SOE 34: If there is a leak, don't let it go unheard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just had first listen via the stream this morning. I can wait to download when it's out Friday. Overall I really like it. However, it seems once again I have opposite reactions to many of the songs than the vocal majority on this board. I guess that shouldn't surprise me at this point - I've never understood this place's love for Pop, most of Passengers bores the crap out of me, and I like a lot more of their 2000s output than most here.

From the songs that we've already heard I love the Best Thing, Get Out has really grown on me (despite the cheesy oohs in the chorus), I like American Soul ( I don't hate refu-Jesus), and The Blackout is solid but not my favorite.

Then there's The Little Things. It just leaves me cold (sorry Headache). I feel the same about Moment of Surrender - I don't get the love for these two songs that most express here. To me, The Troubles is so much (more) better. And now I have another favorite amongst album closers - 13 is achingly, hauntingly beautiful. I find the criticism of reusing the lyrics silly. This is a standout track.

The other standouts for me - Love is Bigger, Love is All We Have Left, and Lights of Home, are all fantastic. So far disappointed with Summer of Love and Red Flag Day. I don't dislike them, but was expecting more based on reviews. But I suspect they will grow on me and will obviously sound better from a quality rip. Showman and Landlady didn't leave much of an impression yet - didn't dislike them though so they will probably end up in middle of the pack for me.

The quality CD rip does a heck of a lot for Red Flag Day.

The ending-part with "if only you could see yourself" (HAIM on backing vocals?) of Lights of Home :heart: I like the whole song, but that last minute gets me.

Sorry for not being able to give you more details when I made the post that it is out, however, the battery of my phone literally died away while being on the road. Glad to see that you guys were able to grab it. Will do the same now.

The ending-part with "if only you could see yourself" (HAIM on backing vocals?) of Lights of Home :heart: I like the whole song, but that last minute gets me.

Yeah the 2 shout outs to the last album are highlights of those songs so they don't feel tacked on. I like the eerie background on the SFS lyrics.

I'll probably leave Ordinary Love out of the track list because 13 already has lyrics that are amazing that cover the same point of view on Ordinary Love.

The CD Rip is so much better sounding and fruitful as expected....the music just fills the room like any good U2 music should do.

I was already going to listen early if we got an official stream to review for my friend's website, so .... might as well!

I'm holding off for release but just fyi, 192 kbps is not CD quality .
InferiorDeadlyLadybug-size_restricted.gif

Tbh my poor ears can’t really tell the difference. It may not be the BEST quality but I seriously can’t tell much difference from songs I’ve purchased in iTunes to this. Than again I don’t have the greatest head phones etc.

I'm the same way. Can't tell the difference.

Either way, I'm digging this leak :drool:

Unless you are an audiophile you wont hear a difference in the quality of this compared to a CD.

The more I listen the more I think U2 have excelled themselves with this album.

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8196722

This is not to beat my own drum, but to say that I knew to a certainty that the Little Things was a bonafide classic-in-waiting from the time I heard the Kimmel performance. I was driving on a highway with the song on full blast and the last part almost made me well up. It's a long time since a song (by U2 or any other band) made me feel that way. Every Breaking Wave came close and it is a great song. But the last song that did that for me was Kite, and I was a younger CMIS then.

I'm holding off for release but just fyi, 192 kbps is not CD quality .

You're right it's not.

But for the vast majority of people, listening on average equipment, it's basically transparent (assuming the rip was done correctly, it wasn't a re-encode, etc.)

I'm one who said I wouldn't listen to the Facebook leak. But I wasn't being pious or anything like that. I just wanted a good quality rip, and that's apparently what this is, so I'm satisfied.

A FLAC of the CD or a Vinyl rip in higher quality will be even better but it's probably as good as the iTunes version.

iTunes quality is closer to 320 mp3, if not the exact same. But anything above 192 should sound about the same if it's just computer speakers or your phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom