Songs of _________________; New album discussion #7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if this means that they scrapped the new album that supposedly finished or if they’re just going back to the studio to add some heavier guitars.

It does seem at odds with what U2songs have reported - they said recently that the new album was largely complete. Bono's statement does make it seem like they're starting at least some of the work over.

To be honest, if it meant scrapping an album of work with Ryan Tedder, even if that meant waiting another year or two, I'd be all for it. I don't hate the Tedder songs on SoI or SoE by any means, but I'm not sure I'm interested in any more of it, and I think U2 can do way better, even in terms of making pure pop music.

... However, I think it's way more likely that there was just a slight 'mistranslation' in the article, and Bono was referring to doing more recording on top of what they've already done, rather than starting from scratch.

Maybe the Achtung Baby thing will be an online multimedia thing.

Iirc, the Vegas dates are booked in line with shows in other cities, so it's pretty unlikely they'd put on an Achtung show in the middle of or just before a regular tour, if only because they'd have to learn to many songs and cues and such. And it would require an expensive set that they'd only use a handful of times.
I think initially when the vegas rumours came out the expectation was for the band to tour in 2023 but they plans have been pushed back to 2024 so if vegas was still to happen in 2023 then it won’t be in promotion of new material making AB shows there a possibility. Not saying I’m fully convinced by that, the online thing definitely makes sense as well but there’s different options.

Full interview here:

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/...e-looking-for-the-blessing-of-father-figures/

"What’s next? The band wants to make an “uncompromising, balls-to-the-wall, transcendent rock’n’roll album, with unreasonable guitars, like properly aggressive as the times deserve”, he says. He wants the next album to recreate the band’s live experience in the studio. He wants to start recording by the end of the year, after a 14-city US and European book tour. The Edge, he says, is “as restless as me now”. He believes the band may still have their best album in them, but getting it out might “cost us a lot”."

Yet more talk of a rock album is hardly surprising given their trajectory, but I'm wondering if he means more songs in the vein of The Miracle, American Soul, The Blackout etc, or something heavier.

I'm curious what he means by starting to record this year. I agree with the post above that it's probably finishing recording, or writing the songs then recording them from scratch to give a more live feel - kind if like they supposedly did for SoE.
Sounds like typical Bono bullshit, specifically the part about trying to get it out.

They probably have a shell of an album done, but bringing anything across the finish line with this band is always an adventure.

Sounds like typical Bono bullshit, specifically the part about trying to get it out.

They probably have a shell of an album done, but bringing anything across the finish line with this band is always an adventure.
In relation to that getting it out part, costing them a lot, I think he’s referring to having to put the band first more going forward. There was another interview recently where he talked more about serving the song, and I think this could actually be a positive statement in relation to wanting to put more focus into the band again and less focus on his stuff outwith the band. Maybe he’ll see it as a semi retirement of sorts, I’d say as fans we can often be clouded by what we want and not see it from another point of view. But Bono’s hobby is music, that’s not his job even if it does pay the bills, it’s the other stuff that’s probably hard work to him. Maybe he feels it’s time for the younger generation to take over they fights and that he’s laid the foundations and done what he can. Less meetings with politicians more time in the studio.

Take what Bono says about it being a heavy rock album filled with guitar with a grain of salt. Remember he once said Larry did the most awesome drum fill on SOE in lights of home and it wound up just being an overlayed Tom roll that any dick or Harry does on their steering wheel taking their snotty kids to soccer practice.

Take what Bono says about it being a heavy rock album filled with guitar with a grain of salt. Remember he once said Larry did the most awesome drum fill on SOE in lights of home and it wound up just being an overlayed Tom roll that any dick or Harry does on their steering wheel taking their snotty kids to soccer practice.

But but the Edge is on fire!
Punk rock from Venus!!!

Yes we’ve been here before haven’t we?

Punk rock made on Venus turned out to the the HTDAAB sessions with Chris Thomas.

This sounds like they want to continue in the vein of the stuff they did with Tedder a little while ago. The stripped back “four musicians playing in a room” recordings.

uncompromising, balls-to-the-wall, transcendent rock’n’roll album, with unreasonable guitars, like properly aggressive as the times deserve

This sounds like fresh project to me.

This sounds like fresh project to me.
I don’t think the times are much different now to what they were when Bono first mentioned that type of album a few years ago. I believe it was a ‘fuck off rock album’ he spoke about then, he also mentioned a balls to the wall rock album back in 2018 and Ryan Tedder even spoke about an album with the sound of 4 musicians playing in a room, so I don’t think there’s anything to suggest they’re starting again. Looking into specifics about types of song Bono talked about the stuff they did on the E stage so elevation, vertigo, real thing and acrobat I’m assuming he was talking about.

Last edited:
They’ve also worked with Bob Ezrin, right? Not that his involvement would guarantee anything, but I’m into the idea of them using someone like him.

Maybe he just did production and arrangements for SoS, but I only remember Lanois and Howie B being cited as producers on that (so far). I guess/hope we’re only about a week and a half away from having the full picture.

In case people haven’t seen this but yet…

“Free music?” asked Tim Cook, the CEO of Apple, with a look of mild incredulity. “Are you talking about free music?”

Ten years had gone by since the Vertigo ads; we were in his office in Cupertino, California – Guy Oseary, our new manager, me, [Apple executives] Eddy Cue and Phil Schiller – and we’d just played the team some of our new Songs of Innocence album.

“You want to give this music away free? But the whole point of what we’re trying to do at Apple is to not give away music free. The point is to make sure musicians get paid.”

“No,” I said, “I don’t think we give it away free. I think you pay us for it, and then you give it away free, as a gift to people. Wouldn’t that be wonderful?”

Tim Cook raised an eyebrow. “You mean we pay for the album and then just distribute it?”

I said, “Yeah, like when Netflix buys the movie and gives it away to subscribers.”

Tim looked at me as if I was explaining the alphabet to an English professor. “But we’re not a subscription organisation.”

“Not yet,” I said. “Let ours be the first.”

Tim was not convinced. “There’s something not right about giving your art away for free,” he said. “And this is just to people who like U2?”

“Well,” I replied, “I think we should give it away to everybody. I mean, it’s their choice whether they want to listen to it.”

See what just happened? You might call it vaunting ambition. Or vaulting. Critics might accuse me of overreach. It is.

If just getting our music to people who like our music was the idea, that was a good idea. But if the idea was getting our music to people who might not have had a remote interest in our music, maybe there might be some pushback. But what was the worst that could happen? It would be like junk mail. Wouldn’t it? Like taking our bottle of milk and leaving it on the doorstep of every house in the neighbourhood.

Not. Quite. True.

On 9 September 2014, we didn’t just put our bottle of milk at the door but in every fridge in every house in town. In some cases we poured it on to the good people’s cornflakes. And some people like to pour their own milk. And others are lactose intolerant.

I take full responsibility. Not Guy O, not Edge, not Adam, not Larry, not Tim Cook, not Eddy Cue. I’d thought if we could just put our music within reach of people, they might choose to reach out toward it. Not quite. As one social media wisecracker put it, “Woke up this morning to find Bono in my kitchen, drinking my coffee, wearing my dressing gown, reading my paper.” Or, less kind, “The free U2 album is overpriced.” Mea culpa.

At first I thought this was just an internet squall. We were Santa Claus and we’d knocked a few bricks out as we went down the chimney with our bag of songs. But quite quickly we realised we’d bumped into a serious discussion about the access of big tech to our lives. The part of me that will always be punk rock thought this was exactly what the Clash would do. Subversive. But subversive is hard to claim when you’re working with a company that’s about to be the biggest on Earth.

For all the custard pies it brought Apple – who swiftly provided a way to delete the album – Tim Cook never blinked. “You talked us into an experiment,” he said. “We ran with it. It may not have worked, but we have to experiment, because the music business in its present form is not working for everyone.”

If you need any more clues as to why Steve Jobs picked Tim Cook to take on the leadership of Apple, this is one. Probably instinctively conservative, he was ready to try something different to solve a problem. When it went wrong, he was ready to take responsibility. And while he couldn’t fire the person who put the problem on his desk, it would have been all too easy to point the finger at me. We’d learned a lesson, but we’d have to be careful where we would tread for some time. It was not just a banana skin. It was a landmine.

Re a new album - if it’s back to the drawing board, then so be it. I’m not surprised or disappointed about anything like this any more.

I just hope that one day this bank of unreleased material is exploited to keep the flame of the band alive longer than their bodies will let them. They aren’t young men any more, and maybe this cache of ideas that constantly get scrapped will be shaped and released when there is less (albeit confected) pressure on them to rule the world with each attempt.

Didn't know there was a 7

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/2022/10/22/bono-i-have-spent-my-life-looking-for-the-blessing-of-father-figures/

What’s next? The band wants to make an “uncompromising, balls-to-the-wall, transcendent rock’n’roll album, with unreasonable guitars, like properly aggressive as the times deserve”, he says. He wants the next album to recreate the band’s live experience in the studio. He wants to start recording by the end of the year, after a 14-city US and European book tour. The Edge, he says, is “as restless as me now”. He believes the band may still have their best album in them, but getting it out might “cost us a lot”.

“The question we have got to ask ourselves is: are we ready to pay that cost, and the cost will be in relationships?” he says.

“Are we going to go in there and give it all of our life, because that’s what art demands in the end? And I want the answer to that question to be yes, and I haven’t really figured out what that means for the rest of my life. But that will be the second book.”

In case people haven’t seen this but yet…

“Free music?” asked Tim Cook, the CEO of Apple, with a look of mild incredulity. “Are you talking about free music?”

Ten years had gone by since the Vertigo ads; we were in his office in Cupertino, California – Guy Oseary, our new manager, me, [Apple executives] Eddy Cue and Phil Schiller – and we’d just played the team some of our new Songs of Innocence album.

“You want to give this music away free? But the whole point of what we’re trying to do at Apple is to not give away music free. The point is to make sure musicians get paid.”

“No,” I said, “I don’t think we give it away free. I think you pay us for it, and then you give it away free, as a gift to people. Wouldn’t that be wonderful?”

Tim Cook raised an eyebrow. “You mean we pay for the album and then just distribute it?”

I said, “Yeah, like when Netflix buys the movie and gives it away to subscribers.”

Tim looked at me as if I was explaining the alphabet to an English professor. “But we’re not a subscription organisation.”

“Not yet,” I said. “Let ours be the first.”

Tim was not convinced. “There’s something not right about giving your art away for free,” he said. “And this is just to people who like U2?”

“Well,” I replied, “I think we should give it away to everybody. I mean, it’s their choice whether they want to listen to it.”

See what just happened? You might call it vaunting ambition. Or vaulting. Critics might accuse me of overreach. It is.

If just getting our music to people who like our music was the idea, that was a good idea. But if the idea was getting our music to people who might not have had a remote interest in our music, maybe there might be some pushback. But what was the worst that could happen? It would be like junk mail. Wouldn’t it? Like taking our bottle of milk and leaving it on the doorstep of every house in the neighbourhood.

Not. Quite. True.

On 9 September 2014, we didn’t just put our bottle of milk at the door but in every fridge in every house in town. In some cases we poured it on to the good people’s cornflakes. And some people like to pour their own milk. And others are lactose intolerant.

I take full responsibility. Not Guy O, not Edge, not Adam, not Larry, not Tim Cook, not Eddy Cue. I’d thought if we could just put our music within reach of people, they might choose to reach out toward it. Not quite. As one social media wisecracker put it, “Woke up this morning to find Bono in my kitchen, drinking my coffee, wearing my dressing gown, reading my paper.” Or, less kind, “The free U2 album is overpriced.” Mea culpa.

At first I thought this was just an internet squall. We were Santa Claus and we’d knocked a few bricks out as we went down the chimney with our bag of songs. But quite quickly we realised we’d bumped into a serious discussion about the access of big tech to our lives. The part of me that will always be punk rock thought this was exactly what the Clash would do. Subversive. But subversive is hard to claim when you’re working with a company that’s about to be the biggest on Earth.

For all the custard pies it brought Apple – who swiftly provided a way to delete the album – Tim Cook never blinked. “You talked us into an experiment,” he said. “We ran with it. It may not have worked, but we have to experiment, because the music business in its present form is not working for everyone.”

If you need any more clues as to why Steve Jobs picked Tim Cook to take on the leadership of Apple, this is one. Probably instinctively conservative, he was ready to try something different to solve a problem. When it went wrong, he was ready to take responsibility. And while he couldn’t fire the person who put the problem on his desk, it would have been all too easy to point the finger at me. We’d learned a lesson, but we’d have to be careful where we would tread for some time. It was not just a banana skin. It was a landmine.
Sooooo no more "it was Apple's fault" discussions, huh?

Sooooo no more "it was Apple's fault" discussions, huh?

Doesn't read like a smoking gun to me. Until someone says "Apple told us that people who had their settings switched to automatic downloads of anything in their iTunes account would get the album in their library unsolicited, but we decided to do it anyway".

Taking blame doesn't equal actually to blame with full knowledge of the iTunes software ramifications.

Doesn't read like a smoking gun to me. Until someone says "Apple told us that people who had their settings switched to automatic downloads of anything in their iTunes account would get the album in their library unsolicited, but we decided to do it anyway".

Taking blame doesn't equal actually to blame with full knowledge of the iTunes software ramifications.

I think Bono wanted every single person in the planet to listen to the album. His ego got the best of him. I don’t think he cared about settings.

Have to give Bono credit though. He’s a hell of a salesman to convince Apple to do it when they felt it was a bad idea from the jump.

Last edited:

... he literally says it was his idea and had to talk Tim Apple into it.

Perhaps he didn't know it would be hard to delete, but he specifically says he wanted people who wouldn't otherwise listen to them to give it a chance

We are planning something special for [the 1991 album] Achtung Baby, not a tour but something extraordinary. It is important to do retrospectives for any artist, but not too many. I have just spent a few years in the past and I am very keen to get to the future.”

The more I read this the more I'm convinced that this is absolutely what they have planned for Vegas.

Which, honestly... it fits to have a Zoo Redo in the most technologically advanced concert venue ever created. Even bringing MacPhisto back, in a Vegas residency, would be a lovely bit of irony.

Bono’s been throwing around this guitar talk since 2002. It’s the same kind of talk that preceded HTDAAB. Remember when the Edge was on fire all the time? Now he’s restless. At this point it doesn’t hold much water - especially considering most U2 projects start out “uncompromising”…until the band eventually compromises. This band, as a whole, is pretty bad at accurately describing their own music anyway.

Which is quite okay with me, by the way, because I don’t think anybody is looking for “heavy” U2 - unless the heavy is thematic, as opposed to guitar-related. They’ve done the garage rock thing a lot of the last few years and it’s just not their best work. Bono’s idea of heavy and aggressive is likely The Miracle (of Joey Ramone).

That being said? I forgot how much I loved an in-depth Bono interview, particularly when he’s not just throwing slogans around. When he talks in-depth about his personal life, and when he’s dropping the charming schtick, he’s really engaging. I can’t wait to read his book. Did we know that Bob had an affair and Bono‘s cousin is his brother?! That’s harrowing stuff, especially to find that out late in life. And a blister on our man’s heart is really scary as well. I find myself more excited for the book than I am Songs of Surrender.

Nothing from Zooropa? Not even Some Days Are Better Than Others? And it looks like Pop and ATYCLB gets short shrift. 40 songs? 4 discs? That'll probably be expensive.

... he literally says it was his idea and had to talk Tim Apple into it.

Perhaps he didn't know it would be hard to delete, but he specifically says he wanted people who wouldn't otherwise listen to them to give it a chance

I think that’s the key detail that we may never know. If U2/Bono didn’t realize that the album was impossible to delete, then that’s both an issue with planning, communication, and execution on Apple’s and, whether or not Bono had to convince Tim Cook.

I think the bigger story here is that it’s good to see Bono owning up to it.

I still find it funny how worked up people got about a free album ending up in their iTunes, iPhones’s etc. Regardless of who’s idea it was the reaction from people in the public is the real talking point and how in 2014 it seems like so much of the world is insane. I can’t stand Justin bieber, but if his album appeared on my iTunes today I’d just look for a way to delete it. If I couldn’t I’d just get on with my day and never listen to it and then if I found out they’d set up a way to delete it after a day or 2 I’d just go and do it and still just carry on with my day. The fuss people have made about it is laughable and that’s what actually makes me glad u2 have done it because they receive criticism regardless of what they do anyway so I hope it did genuinely ruin some nut jobs day who gets sensitive about what music ends up on their Apple device.

I still find it funny how worked up people got about a free album ending up in their iTunes, iPhones’s etc. Regardless of who’s idea it was the reaction from people in the public is the real talking point and how in 2014 it seems like so much of the world is insane. I can’t stand Justin bieber, but if his album appeared on my iTunes today I’d just look for a way to delete it. If I couldn’t I’d just get on with my day and never listen to it and then if I found out they’d set up a way to delete it after a day or 2 I’d just go and do it and still just carry on with my day. The fuss people have made about it is laughable and that’s what actually makes me glad u2 have done it because they receive criticism regardless of what they do anyway so I hope it did genuinely ruin some nut jobs day who gets sensitive about what music ends up on their Apple device.

One of my friends brought up a good point. Every time he plugged his phone in his car, “The Miracle” started playing. This was before Apple Music launched, so your phone would auto play the first music that was downloaded to your device.

My friend is not a U2 fan whatsoever and this turned him off to them even more.

But yeah, people were also over dramatic about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom