So when is it time to move on?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

indra

ONE love, blood, life
Today I decided to go in search of the negativity on Interference and being far to chicken to venture into IO or a whole host of chat threads, I decided co check out the U2 related threads.

I read where people complain U2's last two albums suck, the live shows don't have the passion or spark they think they should have, that the band's charging too much for everything, etc. Then, of course, there are always people who tell these first people that they (the first people) don't know what they are talking about and they should be happy with whatever the band's doing.

So my question is, when is it time to move on? Or when does one become not a fan, or become a former fan?

I know from my own experience and also from reading some posts from others on here, some people are moving on. Are those people no longer considered fans? Or just no longer good fans? :wink:

I'll give you a quick rundown of my own U2 experience:

In the early 80's I heard this wonderful band and the more I heard the more I liked. It was really more like an obsession -- I couldn't imagine that they could ever do anything I didn't at least really like, and most of their work I loved. I couldn't imagine any band being better than U2 and couldn't ever imagine every being less than ecstatic about the release of any of their albums. I never managed to see them live (for a variety of reasons), but always promised myself I would someday.

Then things changed. The last album I had purchased of theirs, while I had played it loads when new, just hadn't quite clicked with me...there were several songs I just found annoying on it. And I was listening to other bands. A lot. And some of these bands I really liked. :shifty: When U2's next album came out, I didn't buy it right away, and the songs I heard on the radio from it I didn't really like. But eventually I bought the album, after all, it was U2 -- my favorite band. I hated it. I tried listening to it several more times, but it just didn't interest me. That was actually a kind of painful experience because of what the band and their music had meant to me. So I sold it off and bought other music that did interest me. I haven't bought a U2 album since.

So I have moved on, but I'm also still a fan (albeit a very casual one) since I still like the music I so loved all those years ago. I still find I enjoy some aspects of them as a band, and although I no longer wish to see them live, it is kind of fun to read the stories of people so excited because they are finally getting to go to their very first U2 show.

In life we all move on. We all change, our loves change and there was a time u2 were there for you . Now maybe your life has changed and you have to find new loves, and good luck to you in doing it. As bono said .. youve got to leave it behind.

U2 were obviously a part of your life but you can't always cling to former glories. If you stand still in life you get left behind, and all you're left with is this stuff you've been clinging onto for dear life.

Take a break from u2, move on and don't listen. Listen in 6 months or a year see if they're still something you want in life.

But all the best mate, whatever you choose

Dave

I could be wrong, but wasnt it Achtung Baby that you didnt like indra? if I'm right, I don't blame you for not wanting to say it around here :wink:

to answer your question, I guess whenever you stop enjoying a band's music, you should move on and not feel bad about it. music is for enjoyment, some people here try to dissect things a little too much. I respect you for being able to realise that U2 don't make music you enjoy anymore and leaving it at that. :up:

i got into u2 in the 90's, but not for their 90's material. the 7oshua tree got me into them, and then rattle and hum (right after a break up actually).

that was all i needed. i then got achtung baby and loved it, the rest is history.

this was all in 1998 or so, so yeah, there was some time to get accustomed to their material before 2000 came.

and when it did, i was pumped. finally, a new album from a band that was my favourite.

i remember listening to the songs that i had downloaded at university, and saying to myself "yeaah...this is good".

but at the same time deep down i was thinking "that's all there is?? everything else i've heard by them had that extra something. these are simple songs without anything to make them special."

i was in denial for a few months, until about 2001 when i finally realized that atyclb was a waste of my time. it was a bitter pill, believe me. noone was a bigger u2 fan than me.

then all their pr shit really pissed me off (with target, best buy, etc. etc.). why does a band such as u2 have to resort to this?! is what i thought. still do, for the record.

i gave them another chance with how to dismantle, and at first was really impressed. some songs are still alright, but again, there's absolutely nothing there that is special in my opinion.

the final nail in the coffin is their dismissal of the 90's. that pisses me off the most. to me, that's what makes them sellouts...forget all the other garbage (ipods, etc.)...it's their distate for work they originally stood for but now pretend as if never existed because it wasn't praised endlessly by mindless north american mainstream media critics.

why do i stick around? it's like watching a car crash, in slow motion. all they did up to 1998 ruled, and i love hearing those songs, watching those tapes/dvds from concerts of years past.

but they've become everything i once thought they were not. really, how much different are they from bon 7ovi these days?

BON FUCKING 7OVI.

should i even be asking that question???

that's how low they've become, in my mind.

nevermind bono practically becoming a republican, i'll save that rant for a different time.

and their website...CHARGING MONEY to read interviews of the band? are you kidding me? this is the same band as they were in the 80s??

bullshit. it's all BULLSHIT.

Last edited:
what i find hilarious is that a lot of people can't move on, and they feel that they need to convince the people who are enjoying U2 in the now differently. makes me wonder if those people actually 100% believe what they're saying.

i mean everything i said.

i wouldn't have wasted my time with that, if i hadn't.

i didn't mention you by name. i don't believe i've seen you carry the attitude i was describing. but there are some here who knock U2 and knock U2, and when you disagree with them, they call you a "blind follower". those people should be banned, or even tortured.

Zoomerang, are you just being eccentric, or is the "J" key on your keyboard broken? What's up with the 7s?

macphisto23 said:
Im curious what the 2 albums were? ATYCLB, and HTDAAB?

Originally posted by VertigoGal
I could be wrong, but wasnt it Achtung Baby that you didnt like indra? if I'm right, I don't blame you for not wanting to say it around here :wink:

And VertigoGal wins the prize! :) It was Rattle & Hum and Achtung Baby that were pretty much the end of the road for me. Actually, I really don't think it was so much that those two albums are all that horrid...I just wasn't the same person I was when I practically worshipped them and the music didn't appeal as it once had. And that was my cue to move on....

For those who wonder why the hell I'm here if I haven't purchased a U2 album in nearly a decade and a half...well, it's kind of two fold. 1) a friend and I were discussing our current musical loves and her's was U2 (I think most of you already know mine as I'm shameless :D ), and that piqued my interest in them again. 2) my beloved Church forum and chatroom had been kinda slow for a while so I was looking for a place to talk to people. Most general interest chatrooms being complete crap, I decided to combine checking out what U2 was up to these days and finding people to chat with -- and I ended up here.

Although the music I have heard from the new album hasn't bowled me over, I do enjoy the forum, so you're stuck with me. :)

what i dont understand is why do people who dont like u2 have a couple of thousand posts in a forum about u2?

Zoomerang96 said:

the final nail in the coffin is their dismissal of the 90's. that pisses me off the most. to me, that's what makes them sellouts...forget all the other garbage (ipods, etc.)...it's their distate for work they originally stood for but now pretend as if never existed because it wasn't praised endlessly by mindless north american mainstream media critics.

Are you only refferring to "Pop" and what Bono and larry have said about going back and remixing, etc..? Or what else have they said?

TheMofoFly said:
what i dont understand is why do people who dont like u2 have a couple of thousand posts in a forum about u2?

4080 for me. ;)

Because it's a fun forum and there are many, many threads that have nothing to do with U2 at all.

Besides I was a serious, hot and heavy fan for a good eight years, and still consider myself a casual fan. I don't think a fan has to like everything a band has ever done -- if that was the case I wouldn't be a fan of anyone, not even Kilbey or The Church. :ohmy:

Last edited:
indra said:
I don't think a fan has to like everything a band has ever done -- if that was the case I wouldn't be a fan of anyone, not even Kilbey or The Church. :ohmy:

:ohmy: indeed.
:shocked:

:wink:

Popmartijn said:

I know! It's shocking. But "Busdriver" and "Maybe These Boys" just suck! (and there are other horrors in their catalog too :rolleyes: )

I became a fan back in 1987. In general I don't like U2's new millennium incarnation - at least not compared to all their previous eras (I won't get into the reasons here - it's all been said a million times before by both me and others), but I find myself unable to get off the U2 love train entirely because they are too big a part of my life and I adore their old stuff so much. Sure, there's other bands and artists I love, but none of them have ever quite been able to take the place of U2 in my heart. Maybe I'm too old to walk away. Who knows, it might be different if I were younger.

