SOE 16: Protect This House

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL at that Billboard article change. Maybe if the U2 machine would get their shit together, they wouldn't have to be reacting to stuff posted. Mystery Ticketmaster event, Omaze contest, now this.

These effin guys, I tell you...

Sent from my SM-G920T using U2 Interference mobile app

Anyone knows when the Bonnaroo lineup is announced? I assume it's shortly after Coachella, which is usually during the first two weeks of January.
Also, I love the Christmas video. There's a guitar-shaped gift under the tree with a sticky note that says 'B', assuming it's for Bono. Poor guy.
It could very well be a tour of SOE and JT in the same show...perhaps both in their entirety. :hmm:
I hope it's both in the same show, but there's a better chance of JT getting played in it's entirety than SOE.

Last edited:
I'm going to go ahead and make the prediction now that we don't see SOE at all. They'll get lost in the music while touring for a 30 year old album in their traveling studio.

The JT Tour will be cool but expect the album in 2019 earliest.

Full album, all the b sides, and the outtakes. If you do it, do it right!

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

We should be happy if they can actually assemble the 11 album tracks and play them. 27 year old Bono couldn't carry Red Hill's chorus every night but 57 year old Bono can? We shall see, I guess.

Also, even if they do get a version of Red Hill put together, I will be genuinely surprised if they get all 11 tracks because of Exit. That song (if used as a gun control vehicle) would have been perfect since Elevation but they sadly left it on the shelf. I'd like to think they'd steal that song back from a crazy murderer. It's about time they did.

That said, on the B-sides, I would settle for Luminous Times alone.

I know they didn't play Achtung Baby in full during the last half of 360 when it became the defacto AB anniversary tour, but I have to imagine that they will play Joshua Tree front to back here. Maybe even toss in a few B sides and or Rattle and Hum era songs.

I have to imagine they'll open with Streets and play it right through, take an intermission like during i/e and then come on with the rest of the songs through the second set and encore.

There's a chance the upcoming tour could be both Joshua Tree AND new material, borrowing the gimmick of the I+E tour's two-halved setlist. The first half is five SOE songs and five old hits, then the second half is all 11 Joshua Tree songs (probably not in the original track listing, but re-ordered for a better flow in concert). Then there's an encore with a couple more old hits and maybe one more new song, and that's that.

Really, with only minor tinkering, Joshua Tree's songs fit pretty well into the standard back half of the I&E setlist anyway.

* One Tree Hill (band in the screen, scenic pics of New Zealand)
* Trip Through Your Wires
* two acoustic songs (In God's Country, Red Hill Mining Town)
* Running To Stand Still (piano ballad, taking the place of EBW)
* Bullet The Blue Sky
* Exit
* I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
* (Mother & Child reunion snippet) Mothers Of The Disappeared
* Where The Streets Have No Name
* With Or Without You

I think billboard and these other outlets are getting their wires crossed. i dont think for a second they're gonna tour in honor of the 30th anniversary of JT. I think for a few special shows they'll celebrate it by playing it in full. But the tour is for the new record.

That's how I took it, too.

Also, stadiums for a 30 year old album ? Really ?

As for being blackmailed into this by LiveNation because there is no tour/SOE isn't out yet...interesting theory, assuming you believe U2 is the kind of band that could be bullied into doing anything. If SOE comes out early enough there is no reason the tour can't go on in the same year. U2place even reports Jan 2017 as a release date for SOE.

As for AB, pencil it now : 2021 shows. No way are they playing JT but passing Achtung up. Come on.

Last edited:
That's how I took it, too.

Also, stadiums for a 30 year old album ? Really ?

I know, right? That's the first giveaway that it's fake, right???

9528060_bruce-springsteen--the-e-street-band-etihad_efdff432_m.jpg

There's a chance the upcoming tour could be both Joshua Tree AND new material, borrowing the gimmick of the I+E tour's two-halved setlist. The first half is five SOE songs and five old hits, then the second half is all 11 Joshua Tree songs (probably not in the original track listing, but re-ordered for a better flow in concert). Then there's an encore with a couple more old hits and maybe one more new song, and that's that.

Really, with only minor tinkering, Joshua Tree's songs fit pretty well into the standard back half of the I&E setlist anyway.

