Single Greatest Line Of Any U2 Song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
my favourite is a line from Acrobat, but Bono shamelessly stole it from a woman(can't remember her name)
A woman needs a man, like a fish needs a bycicle

and I second Utoo with the So Cruel lyrics!

Galeongirl said:
my favourite is a line from Acrobat, but Bono shamelessly stole it from a woman(can't remember her name)
A woman needs a man, like a fish needs a bycicle

Isn't that from Trying To Throw Your Arms Around The World?

The complete lyrics to Bad, but if I had to narrow it down....

"If I could through myself set your spirit free"

not really a great lyric, but the way its sung, it makes 11 O'Clock Tick Tock always stuck in my head. "Hear the children crying, and I know it's time to go. I hear the children crying, take me home."

But my favorite lyrics of all time, not just from U2, is in Kite. "I'm not afraid to die, I'm not afraid to live, and when I'm flat on my back, I hope to feel like I did."
And to elaborate, "'cause hardness, it sets in. You need some protection, the thinner the skin. I want you to know, that you don't need me anymore. I want you to know, you don't need anyone, or anything at all.
Who's to say where the wind will take you, Who's to say what it is will break you. I don't know, which way the wind will blow. Who's to know when the time has come around. Don't want to see you cry. I know that this is not goodbye

BonoVoxSupastar said:
You got to cry with out weeping
Talk without speaking
Scream without raising your voice

:yes:

This gives me chills everytime I hear it, especially live.

That and basically all of One Tree Hill, also One Step Closer, and a lot of other stuff ... it's so hard for me to chose here.

I like this one from Kite:

"I'm not afraid to die. I'm not afraid to live. And when I'm flat on my back, I hope to feel like I did."

Another one from God Part II:

"Heard a singer on the radio, late last night. Says he's going to kick the darkness till it bleeds daylight."

Oh dont sorrow, no dont weep
For tonight, at last
I am coming home

I love you cause I need to, not because I need you

:wink:

Hmm, this is hard. The Wanderer and One tree hill could be candidates too. I'll have a look at the booklets on the albums again.

hmmm, maybe some lyrics from Boomerang I or 4th of July... oh wait, it's instrumental :ohmy: :wink:

Ok, I love these lines from Like A Song:drool: :

"A generation without name, ripped and torn,
Nothing to loose, nothing to gain"

"Angry words won't stop the fight.
Two wrings won't make it right.
A new heart is what I need,
Oh God, make it bleed":rockon:

actually, the whole last verse from this song...^

"IIIIIIIIIIIIII remember
When we could sleep oooooooon stones ":drool:

Last edited:
I can't do my "single greatest line" because it would take a long time and I'd come up with a long list (some of which have been mentioned already). But there's something about some songs in their entirety that can't be captured by just a few excerpted lines. The whole song, music and all the brilliant lyrics together (which just aren't quite as good apart), just builds to evoke something. Big ones in this category for me are Gone, Stay, Bad, Kite, Walk On, A Sort of Homecoming (easier to excerpt but not the same as all together), One Tree Hill (again easier but the whole is better than the sum of its parts). Mercy too. Songs in this category tend to be on my list of favorite U2 songs as well.

And I agree that
I'm just hanging on/to watch you go down
My Love

is incredible and spine chilling. Also,
Between the horses of love and lust/we are trampled underfoot
is also brilliant, along with
she wears my love like a see through dress/her lips say one thing, her movements something else

So Cruel is full of brilliant lyrics but for some reason it doesn't add up to more for me like the songs I listed above (it's still one of my favorites though).

Too many to pick just one - I made this list awhile ago of my favorite lines to the songs.

1. I can't change the world
But I can change the world in me - Rejoice

2. And your earth moves beneath
Your own dream landscape - A Sort of Homecoming

3. So sad to beseach your love so head on
Stay in this night, stay tonight in a lie - Unforgettable Fire

4. If I could throw this lifeless
Lifeline to the wind - Bad

5. To lose along the way the spark that set the flame - Indian
Summer Sky

6. The cities a flood and our love turns to rust - WTSHNN

7. On a bed of nails she makes me wait - WOWY

8. Scream without raising your voice - Running to Stand Still

9. A link is lost, the chain undone - Red Hill Mining Town

10. Like a siren she calls to me - In Gods Country

11. As the day begs the night for mercy - OTH

12. In the wind we hear their laughter
In the rain we see their tears - Mothers of the Dissapeared.

Last edited:
13. You miss too much these days if you stop to think - Until
the End of the World

14. Every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief
All kill their inspiration and sing about their grief - The Fly

15. To touch is to heal, to hurt is to steal - MW

16. Feel like trash, you make me feel clean - Ultraviolet

After these theres just way to many.

We turn away and face the dark enduring chill
As the day begs the night for mercy, love.

They want you to be Jesus
They'll go down on one knee
They'll want their money back if you're alive at 33
And your turning tricks
With your crucifix
You're the star

Oh, love, like a screaming flower
Love dying every hour.

Varitek said:
I can't do my "single greatest line" because it would take a long time and I'd come up with a long list (some of which have been mentioned already). But there's something about some songs in their entirety that can't be captured by just a few excerpted lines. The whole song, music and all the brilliant lyrics together (which just aren't quite as good apart), just builds to evoke something. Big ones in this category for me are Gone, Stay, Bad, Kite, Walk On, A Sort of Homecoming (easier to excerpt but not the same as all together), One Tree Hill (again easier but the whole is better than the sum of its parts). Mercy too. Songs in this category tend to be on my list of favorite U2 songs as well.

And I agree that
I'm just hanging on/to watch you go down
My Love

is incredible and spine chilling. Also,
Between the horses of love and lust/we are trampled underfoot
is also brilliant, along with
she wears my love like a see through dress/her lips say one thing, her movements something else

So Cruel is full of brilliant lyrics but for some reason it doesn't add up to more for me like the songs I listed above (it's still one of my favorites though).

I was listening to So Cruel yesterday, and thought the line you mentioned above is ONE of Bono's best lines, too.

There are just so many, couldn't pick one. Every one's posts have made me say-"Oh, YES, that one is great!"

And the music that the rest of U2 make to envelope Bono's lyrics sends me to another place altogether.

Most recently it's

I was drinking some wine, and it turned into blood
what's the use of religion, if you're any good ?

"i cant change the world, but i can change the world in me... rejooooooooice"

my signture as well

"love is blindness, i dont wanna see, wont wrap the night, around me..."

Back
Top Bottom