You know what indra, I don't know you very well, as we tend to stay in rather different forums here, but I feel I know you well enough to realize that you are different from many others that aren't fans of modern U2. The thing is, you don't like newer U2, and that's fine, most of us here have absolutely no problem with that, but you also don't linger around the U2 related forums constantly voicing your opinions on WHY you don't like this or that. You don't try to convince us you're right.

I think that might be sort of what you were saying anyway, people need to move on. There are quite a few these days who just hang around the forums bitching and bitching about this or that "Wutz the deel wit teh Vertigox211!!1!!".

But I just want to say I appreciate you for that. :)

Lancemc said:
You know what indra, I don't know you very well, as we tend to stay in rather different forums here, but I feel I know you well enough to realize that you are different from many others that aren't fans of modern U2. The thing is, you don't like newer U2, and that's fine, most of us here have absolutely no problem with that, but you also don't linger around the U2 related forums constantly voicing your opinions on WHY you don't like this or that. You don't try to convince us you're right.

I think that might be sort of what you were saying anyway, people need to move on. There are quite a few these days who just hang around the forums bitching and bitching about this or that "Wutz the deel wit teh Vertigox211!!1!!".

yeah, but he's an indie snob. :eyebrow:

:wink: no, I completely agree with this

I think the way you feel about U2 is how I feel about REM these days. I haven't bought the last two CDs, and this use to be a band that I bought everything at the midnight sale. But I'm still a fan.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I think the way you feel about U2 is how I feel about REM these days. I haven't bought the last two CDs, and this use to be a band that I bought everything at the midnight sale. But I'm still a fan.

See, and I think 'Leaving New York' is much better than anything on HTDAAB.

Lancemc said:

:yes: I'll second every word of this post :up:.

Angela

Lancemc said:

Well I've had nearly a decade and a half to get over it, but I must admit I did feel hurt and betrayed when U2 and I "parted ways" so to speak. It really was a bit like the breakup of a romantic relationship, and if I had this forum to bitch on at that time I probably would have tried to make people side with me in the breakup. And I know I threw out many "Oh, U2 is sooo past" comments during that time. I think with a band such as U2 the music can mean so much to people...and there does seem to be more of a relationship between artist and fan than with many very popular groups, that when that breakup happens there can be great anger. For most people it will fade with time.

Now I can enjoy the songs I like and read about other people's great times at shows, but I can also understand the incredible disappointment fans feel when they realise their relationship isn't what it used to be.

Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

I'm a bit that way with REM as well, but my REM fandom was never as intense as my U2 (or Church/Kilbey) fandom, so the fallout wasn't quite so hard.

Originally posted by VertigoGal
yeah, but he's an indie snob. :|

Well of course! :wink:

(I'm also a she. :) )

VertigoGal said:

dammit:ohmy: im sorry...i think it was your avatar that threw me off! lol

no problem. :) My avatar is a self portrait of Steve Kilbey.

I still think of beli as an angry blue crustacean because of her avatar. :D

indra said:

no problem. :) My avatar is a self portrait of Steve Kilbey.

I still think of beli as an angry blue crustacean because of her avatar. :D

:lmao:

...i need a new avatar...if i can't change my name to one that represents a song i actually like, i could at least get a cool avatar or something...

btw- i just noticed that the dude in your avatar looks just a tiny bit like the guy in you signature pic :hmm:

back in 1987, i became a fan by Joshua Tree. when Achtung baby came out, i was like "what in the fuck?" and loved it, but was afraid they were gonna start to go TOO far into some direction and lose themselves.. but i was wrong.. they were in turn.. actually becoming more of who they were and were growing into and actually finding their true direction.. and taking risks. instead of getting into the pool of the mainstream then. they took risks and went to a different extreme. while each album changes so damn dramnatically... their music also changes with me it seems.
pweople speak about "its not the music.. it was the ditrection *I* was going into and the music didnt fit who i was then".. its funny.. with u2 and me.. we were always on the same track. LOL. i was lucky that way. but i kinda know what you mean.
but just because you might not like tghe last 2 albums.. or tours.. doesnt mean you are now not a fan. what about their past? isnt that still importsant to you>?

honestly.. other than like 2 songs on this latest album.. i really dont like the new album at all. and some other things are starting to piss me off regarding U2. i admit that.. but i still love them.. and start to more so all of the time despite that. weird huh? i just start to love the older things even more and more... and they still have that magic... i just think u2 might be going way too far into a direction that they may want to tak a break for a while and reconnect with themselves... and maybe even do a whole Pre-Achtung Baby hiatus for a while. i think they are trying too hard for something.. but in turn... fucking it up.
musically i think they still have it... its just.. theyre not connecting with that side of themselves right now and need to step back and refresh. we all need to do that. they are setting goals and deadlines for themselves when
its not gonna work like it used to. you must step back to reflect and look forward in a clear state of mind.

yes, i really miss the old days.. like when u2 stood against the governments and spoke out what they really felt.. like back in the ZooTV days especially. THAT is the Bono I grew up idolizing.... then after Pop... and bewteen that and Elevation... he started getting wrapped up in this weird government cycle and he just seems... different somehow. hes not as... himself.. as he once was. i know.. hes tired... other things in life going on.. of course! but something else seems different. i know he has to kiss up to these governments to get his way.. but wheres the old bono that had ways of doing this in his own way and making loud points and rebelling? wheres the zootv bono? i think they truly were at their peak artistically and personally during then.
wheres the carefree, goofy, fun-loving Bono of the Zoo and Pop period? i stepped back a little after that and didnt really get back into the loop until sometimes lastyear.. and was like "what the hell happened in the process of a year????" all of a sudden... it was weird. i think bono needs abreak from these politicians. soemthing seems weird ever since he got involved with them... more so after 2000... just something seems weird.

i will always love u2. they will always be my favrite band. they will always have that emotional link for me. whether they put out complete shit from now on or whatever. its what they have left imprinted in my soul.. not what they are doing now. i state no requirements for a band to remain my favorite band.

if the older stuff still touches your soul like no other.. then... keep with that.

elevation tour... and all that you cant leave behind... i wasnt very thrilled with at first exceopt for Beautiful Day.. but later started to love it so much that i listen to it all of the time. i think i start to like beautiful day more each week. a great tour. just watch the boston and slane dvd;s... that magic.. is very there.. and bono.. is also.. very there.

yes, the album wasnt as perfect as achtung baby... but some on.. Kite, New York, Beautiful Day...stuck in a moment, walk on..(last 2 arent like.. lets say Mysterious ways.. or One... ), but damn... it was a great period.. and stand on ssome of these alone regardless of other album songs shortcomings. the band was IN it emotionally.. and thats all that counts.
they were going thruogh their own thing and it was in the music. its like a diary for them. i just follow along.

now, i think people have way too high expectation for U2. they expect them to keep popping out an Achtung baby each album. actually.. yeah.. u2 is a band that can do such a thing.. but they are human and are allowed to do whaetver they want to do. just this last album, i feel they started losing touch with it and themselves.

but... i think the next album might be very different. in a good way. might be a longer break in between...
but they still got it. and the passion.

I JUST DONT WANT THOSE FREAKY POLITICIANS STEALING OUR BONO'S SOUL!!!

Back
Top Bottom