* One Tree Hill (band in the screen, scenic pics of New Zealand)
* Trip Through Your Wires
* two acoustic songs (In God's Country, Red Hill Mining Town)
* Running To Stand Still (piano ballad, taking the place of EBW)
* Bullet The Blue Sky
* Exit
* I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
* (Mother & Child reunion snippet) Mothers Of The Disappeared
* Where The Streets Have No Name
* With Or Without You
If... and obviously still a big if... but if they play the whole album, they'd play it in order. Playing the album in full but changing the order is silly.

Anyone knows when the Bonnaroo lineup is announced? I assume it's shortly after Coachella, which is usually during the first two weeks of January.
Also, I love the Christmas video. There's a guitar-shaped gift under the tree with a sticky note that says 'B', assuming it's for Bono. Poor guy.

I hope it's both in the same show, but there's a better chance of JT getting played in it's entirety than SOE.
The running rumor for Bonnaroo is January 11th.

Not sure about that. They've missed the boat to "keep the tour going" by about a year! If SOE is done then they'll want to get a single out asap, promo, the album etc and announce a tour surely?

Being seen to be relevant isn't going to be helped by announcing a few one off gigs to celebrate a 30 year old album. Maybe they plan some one off gigs where they'll play the whole album? Mid tour maybe?

Who knows what they're thinking.

But Larry was smiling AND laughing. That's surely the headline from this short clip?

If... and obviously still a big if... but if they play the whole album, they'd play it in order. Playing the album in full but changing the order is silly.

Nah I've seen some bands do it. When I saw Television play Marquee Moon they altered the order so that the title track came last. It meant the set built well to a popular conclusion rather than frontloading with hits and then gradually losing some of the crowd.

I've been at one of those Springsteen concerts where he threw in the entire Born to Run album, while touring a different album. But he normally plays 30+ songs so can still play 20+ other tracks including new songs.

I guess U2 have 3 obvious options (maybe more):

1) Delay SOE and do a full-scale TJT tour instead - with all album tracks, some b-sides (Spanish Eyes, Silver & Gold & Sweetest Thing) then a best-of set featuring 8 or so tracks

2) Release SOE and tour that album, inserting a mini-setlist of TJT (maybe 7-8 songs in a row) - perhaps in a select number of slightly longer concerts

3) Release and tour SOE, but play a handful of dedicated TJT concerts in summer - possibly at festivals rather than their own concerts

My guess: a northern spring/summer series of TJT concerts across Europe & North America then release SOE in July(ish) and restart I+E for the southern summer (Australia, NZ, Asia in December & January)

Well if that Billboard article is bs then there is nothing to worry about. In U2's video there is nothing suggesting a full JT tour. Could be a few shows and that's it. The rest of 2017 could very well be dedicated to SOE.

Ugh I hate that phrase.

Why shouldn't they celebrate their past?

Just in the past u2 have always been very vocal about being about the future and not the past. Theve always toured with alot of new songs ( bar the end of 360)

Every act seems to do it bar radiohead. So i dont think theres anything wrong with it myself but its just a question is this when u2 vocally celebrate their past

If Bono says there'll be some shows to celebrate 30 years JT and they end up not touring the full album, will that mean Bono lied?

Well if that Billboard article is bs then there is nothing to worry about. In U2's video there is nothing suggesting a full JT tour. Could be a few shows and that's it. The rest of 2017 could very well be dedicated to SOE.

I'd guess the billboard article was taken down because it was too accurate - U2 probably want to reveal these plans themselves.

I'll feel a little more optimistic about a JT tour (In relation to SoE) if it's quite short. If it's just a handful of cities, then that would still leave quite a lot of time to complete SoE.

Who gives a shit about TJT! I just want a new album, and new songs on tour.

I'm the total opposite. Been hoping for this sort of thing for a while. U2 have not interested me with their new material for quite some time but have plenty of wonderful songs in their back catalogue that I would love to hear live. If they did a tour with nothing post-Pop in the set I would be far more delighted than if they released a new album I'm unlikely to play even ten times.

I'm the total opposite. Been hoping for this sort of thing for a while. U2 have not interested me with their new material for quite some time but have plenty of wonderful songs in their back catalogue that I would love to hear live. If they did a tour with nothing post-Pop in the set I would be far more delighted than if they released a new album I'm unlikely to play even ten times.

Fair enough. To each their own. I just want to hear new material though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom