SOE 28 - This is Meaningless. We're not getting anything newsworthy for a while

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think that line works lol. I think it's still extremely ridiculous. Granted it's not as bad on the actual song than written. Definitely not as bad as I was dreading it to be. But it's still very silly. Did Lincoln ever say anything like this? Would he? lol

It's all subjective but I'll give you my view:

On paper the line reads very awkwardly just as much as "With a mouth full of teeth, you ate all your friends"

However, the way Bono breaks up the words and delivers them sounds (from a recording of a video recording) great. Where the "with a mouth full of teeth" line was delivered in a manner that didn't improve what he was saying.

As for the actual words, they do make sense although I understand someone thinking they sound strange. Slaves want to be free, masters want to control people and make you think you need them and Lincoln freed the slaves....now who is Lincoln talking to in that line? We will need to wait to hear the context but likely the "master type" persona. You could apply the slaves and masters to today's society(on any side of the politics you might fall because your views are your views) and it makes sense.

But yes, I can see how putting Lincolns name in their is a stretch but I think it might work.

Weird. I tend to be pretty pro-new U2, and this clip sounds like my worst fears realized.

And I generally like/love YTBTAM. I heard it on a real radio station as I was getting out of my Lyft earlier this evening.

What would those fears be?

Mine are pretty much validated by TBT, which is overly produced, glossy, pop.

Doesn’t mean I don’t like the song, but I feel with the pop direction the band has undergone has stripped what makes U2 unique, The Edge.

We’ve heard three songs in full, and none of them really have any wow moments from Edge.

I do think the acoustic TBT has a little bit of that mystic U2 quality. Where the song comes off as joyous but if you really listen to it, and focus on the end....it’s actually a very sad song.

Last lyrics are The best things are easy to destroy, if you’re the best thing about me, why am I walking away ?

Maybe we’ll get more of that on other songs.

What would those fears be?

Mine are pretty much validated by TBT, which is overly produced, glossy, pop.

Doesn’t mean I don’t like the song, but I feel with the pop direction the band has undergone has stripped what makes U2 unique, The Edge.

We’ve heard three songs in full, and none of them really have any wow moments from Edge.

I do think the acoustic TBT has a little bit of that mystic U2 quality. Where the song comes off as joyous but if you really listen to it, and focus on the end....it’s actually a very sad song.

Last lyrics are The best things are easy to destroy, if you’re the best thing about me, why am I walking away ?

Maybe we’ll get more of that on other songs.
The Blackout is in 64k mono. I wouldn't judge Edge's performance in it just yet.

I really hate songs with good choruses and that get stuck in your head, so I think I'm going to hate this album.

You become so positive that you lose the ability to detect sarcasm

That sounded ATYCLB-ish...

And if they're looking for strong choruses, they nailed it with this one.

That sounded ATYCLB-ish...

And if they're looking for strong choruses, they nailed it with this one.

Yeah I agree. Didn't ryan Tedder say the aim is to replicate atyclb? Sure he said that.

Sounds good so far. Beautiful Day drums. It still has that nostalgic 80's vibe of bands that U2 didn't sound like at the time.

Last edited:
Defo hear beautiful day in there. Sounds good from what we can hear

I’m trying not to listen to it too much because similar to Blackout, I want to here the studio version and get the true effect.

With that said, so far what I heard sounds pretty damn cool

The Video could resemble a Mexican dia de los muertos party (end of Oct , beginning Nov)

Which would fit the timing of the rumored release of the song which is late October (10/20 ish).

Curious about their single release strategy because they are clearly still pushing TBT and the song is still growing on radio, so releasing another song would likely cannibalize AirPlay for TBT unless they have a grand plan like release it just to Rock and Alternative where TBT will likely start to fall off much sooner than on Triple A and Hot AC.

They could be getting the filming out of the way for the singles. Even tho they’ll have a new album out they still take their two weeks at end of year for holiday.

Get all this stuff done now before they head back out on tour

Wild guess:

What if it's featured in Pixar's upcoming Day of the Dead movie "Coco," set to come out on Nov. 22 but debuting at a film fest Oct. 20? Sounds uplifting/fun/Pixar-y to me, anyway.

Just thought of it since the day of the dead video felt a little out of left field to me, even given the one "ghost" reference we know of.

Wild guess:

What if it's featured in Pixar's upcoming Day of the Dead movie "Coco," set to come out on Nov. 22 but debuting at a film fest Oct. 20? Sounds uplifting/fun/Pixar-y to me, anyway.

Just thought of it since the day of the dead video felt a little out of left field to me, even given the one "ghost" reference we know of.

That would be brilliant! I hope you're right

Liked hearing some more edge in the break there, but we didn’t really get any more verses. Seemed to be replaying the chorus for filming purposes.
This one is hard to call. I like it. Not sure beyond that. Definitely will need to hear a studio version. Not a song I’d skip, but maybe not one I’d rush to hear. We’ll see...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom