Shuttlecock X: Cobbler gets on stage and forces U2 into a medley of Outkast covers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, 8 concerts in 14 days. I'm physically exhausted, but this was so much fun.

Some of the setlists were less creative than I would have wanted or expected for a long residency, but I had a blast every time. Tonight was probably one of those nights that don't look as good on paper as live. I was all the way up in the nosebleeds but the crowd was into the whole concert. Bruce was a lot of fun, and I thought both songs sounded really good. 40 is so fucking awesome and magical, I wish they would play it more (it was, I believe, my second time hearing it). It worked beautifully with Bono holding the spotlight at the end.

Despite the static sets, I got to hear Bad for the first time, October, Two Hearts Beat As One, Gloria, All I Want Is You, The Troubles, Party Girl, Satellite of Love and 40. And Shine Like Stars once. Nights 2 and 6, in particular, were pretty magical.

Some take-aways from the tour:

- The opening 4 songs are such an awesome stretch. I almost feel like they could rotate Vertigo out for one of the oldies, the crowd has loved all of the oldies in the #2 rotation.

- Invisible is fantastic and works pretty well live. It takes time for people to realize that it's happening, but from the "I am here" part onwards the crowd was really into it.

- Pride, WOWY and Beautiful Day unfailingly registered the best crowd reactions. I'm as tired of the old warhorses as anyone, but these are songs they should probably keep in the set. People are genuinely ecstatic to hear them.

- At the same time, if they play stuff passionately, people will enjoy it. I feel that many people in the stands didn't know Gloria or even OOC or The Electric Co. But the performances were generally so good that it didn't matter. They can do more of that.

- The Innocence part of the show is pretty tight. I guess Song for Someone is the only thing that I actively dislike. But the Experience part needs to get stronger. Zooropa and Pop stuff would work so well after (or even instead of) EBTTRT. However, we didn't get Discotheque today even with the fans dressed as Village People on stage, so alas, it's not happening.

- The only aspect that I think I overdosed on during this long residency was the Pride/Bullet/Streets rants. I can't complain too much, as this is not a show designed for multiple views, but I realized I was growing increasingly bothered at these fragments.

- I met NSW and it was great.

I figured Discotheque wasn't going to happen (it needs rehearsal for one thing, it's never going to be played spontaneously) but I really thought that when Bono brought the U2BR people on stage he would at least sing a line or two from it!

bruces02.jfif

It's not that funny. Maybe it's because I haven't seen The Godfather? Although I've seen enough stuff to get it. Bono and Edge are funny before it goes on too long and the other two don't even do anything.

First Bruce... Now this. You're turning into a grumpy old man :wink:.

I see the line thread got closed... That was a fun read :crack:

Yes, you should watch The Godfather to get it.

In fact, you should watch The Godfather because it's the frickin' Godfather.

Back
Top Bottom