Shuttlecock XXII: Summer of Laz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:hyper: :applaud:

It's always nice when you drop by, even when you aren't throwing shekels at poor souls like myself.

Also shocked that you're missing this tour, and while circumstances beyond your control seemed to intervene, it doesn't seem like you're too broken up about it. I don't think I would have predicted even just a few years ago that we'd both be in that same boat.

I mean, I'd love to hear Acrobat. It would mean a lot. But, there are two factors that kept me from feeling too upset about missing it:

1 - I didn't think a show supporting the latest album with a few songs from the one prior would be U2's best foot forward. Of course I was going, and looking forward to it, but, no, I didn't feel too bad about missing most of those songs.

2 - While I know reactions were mixed, getting to see The Joshua Tree performed in full, with ASOH played as well sort of represents a high point for me. Favorite album and favorite song all in one night (well, two nights total). Toss in NYD and IWF AND BAD for Pasadena 1 and, for me personally, I'm not going to ever see a stronger setlist as it pertains to my own specific tastes. Not saying they were the best shows I'd ever seen, but they were certainly the most meaningful.

That all being said, without knowing what anyone else is saying about it, seeing what they've added recently makes me sort of wish I was seeing an upcoming show.

But, no, I was a hell of a lot less upset about missing the three shows then I could have ever predicted.

Last edited:
I think the baby is my favourite joke in all my 13-odd years of being on this forum. I always know it's coming but I still laugh, because it's so scarce. Good to hear from you, NSW.

LOL I know how much you like it and the sheer beauty of it is that you can see it coming a mile away and yet I refuse to ever switch it up and go with something different just to fool everyone.

Good to be heard from, hope all is well with you.

I have to say, if JT30 is the last time I ever see them, I won't be too upset. Those two shows were monumental, I cried so many times on both nights. Don't think any show will ever surpass the first U2 show I saw on Vertigo (for a myriad of reasons) but to hear Joshua Tree live in full, the song that makes me more emotional than any other to ever exist, ASOH one night, tremendous versions of Bad both nights, that blistering night one I Will Follow, having flown halfway across the world and hung out with a few members here... that's a hell of a way to go out for me and I can safely say without having seen this tour or really even read much about it other than setlists, there's no way in hell it could surpass JT30.

And yes, I'm extremely well, best I've ever been :)

I just listened to Dirty Day from ZooTV and if you'd like a laugh I recommend playing that rehearsal audio after you've listened to the 93 live version.

Speaking of which, I attended Games 1 and 2 in Boston (as well as Game 3 in LA). I had not been to Fenway in ages and despite the cold weather, it was a really great environment. I tried to take in as much as I could/time would allow. I'm glad I was lucky enough to attend.

Should have PM'ed me and let me know you were in town for the games, would have bought you a Fenway Frank or bagel with lox or something.

Always good to see you pop in to Interference.

2 - While I know reactions were mixed, getting to see The Joshua Tree performed in full, with ASOH played as well sort of represents a high point for me. Favorite album and favorite song all in one night (well, two nights total). Toss in NYD and IWF AND BAD for Pasadena 1 and, for me personally, I'm not going to ever see a stronger setlist as it pertains to my own specific tastes. Not saying they were the best shows I'd ever seen, but they were certainly the most meaningful.

I think all of us who saw Pasadena 1 know that we witnessed a special show that night. What a setlist!

I can't get it out of my mind, in the sense that I honestly think it's one of the worst things I've ever heard from this band. I cannot even begin to fathom how they think this is what people go to concerts to hear.

I agree with this 100%.

This is a powerhouse live song. Why they’d give it that treatment after not playing it for 25 years is mind boggling.

Play the fucking song as it’s meant to be played and you’ll have the true fans buzzing and ecstatic, and the casuals seeking out the gem on the album they may have never heard before.

U2 have been screwing up their own great old songs for years, see also: Mercy. It's what they do. I think their consultants have a lucrative future ahead of them, as nothing succeeds like failure, in that world.

[hot take]

I think that Love Is Blindness might be top 5 U2. Incredible song. One of Bono's greatest vocals(on the album), one of his best lyrics, heavy emotionally, so much pain and grief and despair(both from Bono and in Edge's guitar and Adam's bass). It is haunting, and really not very U2-ish in style...the album version is uncharacteristically restrained and not at all looking for any of the big choruses or releases they usually go for. I feel like it could've been a Cure song or something. I can almost hear Robert Smith singing it.

Anyway, yeah, I think it's one of the greatest things they've ever done.

[/hot take]

It's restrained the way With or Without You (albeit a very different song) is restrained; but there's plenty of release there at the end, with that extended Edge freakout. A great, great track indeed.

The restraint on the album version works, but the pay-off of the live version, with Edgeś best guitar solo, makes it a lot better still.

I listened to the speechified version of that song.. aside from Bono talking too much, the first verse just sounded like a 93 vocal take played over the PA.

I just had a thought this morning of yet another reason they could/should play Please.

They could play it instead of One during the encore. Ties into experience and all that bullshit. And then towards the end the lyrics are "love / is big / it's bigger than us / but love is not what you're thinking of..."

Which you could then segue into Love is Bigger, do the cathartic thing like they did with Please/Streets on Pop.

A man can dream.

if you mean no "september, streets capsizing" part, hard pass.

even if you were to stop right before "it's what lovers steal", the climax of that song and crash at the end are what gives it such emotional resonance.

it's a decent idea on paper but i don't think it would work if they actually tried it.

Part of me would love for them to revive Please on this tour, but I feel like Bono would just give a speech over a guitar intro and then they’d just go into One instead.

Part of me would love for them to revive Please on this tour, but I feel like Bono would just give a speech over a guitar intro and then they’d just go into One instead.

Bono makes a lame speech over Edge noodling around a Please theme, Adam recites the "streets capsizing" part, and then it goes into American Soul.

1. The Blackout
2. Lights of Home
3. I Will Follow
4. Gloria
5. Dirty Day
6. Zoo Station
7. The Fly
8. Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
9. Until the End of the World
10. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses

11. Elevation
12. Vertigo
13. Even Better Than the Real Thing
14. Acrobat
15. Red Flag Day
16. Best Thing
17. Summer of Love
18. Pride (In the Name of Love)
19. Own Way
20. New Year's Day
21. City of Blinding Lights

22. Please
23. Love is Bigger
24. 13

1. The Blackout
2. Lights of Home
3. I Will Follow
4. Gloria
5. Dirty Day
6. Zoo Station
7. The Fly
8. Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
9. Until the End of the World
10. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses

11. Elevation
12. Vertigo
13. Even Better Than the Real Thing
14. Acrobat
15. Red Flag Day
16. Best Thing
17. Summer of Love
18. Pride (In the Name of Love)
19. Own Way
20. New Year's Day
21. City of Blinding Lights

22. Please
23. Love is Bigger
24. 13

weird flex but ok

Hey all, per my post a couple weeks ago:

The crowdfunding campaign for my feature film has 4 days left. Big, big thanks to those of you who've helped out so far. It means a lot. I know a few others had said they planned to, so this is just a reminder that the clock is winding down.

Our goal may not be reached, but what we have raised so far is definitely going to speed up the process, so I hope to share more encouraging news about its status in the near future!

Red Raincoats - feature

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom