SOE 33: Bono to open the batting on new album, Larry to keep wicket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Little Things is absolutely sublime. Wow. I don't know if the album as a whole is hitting me as hard as it's hitting others but the highs are really fucking high.

>hops on Interference
>sees SOE thread has about 500 new posts
>album has leaked?
>ALBUM HAS LEAKED

I just got home from a long night out –quite drunk and did not expect to see it had leaked. I'm drunk and only halfway through, but the suite of Summer of Love/Red Flag Day/The Showman succeeds where Crazy Tonight/Sexy Boots/Stand Up Comedy failed. I didn't know they had it in them

I just got home from a long night out –quite drunk and did not expect to see it had leaked. I'm drunk and only halfway through, but the suite of Summer of Love/Red Flag Day/The Showman succeeds where Crazy Tonight/Sexy Boots/Stand Up Comedy failed. I didn't know they had it in them

YES EXACTLY!! A strong middle triumvirate that exorcises the U2 demons of the past!

first listen:

the songs we didn't hear before tonight are for the most part better than the ones we heard already.

i like about 2/3rds of the album.

this feels a bit more effortless and natural than most of their recent new music.

the callbacks to SOI are nowhere near as obnoxious as they could be, except for on american soul.

landlady is a clunker. american soul is worse. by far the weakest track and it pains me to say that about the one kendrick touched. but there are some surprisingly high highs on this album. definitely looking forward to hearing it again in high quality.

Last edited:
>hops on Interference
>sees SOE thread has about 500 new posts
>album has leaked?
>ALBUM HAS LEAKED

She has finally got the chance to leak

part-of-woman-on-toilet.jpg

That's a pretty good fuckin album. Yes, the singles we heard were definitely not the highlights.

My only initial feeling is that some of these songs feel like they were cut off short, I think there was another place this album could have gone, but they took this minimalist thing a little too seriously.

first listen:

the songs we didn't hear before tonight are for the most part better than the ones we heard already.

i like about 2/3rds of the album.

this feels a bit more effortless and natural than most of their recent new music.

the callbacks to SOI are nowhere near as obnoxious as they could be, except for on american soul.

landlady is a clunker. american soul is worse. by far the weakest track and it pains me to say that about the one kendrick touched. but there are some very high highs on this album. definitely looking forward to hearing it again in high quality.

Sort of agree on American Soul. Very much disagree on Landlady. Cool song.

need to hear this in high quality, but i'm impressed. especially with lights of home, summer of love and red flag day.

Welp.

Not even sure how to collect my thoughts on this.

Off the top of my head -
Edge’s statement about all the songs being single worthy rings true. Maybe only 2 or 3 you would say say wouldn’t.

And second - I think Flanagan may have been right or pretty damn close
“They created something very direct.” And “best since AB”. Now the best since AB is tough. But I’ve listened 3 times and I can’t say this at least doesn’t stand near Zooropa and POP.

Bold yes. But this album does what I thought may have been impossible at this stage in their career.
One, be as, or more consistent than SOI, which is a very consistent album.
Two, really go in some new directions and put new modern twists in their signature sound. I would say much more than SOI in that respect.

Not going into full detail yet.

But right now.

Top tier:
Summer of Love
Red Flag Day
Love is all
Little Things
Landlady
The Blackout

Middle tier:
TBT
Get Out
Lights To Home
Love is Bigger

Bottom tier:
American Soul (although sounds a lot better in the album setting)
The Showman. Good, but just didn’t click with me like the rest, yet. We’ll see.

And these tiers are not miles apart. No positive skippable tracks. That in itself is sorta stunning.

More later, after digesting it for a while.

Last edited:
Welp.

Not even sure how to collect my thoughts on this.

Off the top of my head -
Edge’s statement about all the songs being single worthy rings true. Maybe only 2 or 3 you would say say wouldn’t.

And second - I think Flanagan may have been right or pretty damn close
“They created something very direct.” And “best since AB”. Now the best since AB is tough. But I’ve listened 3 times and I can’t say this at least doesn’t stand near Zooropa and POP.

Bold yes. But this album does what I thought may have been impossible at this stage in their career.
One, be as, or more consistent than SOI, which is a very consistent album.
Two, really go in some new directions and put new modern twists in their signature sound. I would say much more than SOI in that respect.

Not going into full detail yet.

But right now.

Top tier:
Summer of Love
Red Flag Day
Love is all
Little Things
Landlady
The Blackout

Middle tier:
TBT
Get Out
Lights To Home

Bottom tier:
American Soul (although sounds a lot better in the album setting)
The Showman. Good, but just didn’t click with me like the rest, yet. We’ll see.

And these tiers are not miles apart. No poaitive skippable tracks. That in itself is sorta stunning.

More later, after difestingnit for a while.

What did you think of Love is Bigger?

Back
Top Bottom