SOE- 27: And SOE it Begins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not exactly. You can get stuck in the mud, but with help get freed.

Moments are by definition fleeing, so they got stuck and couldn't be helped out.

Exactly. Once I was at my friend Rabbit's house, ate a lot of honey and got fat. When I tried to leave I got stuck in a hole. It was only for a moment though.

I like ultraviolet a lot and thought it was amazing on 360, but i agree this version is very flat.

The 360 version is so good. I didn't think it was possible to improve upon the album version, but they found a way! I was so surprised and let down when I heard what they did with it on this tour. Oh well... that was my only complaint of an otherwise fantastic concert. Bono's vocals were in fine form last night.

"The Best Thing" sounded really good. As one review read, "it didn't flinch in the presence of mega hits like "Beautiful Day", "Elevation" and "Vertigo". It really did hold it's own next to them. I was somebody who was initially underwhelmed by TBT, but I'll be damned if that song hasn't grown on me.

The 360 version is so good. I didn't think it was possible to improve upon the album version, but they found a way! I was so surprised and let down when I heard what they did with it on this tour. Oh well... that was my only complaint of an otherwise fantastic concert. Bono's vocals were in fine form last night.

"The Best Thing" sounded really good. As one review read, "it didn't flinch in the presence of mega hits like "Beautiful Day", "Elevation" and "Vertigo". It really did hold it's own next to them. I was somebody who was initially underwhelmed by TBT, but I'll be damned if that song hasn't grown on me.

I've just been listening to 360 videos since this.

God, these are so good. I wish I could have made it to that tour :(

I like ultraviolet a lot and thought it was amazing on 360, but i agree this version is very flat.

This seems to be the consenus around here. I wonder why, has anyone broken down the exact differences in this version? Are there specific musical differences in this version (tuning, key, speed, guitars, drums, arrangement, vox, etc) that arent cared for? Or is mostly due to the thematic associations/video used, setlist placement?

I agree that UV is pretty "meh" this tour, but was unbelievable on 360. Part of it might be due to the screen absorbing everybody's attention for the majority of it. As someone was saying, even last night when they played TBT right after BD - Elevation - Vertigo there was still a good vibe in the crowd for the new tune, but it definitely died down a bit during UV.

I think it all comes down to how Bono's singing it this tour. I have some bootleg recordings of both tours and the music sounds about the same as 360 but he's singing it in a much lower tone on JT tour.

Biggest difference: on 360 he would start the "you buried your treasure" verse with that loud/high/raw shouting vocal and it took the song to new heights. This time around it's almost all sung monotone and the song really suffers for it. In some choruses he almost sounds disinterested. It's a bummer too, UV was one of my 360 highlights.

I think it all comes down to how Bono's singing it this tour. I have some bootleg recordings of both tours and the music sounds about the same as 360 but he's singing it in a much lower tone on JT tour.

Biggest difference: on 360 he would start the "you buried your treasure" verse with that loud/high/raw shouting vocal and it took the song to new heights. This time around it's almost all sung monotone and the song really suffers for it. In some choruses he almost sounds disinterested. It's a bummer too, UV was one of my 360 highlights.

Exactly! That key change (I'm not a musician, but I think that's what it was) was epic. He doesn't change keys until "I remember..." and then it still isn't that raw, gritty style of 360 UV. Plus, he's not jumping around and then swinging from a mic. And he's not wearing a suit of lights.

Honestly, the UV thug is exactly what has happened with NYD - they said they made a conscious decision to stick to album versions of songs for this tour. UV vocal melody/notes for the second verse are no exception

Exactly! That key change (I'm not a musician, but I think that's what it was) was epic. He doesn't change keys until "I remember..." and then it still isn't that raw, gritty style of 360 UV. Plus, he's not jumping around and then swinging from a mic. And he's not wearing a suit of lights.
It's not a key change as such, he was singing the second verse an octave higher on 360 and it sounded great, really gave the song energy. How he does it now is the same as the album version (lower octave first 2 verses, higher for the last)

I remember when I first saw them play "Ultraviolet" on the 360 Tour, when he went to the higher octave in the 2nd verse, my head nearly exploded because I thought it was so awesome! He just kinda screamed it; "YOU BURY YOUR TREASURE WHERE IT CAN NOT BE FOUND!!!! BUT YOUR LOOOOOOOVE IS LIKE A SECRET...". To me, it was one of the highlights of the 360 Tour.

That was also the same concert that saw the debut of "Your Blue Room", which really sucked the life out of the stadium, but it was so awesome I didn't pay any attention to anybody else.

UV was stunning on 360. Absolutely the concert highlight of my life to date.

Definitely a step down on this tour, but the reality of the situation is that Bono is aging, and that's okay. I still loved hearing it in Dallas, and I love the theming. Absolutely a show highlight still from my perspective.

We seeing Mercy on this album?

I kid, I kid.

Did anyone here see it during 360 unspoiled? I can only imagine the rollercoaster of emotions before being delivered the final, subpar product.

We seeing Mercy on this album?

I kid, I kid.

Did anyone here see it during 360 unspoiled? I can only imagine the rollercoaster of emotions before being delivered the final, subpar product.

I heard it in Munich but folks there werent familiar with it

I think it's empty hippy bullshit and I don't think that the egalitarian impulse, for example, is driven by love. Unless Love and God are interchangeable...and I think it's even sillier.
tenor.gif

these titles are horrible.

it's troubling that Bono, an man closing in on 60, seems to think that LOVE is the governing force of the world.

I don't know why people are ragging on this post. Bono's politics, at least as espoused on the current tour and in recent interviews, are thoroughly naive and trite.

I don't know why people are ragging on this post. Bono's politics, at least as espoused on the current tour and in recent interviews, are thoroughly naive and trite.

Hollow Island often has insightful, fair criticisms, but that post isn't one of them.

Hollow Island often has insightful, fair criticisms, but that post isn't one of them.

Thanks, but let me explain.

There is no evidence that man loves his fellow man, nor is there evidence that love has defeated a problem. Like, universal healthcare wasn't born of love but a sense of fairness. To use but one example. If love was all-powerful then we'd have already worked together to defeat the climate crisis.

Love is obviously important but to say it's the strongest thing, even on a personal level, is absurd. If it was the strongest thing then relationships wouldn't be ruined by financial pressures, for instance. I'm sure we've all had loves that were defeated by other things.

It's not a key change as such, he was singing the second verse an octave higher on 360 and it sounded great, really gave the song energy. How he does it now is the same as the album version (lower octave first 2 verses, higher for the last)

Keys, octave, same thing. :sexywink:
That's why I'm one of those posters whose big insight is "I like the song. It's catchy and the lyrics are nice."

Back
Top Bottom