing us with that clip a few weeks ago.

Yawn to the first and yay to the latter. Plus All I Want Is You, which wasn't on the one I just watched.

I love EBW and feel it for as not only the best song on SOI but is a classic tune. With that said, we had an official orchestra version released on the SOI + version and they were essentially played the stripped down version every night of iE as well as at the EMAs(amazing performance). It’s the only song of all on the BBC that has already done the “orchestra” treatment and done so to death.

In summary, I support your “yawn”.

Yeah, instead of doing Hear Us Coming as he should have, we get "There is no them, there's only us" through a megaphone on repeat.

It should also be said that Bono totally failed to pull off the big ending of WOWY, and botched the big "it's a long way down to nothing at all" and "and if your way should falter" moments.

If this is a harbinger of his abilities on the next tour, I might not regret sitting this one out much.

Nitpicking.

Bono was in fine form and the performance overall was stunning

Just watched the Canadian cut, ergo no Stuck for me (yet). Good to see BBC cut on the 28th will have EBW* , 13 and, surely, with that teaser, AIWIY.

I really liked the small setting and choir/orchestra added to songs. Much as Lights of home and Love is bigger etc ruled, my third peak is WOWY. My eyes welled up at the intro (and later when the lights go up in that massive stadium) and Bono saved the song with the Love will tear us apart ending. "100 000 people and I'm not drunk.../I was told there'd be pyro" banter was fun.

Downer : One. Seriously...put back Edge's live solo back or Hear us coming ending. No more megaphone either.
Also : less talk more music.

*sooo is that a full band EBW or will Edge take on piano duties again ?

Nitpicking.

Bono was in fine form and the performance overall was stunning

While I can be critical as well, let's not forget that Bono is 57. He's not going to hit the big notes as consistently or probably even try to hit them as often.

With that said, I was glad he was trying. U2 are almost always at their best when there is an occasion to rise to and, IMO, they did the best they could.

While I still hold out hope (and agree with Larry) that they might align with the zeitgeist once more before it's over, I also have to wonder how much more we can ask of them at this point.

I was trying to find a different video that was a concert performance of Sunday Bloody Sunday, but just the vocals were "off," and it was presented as Bono's raw mic feed.

I confess, I thought that one was real for a hot minute.

Where's LM and his super rare Miracle Drug clip. "This is a song about... drugs."

I tried to force myself into liking Breathe for a while, but I don't think I've gone back to listen to it again since the 360 tour ended.

You poor guy, inflicting that song on yourself even for a period. It's hilarious looking back at how much of Interference thought the lyrics to the verses were clever. No, Bono embarrasses himself doing an awful rap in which he shouts "juju man! juju man!"

So you don’t belt out “force quit and reboot yourself” when driving around town.

I remember when I first heard that chorus and thought “I must have misheard that”.

To me “a boy” is forgivable, “refujesus” is forgivable(to a lesser extent) but that song is filled with lyrical abominations!

Unknown Caller.....TO THE PIT OF MISERY!

If my relistening binge for LN7's comp has taught me anything, it is that "refu-jesus" really is the worst thing Bono has ever committed to tape.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/life-style/life/894615/bono-u2-net-worth/amp

According to Celebrity Net Worth, Bono’s estimate net worth is $700million (£534million).

The Edge’s net worth is reportedly $240million (179million), Adam Clayton’s is $13million (£9.7million) and Larry Mullen Jr’s $150million (£112million).

That's aload of rubbish isn't it :)

Daaaamn Adam that's a lot of drugs you've done.

If my relistening binge for LN7's comp has taught me anything, it is that "refu-jesus" really is the worst thing Bono has ever committed to tape.

Remember when people tried to say it wasn't going to be that big of a deal, and then almost every review made a point to mention how terrible it was?

Remember when people tried to say it wasn't going to be that big of a deal, and then almost every review made a point to mention how terrible it was?

No joke.

If you took a shot for every review that mentions "refu-jesus", you'd be just as comatose as if you took a shot for every review that mentions SOI's distribution method.

refujesus really is a shame. The "rock n roll" bits are a little silly, but they don't suck. Refujesus makes sure I turn the song any time someone is in the car.

I don’t think “refu-Jesus” is what sinks American Soul. It’s just overall the weakest track on the album.

Back
Top Bottom