SOI autopsy - what went wrong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And lastly- when I came into work today, some motherfucker left a $5 Dunkin Donuts gift card for me on my desk. What the fuck?! This is my office! MY office! MY OFFFFIIIICCCE!!! How dare they sneak in and without warning or asking my permission leave an unsolicited "gift" on my desk.
For me.

Sure, I left my door open, i suppose I could have closed the door. Maybe locked it. But that's not the point!

The point is - who would have expected that in this day and age something so egregious and terrible could happen. I. Feel. Violated.

It's not the fact that they're looking in or stepping into my office that bothers me, you see. It's the fact that they went an left this little plastic card WITHOUT MY PERMISSION.

Maybe I don't even like coffee. You ever think of that?!
Maybe where I come from the giving of gifts is restricted specifically to birthdays, certain special occasions that FTD reminds us about, and some secular and religious days of observance that are agreed upon, a priori, by the society at large. You maybe ever think about THAT!?
Maybe I don't even know what Dunkin Donuts is or whatever. You ever consider that?!

Well it's true. I never heard of them, but I heard they SUCK.

Maybe I think Dunkin Donuts is corporate bigwig sellout coffee and I like a little more thought and uniqueness put into the roasting of my beans. You ever think of that?!

But NO!!! Whoever this was went and made the assumption that because I have empty coffee cups scattered around my office, in plain view with the door wide open, that I would like a free Dunkin Donuts gift card and put it ON MY DESK in MY OFFICE without asking MY PERMISSION and OUTSIDE THE CONSTRUCT OF ANY AGREED UPON GIFT GIVING ARRANGEMENT OR DAY OF OBSERVANCE!!!

now I'm gonna have to figure out what the fuck to do with this orange and pink plastic monstrosity. Do you recycle these things? What to do...

omg how did i miss this?! :lol: :up:

Translation: Why can't the public shut up, be grateful, and enjoy U2 as much as I do! Idiot public and critics don't realise how genius this was! Rather than complaining, they should be thankful! In 50 years this will be seen as game changing! And SOI is da bomb! And it's Apple's fault anyway! How could U2 and their managers, lawyers and publicists possibly know how all this fancy tech stuff works!? They're just punk rock man! U2 rocks! Apple sucks! People suck!

Coming soon: A grateful public thanks Apple and Ted Nugent for "Ted Nugent: The Complete Sessions" thoughtfully gifted to their iPhones. And if you complain you're just a spoiled, first world whiner with no taste in wing nut rockers.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go write Tesco and thank them for the free sample of laundry detergent they mailed me as a "gift" out of the goodness of their heart.

i for one never really had a problem with the release method, and love the songs, and basically think the whining is pretty silly... not to mention the fact that i actively had to go looking hard for the album because of my privacy settings, so have trouble sympathising with all the fuss...

I don't either. That doesn't mean I can't try to understand what the rest of the world who don't love U2 as much as we do think of the situation. Trying to understand another's point of view is rather different than sympathising with them.

Translation: Why can't the public shut up, be grateful, and enjoy U2 as much as I do!
I don't care if no one likes the album, I just don't see the logic in guessing that the same album with the same songs would somehow be better received if the release had been different.

Idiot public and critics don't realise how genius this was! Rather than complaining, they should be thankful! In 50 years this will be seen as game changing!
I don't think it's genius, but it was definitely different.

And SOI is da bomb! And it's Apple's fault anyway! How could U2 and their managers, lawyers and publicists possibly know how all this fancy tech stuff works!? They're just punk rock man! U2 rocks!
I think it's fair to say that Apple might have a better grasp on the working of Apple iTunes than most other parties do.

Apple sucks!
I wouldn't say they suck, they are business savvy.

People suck![/I]
Nah, only some people suck.
Some of them suck really hard even.

--> Translation: sucky, suck, suck

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go write Tesco and thank them for the free sample of laundry detergent they mailed me as a "gift" out of the goodness of their heart.

really? i just dispose of my unwanted free samples quietly, no fuss :D

And to think that some time ago, people were up in arms about the band possibly going the "same old" album release path all over again.

They came really close to doing something very refreshing AND well thought out, but fell just short. Release SOI free, unannounced, to the iTunes store for a week instead of the traditional stream and put physicals out immediately afterward. Problem solved.

Translation: Why can't the public shut up, be grateful, and enjoy U2 as much as I do! Idiot public and critics don't realise how genius this was! Rather than complaining, they should be thankful! In 50 years this will be seen as game changing! And SOI is da bomb! And it's Apple's fault anyway! How could U2 and their managers, lawyers and publicists possibly know how all this fancy tech stuff works!? They're just punk rock man! U2 rocks! Apple sucks! People suck!

Coming soon: A grateful public thanks Apple and Ted Nugent for "Ted Nugent: The Complete Sessions" thoughtfully gifted to their iPhones. And if you complain you're just a spoiled, first world whiner with no taste in wing nut rockers.

Well, you´re right, sir. :)

If a random employee whom i had no real connection to put an unsolicited gift on my desk I'd find it a little creepy.

Just saying.

If the company who supplies the coffee to the office's coffee machine left a free sample pack of coffee on everyone's desk, less creepy.

Sent from my fingertips.

They came really close to doing something very refreshing AND well thought out, but fell just short. Release SOI free, unannounced, to the iTunes store for a week instead of the traditional stream and put physicals out immediately afterward. Problem solved.

Exactly! That's ALL that needed to happen. "Here's our new album. Out of the blue. For FREE!" That alone is a huge deal for a band like U2.
Even if they'd charged a standard price for the album it would have been better received, with the added bonus of dodging all that urghhh you're devaluing music!! stuff.

The problem was they just HAD to one-up everyone else who does the free album thing with that "most distributed album ever" gimmick and instead of U2's new album appearing from thin air, the headline was U2 pissing loads of people off because of a technical detail...to put it lightly.

What do you guys think about this rapper perspective about how he "discover" u2

Vic Mensa: 'I don't even know what U2 sounds like' | Gigwise

“I don’t know any of this shit,” he continued. “I feel like I should know what the fuck U2 sounds like. I wonder if they were any good back in the day. They’re way bigger than any single song they’ve ever made. I wonder if I was white, I would know it."

Yea.... apparently they're a white man's band now. The fuck that even means. :huh:

Reading that was obnoxious.

That it was but the release worked....for this guy. I imagine there are a great deal of these stories but similar to those who clam the release and the album were a disaster, I can't quantify it.

Perhaps more interesting is that on April 23rd, 2015, an article was published speaking about the release of a U2 album 7 months prior.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Right? Like, why the hell is their an article about this? Was the writer desperate for content to submit?

But after being played their song ‘Vertigo’, Mensa stated: “Oh, that’s so raw. That’s ill.”

Come on, this has to be a joke.

here is some more from his interview

They had to make a button that would let you take it off your phone. They had no idea anyone would not want it. You’re stuck with it unless you download this app.
The U2 recall app. They should’ve had the U2 download app. Now I kind of want to listen to it, it’s come up in conversation so many times. That shit’s so funny. They spammed everybody. I don’t even know what U2 sounds like. What’s U2’s biggest song?

The new Kanye abum showing up.
They’d kill Kanye.
[He starts playing “Where the Streets Have No Name.”]
I get it. It’s tight, though. It’s tight, for sure. It’s what I would expect it to be. I just couldn’t really think of what any of this sounds like. This one sounds dope. This one’s got some Mexican flavor to it. I wish he were singing in Spanish. Bilingual. Man, I love music. I just don’t have time to listen to it.

he killed me with streets have some Mexican flavor to it

He should go back to the school and stop expressing his music ignorancy to the world :)

101.gif

Back
Top Bottom