Song Elimination Tournament, Quarterfinals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Where the Streets Have No Name
Sunday Bloody Sunday

With Or Without You
Bad

And if you Achtung Bastards vote for One over Streets, I think my head's going to explode. :wink:

XHendrix24 said:
And if you Achtung Bastards vote for One over Streets, I think my head's going to explode. :wink:

I would not be shocked if One had more votes than Streets, knowing the love and maybe some overrating that One gets around here. And of course it's a great song, but Streets is my favourite U2 song, so I voted without any doubt and pain.

btw, overlooking the results looks like streets is winning :up:

namkcuR said:
Vote 'Please'

C'mon people

Vote 'Please'

Vote 'Please'

Vote 'Please'

The studio version of Please isn't exactly a stellar effort and can't hold a candle to studio SBS. Live was where Please came into its own ... but unfortunately for it, Sunday Bloody Sunday live on RAH > Almost anything else live.

Axver said:

The studio version of Please isn't exactly a stellar effort and can't hold a candle to studio SBS. Live was where Please came into its own ... but unfortunately for it, Sunday Bloody Sunday live on RAH > Almost anything else live.

The 'Pop' version of Please is great.
The single version of Please is brilliant.

SBS live on RAH was quite possibly the best live performance of SBS I've heard, but it doesn't blow the mind anything like Please live during Popmart does.

I love SBS but I do feel that Please is better.

So vote Please.
Vote 'Please'
Vote 'Please
Vote 'Please'
Vote 'Please'
Vote 'Please'

COBL_04 said:
What does epitomy and U2-by-the-numbers mean?

I'm really starting to enjoy reading your posts axver. Someone who's not afraid to say that One isn't the best song ever and COBL is better than it gets a thousand ticks in my book.

City Of Blinding IS the best thing they've done in 15 years, if not their whole career. But that's just my opinion. I can see exactly why people don't think of it that highly. It is trying to recapture the 80's a little bit. But you cannot doubt it's a fantastic song. This just once again proves my 'stuck in the past' theory.

Who knows, I'm only 15 so I will probably come across a U2 song better than COBL one day. Or I'll get sick of it. But for now, it's the greates song ever made. Not written, made.

But anyway, back to the topic.

WHERE THE STREETS HAVE NO NAME. I am worried about the shalaking One is giving it at the moment.

SUNDAY BLOODY SUNDAY. I haven't heard Please.

WITH OR WITHOUT YOU. I haven't heard Gone.

UNTIL THE END OF THE WORLD. That, for me, was tough than WTSHNN vs 1. Bad is a good song, but UTEOTW is all I have been listening to lately.

Firstly, One>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>COBL will ever be

Secondly, If you haven't heard U2's whole catalog, why go around making statements about ANY song being the best they've ever done?

this is shaping up to be very, very interesting...streets vs. one and bad vs. uteotw are virtually in dead heats

I would argue that the original placement of these songs has very much determined some of these survivors...

Where the Streets Have No Name (though One certainly tops Please???)

Sunday Bloody Sunday (though A Sort of Homecoming beats either of these)

With Or Without You (though One would top WOWY)

Bad (though Until the End of the World would probably easily beat With Or Without You and Gone and Sunday Bloody Sunday and Please)

Damnit.

As if it wasn't bad enough that you people voted SBS through over Miss Sarajevo, a musically much more complex and sophisticated song, now you're going to vote it through over Please.

westport...when i designed this tournament i made it so that we would have some interesting matchups...considering that we had 64 songs to start with, it would be unreasonable to expect that anyone's 8 favorite songs would make it to this round...I would argue, without a doubt, that these are 8 OF U2's best songs ever

namkcuR said:

If you ask me, COBL makes One look extremely mediocre.

But hey, I'm just a deluded moron for having a different opinion to you, aren't I?

I love the Achtung crowd. You're all so nice.

jonnytakeawalk said:

City of Blinding lights better than One????!!!!!!!

Yeah.

About half of U2's catalogue is better than One. It's just another tune.

guys, we are not going to turn this into a discussion about one and cobl...BTW, beautiful day narrowly defeated cobl in round 1, and then beautiful day was trampled by one in round three...if cobl went up against one i would bet that one would destroy it

jonnytakeawalk said:

How can you say 'One' is 'just another tune.' I really find that impossible to fathom!

Very easily: by not finding it to be as great a tune as many here do.

rock888nwo said:
guys, we are not going to turn this into a discussion about one and cobl...BTW, beautiful day narrowly defeated cobl in round 1, and then beautiful day was trampled by one in round three...if cobl went up against one i would bet that one would destroy it

One would trample anything here (besides a few exceptions like Streets and Bad) by virtue of this fact that this forum - and the general U2 fandom, it seems - are wildly in love with the song.

Why, I don't know.

namkcuR said:

Secondly, If you haven't heard U2's whole catalog, why go around making statements about ANY song being the best they've ever done?

Firstly, I respect your views on One being better than COBL. I just don't agree.

Secondly, what I meant by that was COBL was the best U2 song I've heard SO FAR. Did I not mention that I will probably come across a better song. I've only heard 52 songs.

Axver said:
I love the Achtung crowd. You're all so nice.

:rolleyes: Ugh. See my Achtung Baby review thread.

rock888nwo said:

If you don't want to turn this into a COBL vs One argument, don't add fuel to the fire by saying that One would destroy COBL. I don't want the argument to go on. Let my post here be the last one.

Joshua87 said:
How the hell could SBS be beating Please???? :huh: :mad: :sad:

Please is a cool song, great lyrics, but overrated around here, for me is only my 6th or 7th favourite song in Pop.

Sunday Bloody Sunday is a rock monster, a timeless classic, one of U2 most emblematic songs.

Got it? Of course I respect your opinion but the majority of the people also think like me and it reflects on the results, even if Please and SBS are a bit close in this round, overlooking the votes.

btw, I love "One" but I even prefer COBL, only because the epic U2 are the U2 kind I most prefer. COBL may not be original and fresh but it's the U2 sound I love.

MacPhistoPT said:

Please is a cool song, great lyrics, but overrated around here, for me is only my 6th or 7th favourite song in Pop.

Sunday Bloody Sunday is a rock monster, a timeless classic, one of U2 most emblematic songs.

Got it? Of course I respect your opinion but the majority of the people also think like me and it reflects on the results, even if Please and SBS are a bit close in this round, overlooking the votes.

I guess Ive just grown sick of SBS, I see at as about overplayed as Pride is. But Please :drool: , every day it gets closer to the top of my list, the Best of History Mix version (or any Popmart version) is :drool: :drool: :drool:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom