SOE 25 - The Freakout

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Either way, we can agree that it was great to see Bangladesh put in a good performance and finally get some recognition as one of the the better teams in test cricket at the moment.
Wow dude! Thanks!!

I agree with everything you said.

Just to be clear, I am not attacking you or your position. Just pointing out that it is a bit disingenuous if people (not you) are diminishing a song just because of the age of the people who are playing it.

Should they sing about discounts? I mean, if we win arguments by disengaging with content and being facetious, sure.

Considering the Kygo remix wasn't officially released, I'm not sure if that's the best example. Especially since we never would have heard it if someone didn't pull up their phone that day (heck, I post on here and went out of my way not to hear it, so it didn't affect whatever later on... that was just me though). I'm assuming no one really looked down on all the remixes they released with Oakenfold back in the day or looked at them as the be all, end all version either.

Ones to consider would be the will.I.am or RedOne collaborations that happened less than a decade ago. But again, we never heard anything from them, so they ultimately chose not to go that route in the end (aside from will.I.am contributing the keyboards on Magnificent or whatever). As far as the public is considered, those never happened.

Should they sing about discounts? I mean, if we win arguments by disengaging with content and being facetious, sure.

That wasn't meant as a personal shot at you. But I did struggle a bit with how "when the lights go out" could be seen as appealing to tweens, hence the comparison. If that's somehow considered something for a 12-year-old or whatever, then what would be "age-appropriate" to sing otherwise?

Last edited:
Also, Blackout has nothing to do with terror attacks. As the Washington Post says, democracy dies in darkness. It's about finding your way in an age of that who shall remain nameless. I don't want to start a political debate.

Well said.

I'm open to the idea that the song has other secondary meetings wrapped up in it--stuff personal to Bono or the band, or other political 'earthquakes' in Europe and elsewhere, not just the U.S.--but I think you nailed the primary meaning.

Last edited:
Yea just because one website dropped one line everyone thinks it's about terror now.

I don't see it even in the least, and I think people are trying to shoehorn that idea that one site (Entertainment Weekly, not exactly a source known to be close to the band) three out there.

I think this song is pretty clearly autobiographical, and is about the band, or Bono specifically, dealing with the fallout from the last few albums and their perceived loss of relevance in the mainstream.

Big Mouth is Bono.

I can see the argument that it's about Trump as well... but in no way can I see this lyric as being about the aftermath of a terror attack. It doesn't fit unless you foce it to fit.
Force it to fit is a bit harsh. I think the autobiographical thing makes sense too. Anyway, none of us here know for sure. Terror attacks, with them being in Paris in November 2014, seemed to be a relevant thing to talk about. I am not saying that EW is gospel, btw

"An earthquake happening while you are in bed" this is more or less what we felt in Europe with Donald Trump. We went to bed with Hillary certainly elected and woke up with Donald Trump. In the context of the song I can presume the Trump election may be in there.
Thats a good connection. I was asleep in bed when Brexit happened

Songs of Experience after all. SOI had songs about the band and their experiences specifically that could double as more general or political songs. Seems like they're continuing the trend here.

Moving on from Blackout slightly...

When do we think the press embargo will be lifted and we'll get access to all the album previews from those listening sessions?

My bet is after Wednesday, when TBT is released and the album is formally announced.

A dinosaur wonders why it still walks the earth is a pretty blatant nod to the fact that u2 have recently questioned their relevance and existence as a band.

Don't you ever doubt the light that we can really be is them showing the inner belief that they can be great again, even if it doesn't seem likely, or won't be the same.

We had it all and what we had is not coming back - they know they can't be as big as they once were.

Last edited:
Songs of Experience after all. SOI had songs about the band and their experiences specifically that could double as more general or political songs. Seems like they're continuing the trend here.
Exxxxxxactly.

This was the clear theme of SOI, why should we think what is essentially a companion album would diverge from that theme?

Force it to fit is a bit harsh. I think the autobiographical thing makes sense too. Anyway, none of us here know for sure. Terror attacks, with them being in Paris in November 2014, seemed to be a relevant thing to talk about. I am not saying that EW is gospel, btw
I don't think it's harsh at all. What in the song relates to the aftermath of terror attacks, even metaphorically?

I don't deny that it's a relevant topic and may show itself on the album. But not this song.

I can certainly see that, and the opening line about dinosaurs wondering why they are still around backs it up.
But I'm just wondering who the hell are Ned, Jack, Zack etc?

The band's pseudonyms that they check into hotels under on the road.

Edge = Jack Meoff
Adam = Zack Zackenburger
Bono = Ned Flounders
Larry = Fred Stoneface

Okay, I heard a lot of the lyrics as a catastrophe/terrorism song (although I know that they are rarely talking about just one thing in a song), and EW started me down on that path, but maybe I am wrong.

It can broadly be said to be a song about the thin veil of security that we think is impenetrable. That could apply to their career as an ageing, once-relevant band as well as political matters.

A dinosaur wonders why it still walks the earth is a pretty blatant nod to the fact that u2 have recently questioned their relevance and existence as a band.

Don't you ever doubt the light that we can really be is them showing the inner belief that they can be great again, even if it doesn't seem likely, or won't be the same.

We had it all and what we had is not coming back - they know they can't be as big as they once were.

I don't disagree with you, in the sense that multiple meanings possible and even likely, and I'm glad the song lends itself to different interpretations. Having said that, "we had it all" comes directly after "Democracy is flat on its back." I don't think that line (or really any lines from the song) can be said to be *primarily* about the band.

I don't think it's harsh at all. What in the song relates to the aftermath of terror attacks, even metaphorically?

I don't deny that it's a relevant topic and may show itself on the album. But not this song.
I was not saying aftermath, but the point when the shit hits the fan, when things go black. I just think there is a lovely contrast between security and when everything blacks out.

The extended ending is what strengthened the impression. Everything explodes into the chorus right after 'so glad we are still here'. Like I said, I am probably wrong, that could apply to their career.

Well its interesting because U2 have chosen The Blackout not to be a single. It is a solid song though and its serving its purpose as a taste of SOE. The exciting thing is The Blackout is possibly good enough to be a single but they must have atleast 2 or 3 other songs they think are better choices which will be released as singles. This is exciting.

Last edited:
I don't disagree with you, in the sense that multiple meanings possible and even likely, and I'm glad the song lends itself to different interpretations. Having said that, "we had it all" comes directly after "Democracy is flat on its back." I don't think that line (or really any lines from the song) can be said to be *primarily* about the band.
That's the only line that speaks politically to me, your right... but it could also be a metaphor for troubles within the band, as the band has always been heralded as a democracy, or it could just be a line Bono threw in to refer to the state of the world.

Exxxxxxactly.

This was the clear theme of SOI, why should we think what is essentially a companion album would diverge from that theme?

Pretty much, though in fairness I think we can expect things to get a bit more political this time around (not only have they admitted as much, but in general now is a much more politically charged environment than 3 years ago). There weren't any lyrics about democracy in SOI after all, and even if that line too might have a double meaning, it's certainly leaning a little more into the political side of it.

But clearly most of the songs will be primarily about the band. Ex. Little Things: "big mouth in the way"

Trump gets elected while Europe is asleep; the event is a shock to the world and considered a "seismic" event.

The band announces they wanted to postpone SoE so they can try to make sure the album captures the current state of the world.

The band comes out with a song about an earthquake that happened while they were asleep that has knocked democracy flat on its back and has people coping to find their way in newfound darkness.

People express skepticism that the song is about Trump's election. :doh:

Trump gets elected while Europe is asleep; the event is a shock to the world and considered a "seismic" event.

The band announces they wanted to postpone SoE so they can try to make sure the album captures the current state of the world.

The band comes out with a song about an earthquake that happened while they were asleep that has knocked democracy flat on its back and has people coping to find their way in newfound darkness.

People express skepticism that the song is about Trump's election. :doh:
I said I could see the Trump angle as well... My only "nah, not at all" was in reference to the song being about the aftermath of a terror strike.

I think the overlying theme of this album will be Bono opening up about himself. We saw some of it on SOI, but haven't really seen that kind of writing from Bono since Pop. I hope I'm right as I feel it's been missing.

I said I could see the Trump angle as well... My only "nah, not at all" was in reference to the song being about the aftermath of a terror strike.

I think the overlying theme of this album will be Bono opening up about himself. We saw some of it on SOI, but haven't really seen that kind of writing from Bono since Pop. I hope I'm right as I feel it's been missing.
Again, not to be a stickler, but not once did I say 'aftermath' (assuming I am the only one who brought up the terrorism angle other than EW). I would completely disagree with aftermath too. But I think it is about when or just before the shit hits the fan, maybe not in a terrorism sense.

And Headache is someone I see as being right about things more often than not, so please understand that I am not getting into a heated argument here. A lot gets lost in the words

Video stands at about 2.21 million views at 21 hours.
So gonna be about 2.5 million in 24 hours.

About 20-25 different media outlets talking about the Blackout release yesterday (from quick Google news search)

I think that's a pretty fair amount of attention.

I do get a feeling the band is trying to get a variety of songs out there to get interest going from a variety of fans.

Little Things - Slower, more introspective, standard Edge sound building at the end.
TBT - (from what we can assume) More direct pop sound, bouncy, catchy, possible electronic elements
The Blackout - Straight rocker with a groove, 90's sound with modern touches...

This kinda covers the bases. Now the question remains. Where do they go from here? 3 months out and we've heard a quarter of the album. 3 months of nothing new is a long time in music world these days. Wondering what else they have up their sleeve...

I can certainly see that, and the opening line about dinosaurs wondering why they are still around backs it up.
But I'm just wondering who the hell are Ned, Jack, Zack etc?

Going with the theme of Western democracy dying , ie adressingTrump in the lyrics Bono wanted to use American sounding names : Jack, Ned, Fred, and Zack (Zach?).

I guess The Best thing has to be pretty spectacular that it earned the first single title ahead of this song.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom