SOE 33: Bono to open the batting on new album, Larry to keep wicket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What did you think of Love is Bigger?

Sorry. Just added it.
Middle tier. Better than I was expecting. Worried by some early reviews. But wow, the chorus. Other worldly vocals there, and that’s on FB live on my mono phone speaker!

The lyrics are a bit cliche, but as a father, it hits me. That’s what you want for your kids, what you would say. So it sits well with me. People On the live stream really liked this one.

LIAWHL and Landlady are the biggest surprises, for me. Love is Bigger is up there with Iris as one of the best things to come out of this whole phase.

Sorry. Just added it.
Middle tier. Better than I was expecting. Worried by some early reviews. But wow, the chorus. Other worldly vocals there, and that’s on FB live on my mono phone speaker!

The lyrics are a bit cliche, but as a father, it hits me. That’s what you want for your kids, what you would say. So it sits well with me. People On the live stream really liked this one.

My exact same thoughts. Goes at the top of the list for me. When Bono says these songs were love letters to his family, he meant it. You could really feel it in Love is Bigger. It was certainly a hit with the live streamers.

I keep thinking. The songs are tight. But there is a looseness in the delivery on a lot of the songs. They feel really natural.
It is without a doubt the most direct and personal I’ve ever heard bono, at least this much on one album.

Come on people. I know it’s late, but... thoughts?! Reactions?!? This is the new album for fucks sake!!

Solid first impression. Some of these tunes have some real heart in them which I love. But yeah not too sure yet.... All of my fav U2 albums have been like that first listen, so good sign? I didnt like SOI from the start.

Only going to listen to this rip once, and kind of regretting giving in. First impressions are really strong.

Fuck, who thought Little Things could sound even better.

Not a fan of Showmen but maybe it’ll grow on me.

Only going to listen to this rip once, and kind of regretting giving in. First impressions are really strong.

kinda speechless...SOI went down a little too easy. This is something I totally would have expected from U2 of the 90's!! blown away!!

Completely agree on Little Things. I thought the live version from Kimmel was the best we would get, but god, I was wrong on that. Looking forward to seeing what the band does with the song live with additional time and preparation.

String version of Lights of Home sounds somewhat like Burn the Witch by Radiohead. :ohmy:

All I know is the energy in the arenas with the new tour should be something incredible!!!

Agree. Lights of Home String Version is really damn good.

Book of your Heart. That’s straight up old school JT B-side feel, with some UF and a little modern bump in there. Good stuff.

Well, still can’t get the link to work but was able to listen to a few of the last songs on the album on Facebook.

Thought Landlady and 13 were ok, solid enough tunes but I couldn’t help but smile during Love is Bigger. That’s my kind of U2. Oddly enough, it’s one of the songs I was least excited about going in, based on previous descriptions. Thought Book of Your Heart was also great; liked it better than Landlady or 13, at least on first listen.

Can’t wait to hear more of the songs, hopefully tomorrow! Yes, I’ve given up on waiting until the 1st.

My hot take review has 2 major planks in its platform:

1. The stuff released so far is the worst stuff on the album, more or less without exception. But most of that stuff, even the truly grating AS, works better on the album. The album does have an arc, though I'd be hard pressed to describe it now.

2. The political/'relevant'/possibly more recent stuff seems to me the most questionable. Who knows exactly when anything in particular was written, but I still don't like the GOOYOW verses/structure, American Soul, or Blackout (Blackout mostly because of the pasted-in feeling chorus). The grasps at timeliness/relevance stumble when they reach beyond references to a pervasive darkness (which, in a song like "The Little Things," feels as much as or more political than personal.

In sum: The album is at its best in its balance of world-wiseness and surprising big-heartedness. For me, the standout line is from "Landlady": "Every magic potion / Every force in motion / I was living our devotion / To the lies we know are almost true" (could have fudged some words, but that's the gist). There's a really beautiful confused but defiant Bono beating heart on this record, and it really communicates. Especially on "Little Things" and "Landlady," which are emerging as the twin beating heart of the record for me: one outro confessing overwhelming anxiety, and another professing unflagging faith in the world that gave him Ali. :sad:

Back
Top Bottom