SOE 28 - This is Meaningless. We're not getting anything newsworthy for a while

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure if it's official as in the band commissioned it or official as in someone else did it and the band liked it so they released it on their YouTube channel

The Refinery29 article (here) says it's a "collaboration" and that "U2 sought Pilieva out to make the video." My guess is they're releasing these several videos of differing styles to help add to the Billboard sales chart for TBT.

I'm into love, I just think that this video is a massive overload of it. I don't wanna watch other people get lovely-dovey with each other, and this video takes it too far. Get a room, pass me the bucket etc. I found it uncomfortable to watch. People crying on it too, and loads of talking over the song. It made for unpleasant viewing for me.

man you have no soul :D

(putting sticking plaster back on my heart as i type)

What was the issue with the video?

I found it too in your face with the relationship stuff, I know that's the point, but I found it too much, and there was far too much talking over the song.

If there was less talking over the song, then who knows what I would have thought.

I guess I went in viewing it too much as a music video, and less of a short film project, when perhaps I should have viewed it more as the latter, so that might be what's done it too...

Last edited:
:$ I mean, it’s film making 101 - the more your build people up, the bigger the payoff when you reveal what it is about. You don’t need to read the article to get what this is about, or that it is real people saying goodbye

man you have no soul :D

(putting sticking plaster back on my heart as i type)

I'm sure you're joking, but I have a soul, I'm a very emotional and loving guy. It's just viewing all those couples made me feel awkward, which is not what I wanted from a U2 music video

Last edited:
:$ I mean, it’s film making 101 - the more your build people up, the bigger the payoff when you reveal what it is about. You don’t need to read the article to get what this is about, or that it is real people saying goodbye

I didn't read the article

So Kygo's new EP sold 37 copies in it's first week in the US...
I know sales aren't everything, but yeesh. I feel like the Kygo vs. U2 pairing has really not amounted to what the band had hoped.

Last edited:
I heard TBT on a relatively mainstream (okay, still alternative) radio station in Austin today, and then I kept listening to it. I'm worried this thing may be growing on me a bit!

I heard TBT on a relatively mainstream (okay, still alternative) radio station in Austin today, and then I kept listening to it. I'm worried this thing may be growing on me a bit!

It’s actually not a bad song suffering from some fundamental structural and production issues. Such a shame, but the slow burn promotion is clearly showing some radio penetration. Is it Vertigo? No. Did anyone expect it to be? More fool them.

Anyone following the chart thread knows that this is only a week or so away in the current, still quickly growing trajectory, from topping every single since Vertigo.

Selena Gomez and Ellie Goulding's popularity were marred by U2's right?

No I just think that the U2 v. Kygo single itself hasn't been the breakout hit they wanted (or at least as of yet, anyway). Even when paired on an EP with songs by big names like Selena Gomez and Ellie Goulding, the EP itself did surprisingly low digital sales.

Oh my god that is HORRIBLE.

Please don't tell me that is official?

If so, worst U2 video ever, and by far too. Absolute cringe. Absolutely vomit-inducing.

I think your vomit-inducing centre is stimulated too easily. This video is the perfect companion to the lyrical meaning of the song.

That’s what happened to me. I would listen and find my self inadvertently air drumming a part here and singing a part there....it’s strange but in a good way. As much as this song gets shit for being a generic pop song, there are a lot of layers to it and melodies and sounds going on in the background.

It’s actually not a bad song suffering from some fundamental structural and production issues. Such a shame, but the slow burn promotion is clearly showing some radio penetration. Is it Vertigo? No. Did anyone expect it to be? More fool them.

Anyone following the chart thread knows that this is only a week or so away in the current, still quickly growing trajectory, from topping every single since Vertigo.

Here is the thing...from a pure radio perspective (which is important), if it keeps on its current trend it will be the most popular/successful U2 song since Vertigo in 2 weeks or so.

From a Hot 100 perspective, which is the ultimate bar for success, you have:

SYCMIOYO- 97
Ordinary Love - 84
Magnificent- 79
Saints are coming -51
Boots- 37

With that said, I’m maybe the only fool here who thinks TBT will hit the top 100 eventually. However, ALL of the above songs hit those positions based almost exclusively on first week sales (ie U2s name) or as in Ordinary Loves case a single week of sales after a televised performance.

Some had decent airplay but none (especially Boots) were true “hits” like Vertigo or Beautiful Day who stayed on the Hot 100 for months(hell, BD worked its way up the chart very slowly).

Time will tell if TBT fizzles out into nothingness like the SOI singles or actually becomes “something”.

Still not convinced TBT will hit the Hot100. But I think we also have to remember that we can not in almost any way compare a songs success on the current chart system with songs from NLOTH and earlier. It's a completely different ballgame.

BD was about radio play and physical copies being purchased.
HTDAAB singles had radio, physical copies and downloads, as did NLOTH.
Now we have downloads, streams, YouTube views and radio play.
Because of the explosion of streaming and youtube views for younger artists or a particular set of current hot artists (Swift, Adele, Sheeran, Imagine Dragons, Post Malone, etc...) it heavily skews the chart to a different demo than when it was just radio play and sales.

This of course hits rock acts, lesser known artists and older acts like U2 pretty hard because they just don't get nearly the same amount of attention on streaming and especially youtube.

That's why I think that TBT will do pretty well on the radio side. As Cosmo has said, probably better than anything since Vertigo. It may even do ok on downloads compared to past singles. But because of new chart rules, the Hot100 is going to be a really tough thing to do.

Now they are incorporating YouTube not just into the Hot100 but the Top200 Album chart.

This could be a CRAZY development. Especially if they count total youtube views that have accumulated before and albums release into first week sales!!! It could mean that someone like Taylor Swift who might have a first week number of 600,000 normally, could end up going well over the the 1 million mark if they are using the same calculation of 1500 views equals 1 album sale. Right now she has about 600,000,000 views for her first 2 singles which would give her an extra 433k album equivalent sales!!!

A band like U2 with maybe 6 or 7 million views by they time they release SOE would only get an extra 4,500 albums tacked on.

Now they may not add the accumulated views and only add views during the actual week of tallying, and that would make more sense, and i hope that is how it works, but we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom