SOE 28 - This is Meaningless. We're not getting anything newsworthy for a while

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's finally a song from the album (aside from the live release of blackout) that we haven't heard of yet. I don't think there will be any nit picking of the song (or as much) sounding forced together or changed because we have no past reference. At first I hated the clip but now I think this could be in the running for the most enjoyable song at least from what's out there so far.

Very true. I think TBT got torn up because of the Kygo mix threw people’s expectations into different directions.

I seriously listened to this clip 3 times before I had to leave and drive home and I found myself singing it already, which is kinda crazy.
Hoping for some good Edge part in there, and that the lyrics flow well, and really hoping we get a full or more complete recording soon!!!!

I’m a little afraid now to state my opinion on a clip, cause I always get criticized, but what the hell. I really like the sound of this clip.
I’m not a huge fan of ATYCLB. And I find BD decent enough.
I get the mention of it, but this feels different to me. The chorus/hook seem really effortless, and flow well. Hoping once we hear the full thing, we don’t have to suffer the constant harping of the song being pasted together. Hoping the flow remains throughout.

The cool part about hearing these bits of songs, and live versions of songs, is that we get to hear them, but still have the anticipation of hearing the full polished studio version.
This has been such a great lead up to an album release. Months of little leaks, and rumors and live debuts. Great time to be a fan.

I like what I am hearing, despite it being easy listening, radio friendly U2, and as you say it does flow very well.

Looks like another catchy tune, which looks to be the goal of this album, rather than the fiery & passionate U2 I prefer.

Are they mutually exclusive in your eyes?

Ofcourse not. From the 4 songs we have heard so far, none contain the fire of past material, like I said, more easy listening, likeable songs.

It's how they have chosen to represent themselves so far with this album.

I would have preferred a followup to Bullet, but we got The Best Thing, which I enjoy very much. Its just not a kickass new U2 single, its a catchy new U2 single.

Enjoying this clip. Each new piece of music I’ve heard for this album gets me more pumped for SOE. I already like more songs on it than on No Line.

Wow cool! I'm digging this song too! So far 4 for 4 on this album!! From what little I heard I could place this one second of the four I've heard. 1. Black out2 gooyow, 3. The little things and 4 the best thing. But I'll have to hear to studio versions of the 3 songs before making final judgement! I'm still most excited to hear the blackout in studio form!

Definitely getting the defiant joy theme that bono said they were aiming for here and all do sound like singles. I think this is the album they’ve been trying to make for a very long time. Very exciting, will be curious to see if they wicker in a true oddball though. Not sensing a song like Fez in this bunch. ;)

Wow cool! I'm digging this song too! So far 4 for 4 on this album!! From what little I heard I could place this one second of the four I've heard. 1. Black out2 gooyow, 3. The little things and 4 the best thing. But I'll have to hear to studio versions of the 3 songs before making final judgement! I'm still most excited to hear the blackout in studio form!

I agree. It’s starting to shape up to be a very consistent album like SOI. That’s what I really want. Tired of skipping half of the 2000-2009 albums.
My gut tells me that Little Things will be the song that has the most dynamic changes on the studio version. And I hope that’s the case. There’s something I love about that song, but also something about it that seems like something’s missing.

I agree. It’s starting to shape up to be a very consistent album like SOI. That’s what I really want. Tired of skipping half of the 2000-2009 albums.
My gut tells me that Little Things will be the song that has the most dynamic changes on the studio version. And I hope that’s the case. There’s something I love about that song, but also something about it that seems like something’s missing.

Yes indeed!! Little things has an amazing end to it! I really love it but it does feel like it's missing something. Maybe the slow buildup to the end. I hope the studio has more of the awesomeness this song has near the ending.

Shockingly 90% of the people over at @U2 forum are loving the song from this windy little clip. Usually the majority shit on anything new.

On a side note, I saw a twitter comment that said they had filmed prior to this at a theater in Mexico. Not sure if that is to be believed.

Weird. I tend to be pretty pro-new U2, and this clip sounds like my worst fears realized.

And I generally like/love YTBTAM. I heard it on a real radio station as I was getting out of my Lyft earlier this evening.

Yes indeed!! Little things has an amazing end to it! I really love it but it does feel like it's missing something. Maybe the slow buildup to the end. I hope the studio has more of the awesomeness this song has near the ending.

Agreeance.

You guys are making a lot of sense.

Plenty of chances for this album to dud out remain, but we’ve already heard so much good stuff. These tunes suggest that’s not likely to happen!

I’m really pumped for it.

Im liking the melodies on these tunes....... Even The Best Thing has grown on me, although the melody is a bit too much like EBTTRT

Liking the sound of this track aswell.

Out of the 4 songs we've heard I really think this is gonna be a great album.

For me it looks like a colourful new album a la Achtung Baby. From 'GOOYOW' I get a Mysterious Ways feeling. TBT more EBTTRT. Blackout a weak version of FLY/ZooStation.

Went to watch a tribute act last night, first half of the show was simple minds and the 2nd half was u2. Was good. And yes the u2 tribute played beautiful day, elevation and vertigo. Yes the crowd loved them :)

Way too early to judge, but based on this one minute video I'm not excited. Let's wait for the full (album) version though....

So when these lyrics were first posted people melted down:

"The slaves are looking for someone to lead 'em, the master's looking for someone to need him. The promised land is there for those who need it most and Lincoln's ghost says get out of your own way."

And from what I heard, he not only made it work but made you want to sing along!

Last edited:
So when these lyrics were first posted people elated down:

The slaves are looking for someone to lead 'em, the master's looking for someone to need him. The promised land is there for those who need it most and Lincoln's ghost says get out of your own way."

And from what I heard, he not only made it work but made you want to sing along!

I don't think that line works lol. I think it's still extremely ridiculous. Granted it's not as bad on the actual song than written. Definitely not as bad as I was dreading it to be. But it's still very silly. Did Lincoln ever say anything like this? Would he? lol

So when these lyrics were first posted people elated down:

The slaves are looking for someone to lead 'em, the master's looking for someone to need him. The promised land is there for those who need it most and Lincoln's ghost says get out of your own way."

I distinctly remember telling people to chill the fuck out and wait until they heard it before they judged

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom