SOE 32: let there be no leak puns..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Couple of mentions of the embargo now as well. I wonder when it will be lifted?

No joke. Just give us the damn reviews, guys. I'll laugh if the album leaks before the review embargo is lifted.

Also I am so tired of people hating on lyrical references to SOI songs on the companion album. Sure, it's been three years. It's still the bloody companion album. My problem is that the reference we know so far, to Volcano, is not something I'd wish the band to resurrect!

I watched the performance with my wife last night, who's meh at best about the band.

Her only comment was "those glasses are horrible."

When I had the new tunes on repeat in the car my wife said " these songs are so much better then the ones from the last album" :)

When I put the new songs on for a friend - and a (former?) Interferencer - they winced and asked me to never play them again.

So, yeah. I was surprised; I thought I'd be the one to like them less!

Who gives a fuck what they think?

Who gives a fuck what you think about what they think?

And why don't you direct that question to Headache and rennowba's wives? Or is what they think acceptable because one liked the new songs and one just bagged out the much-maligned glasses?

Try harder next time.

Who gives a fuck what you think about what they think?

And why don't you direct that question to Headache and rennowba's wives? Or is what they think acceptable because one liked the new songs and one just bagged out the much-maligned glasses?

Try harder next time.

Don't really care. Was trying to be light hearted

That was a really good article posted by Dan.

It summed up so much of what I have felt about and for the band over the last many years. The bad luck that hit them around SOI was really destructive, and the "aging" of Bono, and the lack of energy of the JT shows. We saw it all. I remember commenting that, they had more energy and smiles on their faces playing Little Things at the end of the show, than they did for the entire first part of the show. This band lives to push new creative output to their fans. That's what they love.

That said. I am pretty surprised about these first couple reviews that we've read... Both have a very similar take on the album. Calling it the best in a long time. Focused, personal, deep and one even saying it was filled with U2 classics.
I like the new songs quite a bit (except for American Soul) but none are classic territory. They are strong material, but in line with the good songs on SOI.

I was thinking this morning, that maybe this really is something that is experienced best as an album in whole. Which is actually a pretty bold thing in these streaming, youtube, downloading, bits and pieces style these days.
Maybe hearing these songs all apart, they are good, but together, they become something greater? Quite possible.

Now - the shining light, optimistic U2 has never been my cup of tea. But I can see that if it is done well. And there is depth to it, I can be on board.
I think so many of us long for AB/Zoo/Pop era. That it can be hard to be on board with a full shift over to a hopeful album about love and acceptance and wanting the best for your family and loved ones.
But I may just be at that age now, where it will work for me. Maybe this is the album (or pair of albums) that the band has really wanted to make for a while now. And we as fans, need to take a step back and appreciate the lens and angle this is all coming from.

I'm ready. I hope it lives up to these first review impressions, because I've been worried in the back of my head...

For what it's worth, I played The Blackout and GOOYOW for a friend of mine who is typically very critical of U2, but does enjoy some of their songs here and there. He loved The Blackout and thought it was amazing that a band that has been around for 40 years was able to make such a "monster of a song." He was very impressed.

He initially was very lukewarm about GOOYOW, and said it "sounded like everything Coldplay has done over the past 10 years." However, a couple of days later he admitted that he might have sold the song short, because the melody started getting stuck in his head, which caused him to go back and listen to it a few times. Now he's calling it "deceptively beautiful."

I made my wife listen to the new songs yesterday and she said they are talentless scum and that nickleback is much better. She also mentioned something about the songs sounding like dogs felating themselves. ;)

I made my wife listen to the new songs yesterday and she said they are talentless scum and that nickleback is much better. She also mentioned something about the songs sounding like dogs felating themselves. ;)

That's so nice of you that you share the opinion of 1 out of 7.5bn people on planet earth. And I am even more impressed about her comments on the sound of the songs. She seems to both have a wonderful taste of good music and a high-class way of expressing her thoughts. Never heard of anybody who did that better. Thank you so much for sharing.

:) the key is to ram u2 down their throats that much that have no choice but to like them :)

That's so nice of you that you share the opinion of 1 out of 7.5bn people on planet earth. And I am even more impressed about her comments on the sound of the songs. She seems to both have a wonderful taste of good music and a high-class way of expressing her thoughts. Never heard of anybody who did that better. Thank you so much for sharing.

My pleasure :) but I can assure you if my wife (if I actually had one) would say that nickleback is better than u2, someone would be sleeping on the cauch the next night. :) edit: and it might be me but SOMEONE will sleep on the cauch.

Last edited:

Yeah, his wife is like the worst.

Someone isn't up on their interference memes

My pleasure :) but I can assure you if my wife (if I actually had one) would say that nickleback is better than u2, someone would be sleeping on the cauch the next night. :) edit: and it might be me but SOMEONE will sleep on the cauch.

I'm choosing to pronounce your misspelling of couch in a way that makes it sound dirty.

I just realized that we have most likely heard almost all of the straight "rock songs" from SOE already. There are 2 more possible ones I believe... if descriptions from the two fans who claim to have heard it are to be believed. Thoughts??

"Love Is All We Have Left" - atmospheric, no drums
"Lights of Home" This is the best chance - but has not been described as a "rocker"
"You're The Best Thing About Me" Pop rock
"Get Out Of Your Own Way" Pop rock
"American Soul" - rawk - we've heard
"Summer of Love" Pop rock/more light and open sounding
"Red Flag Day" - Pop rock
"The Showman (Little More Better)" The next best chance for a rocker
"The Little Things That Give You Away" ballad to medium rock
"Landlady" described as more subdued i believe.
"The Blackout" rock, we've heard
"Love is Bigger Than Anything in Its Way" described as pop rock
"13 (There Is A Light)" slower, ballad

For what it's worth, I invited over 5 of my friends to a party this weekend. I tied them up, placed headphones over their ears and played them the new U2 songs(on DiscMans of course) on repeat and provided yummy snacks and drinks for everyone who said they liked it. Everyone said they loved the songs and we really enjoyed the party.

Except George, not sure what happened to George. I think someone may have called his church. It's ok, no one really cares for George all that much, kind of a party pooper.

That was a good piece by Brendan O'Connor posted a few backs back.

The following is me going off on a tangent, but...his contention in this paragraph is certainly debatable:

"The truth is that for U2 fans, the big news right now is not Bono's rather drab Lithuanian shopping centre. The big news is that our greatest ever artistic success story, and the entity that, more than any, has sold Brand Ireland all over the world for the last four decades, is back on form."

Whilst I definitely agree with his latter claim regarding what the band have done for 'brand Ireland', I'm not sure about the former. I suppose it depends upon how one measures greatness in the arts.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom