Shuttlecock XII - u wish Cobbler would Stay (Faraway, not Close!) from making threads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses so much. Without it and Ultraviolet I may not be the person I am today; they were the two songs that encouraged me to stick it out with what would go on to become my second favourite album of all time.

WGRYWH is very tightly structured and has that singer/songwriter quality that the band wants to tap into these days, but man is it a great song. There's just enough texture and darkness to it to make you forget that the melody is sticky sweet.

Yeah, the production is so important on that one. I can only imagine how awful it would be on No Line, for instance.

But it's always been my favorite on there, even if it's "traditional" compared to most of the other tracks.

And rather ridiculous that it got mostly dropped midway through the ZooTV tour. And frustrating that the brilliant electric Vertigo version only popped up a few times. They sometimes have no clue when they've got something special.

But they are very aware that they can grind a good song into the dirt by needlessly playing it live, In a Little While I'm looking at you...

Yeah, the production absolutely makes Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses. That dark and grimy guitar tone like a wind in an alley.

I'd pay good money to see U2 pulling out any unplayed Passengers songs in general.

Oh please. None of the remaining songs would excite anyone, even the most avid Passengers fan, in a live setting. They weren't designed to do so. Slug and AFN could work as a snippet or truncated version, and Native might work as a cool intro, other than that don't waste your money.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Oh please. None of the remaining songs would excite anyone, even the most avid Passengers fan, in a live setting. They weren't designed to do so. Slug and AFN could work as a snippet or truncated version, and Native might work as a cool intro, other than that don't waste your money.

it's more for curiosity rather than good performance. One Minute Warning could be...interesting?

Speak for yourself. Always Forever Now would absolutely cook live. Can you imagine that bass thumping you right in the chest while Edge plays that searing guitar line? The beat is really driving too. Hell yeah that would be worth a shot.

Added bonus: Bono would have to shut the fuck up for a minute and let the band play. Maybe. I guess he could freestyle a verse about love being always, forever, and now.

Last edited:
Speak for yourself. Always Forever Now would absolutely cook live. Can you imagine that bass thumping you right in the chest while Edge plays that searing guitar line? The beat is really driving too. Hell yeah that would be worth a shot.

Added bonus: Bono would have to shut the fuck up for a minute and let the band play. Maybe. I guess he could freestyle a verse about love being always, forever, and now.

Great song, but full version cook live? Let's be honest. When was the last time(or ever) have you seen a song like that "cook" in an arena or stadium?

Great song, but full version cook live? Let's be honest. When was the last time(or ever) have you seen a song like that "cook" in an arena or stadium?

Stick a decent light show on it and I'd argue it serves a similar purpose to the Crazy Tonight remix.

I find it funny that we're arguing about this because it's never ever ever ever ever going to happen. But if it did, it wouldn't kill the pacing.

I didn't mean to derail the thread by implying that U2 would perform a Passengers song live.:sexywink:

Or did I. Anyhow, Slug would have a lot of potential, in this bizarro-universe where such things happened.

Beach Sequence, possibly slightly truncated, would work extremely well as an intro to New Year's Day.

And rather ridiculous that it got mostly dropped midway through the ZooTV tour. And frustrating that the brilliant electric Vertigo version only popped up a few times. They sometimes have no clue when they've got something special.

Yeah. Hearing the electric version during Vertigo is still my favorite live U2 moment.

I like The Fly and UTEOTW as much as anyone, but Slug would really make my day if I ever heard it live. Some sort of segue into Streets if Zooropa goes missing from the non-European shows. Get to it U2.

I felt some of the more upbeat Passengers songs would have been cool for the intermission segment on this past tour, as that's the only chance we'd ever have to get them in a live setting.

are you kidding? i'd lose it to hear united colours.

everyone else would be bored, but the criterion here is implied that only one fan needs to be excited.

I just wanted to see Edge spazzing out making crazy noise like Nelis Cline or Tom Morello often would in their shows. why are people kinda arguing?

Because a fight breaks out every time Passengers gets brought up. This is very common.

My theory behind this bizarre phenomenon is that, because its status as a U2 album is questionable, it falls under the broad category of "not U2 music" and is therefore fair game to be treated the same way EYKIW treats other non-U2 albums: like total garbage.

Last edited:
LM it's worth remembering that BVS has a mild stroke anytime anyone talks about Passengers in a positive light, and has a full-scale mental breakdown when someone suggests it's a U2 album, so best to smile politely, nod and walk away.

I take solace in the fact that, no matter how slow things get, no matter how inactive U2 may become, Passengers arguments will be an ever-replenishing wellspring of conversation.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom