September 20, 2009 - Gilette Stadium Foxboro - Massachusetts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Had an awesome time! It felt to me the crowd took awhile to warm up- I think things began to really rock after the 3rd or so song. Otherwise, it was a great show. I was able to take advantage of two vantage points and I have to give due credit to viewing the stage from the front-- there is something about taking the full view of it and all its glory from the front.

Tonight I had behind the stage and I felt that was a whole other story which I will post in the appropriate thread.

What number were you? We had #120 - #123. I was also bummed when we finally got inside the stadium, we were told that we were not allowed to sit (at MSG, everyone sat on the floor until the opening band came out). My toes were killing me before U2 even came out, and they still hurt today! :sad: We were almost dead center on the pitch rail, and it was perfect for my short family! There is definitely something to be said for a totally unobstructed view!!!:drool:

I was #71. Lauramullen told me she met you. Why did I not meet you? Or did I? Were you also at the meetup? There was a bunch of people to my left that I didn't get to meet. I was seated next to Laura at the bar.

I'm okay with not being able to sit down inside the stadium. At least I didn't expect we were going to be able to do that. The lady next to me did though, because she had been standing since 2pm in the line due to that misunderstanding. The people around us were okay with it, so she was able to do it. It's funny because the two ladies behind me first thought she was passing out and panicked. :lol:

:wave: vjacqb, It was great meeting you..

Very nice meeting you too, blm! :hug:

If you have that one in a higher resolution, I'd be grateful. It would be perfect as a wallpaper. :drool:

:wave: Just messaged you a copy of it at higher res :drool:

Thanks joerags! My camera is very hit or miss at concerts, and I was so pleased to see it wanted to work for me that night, when I wanted it to the most. I'm going to post some of my more spazzy shots later, heh

vjacqb, that's aweful about those people cutting the line. There is no excuse to do that. We're all there to have a great time, we paid money for that, why do people think the world revolves around them and their experience? I have no pity for people who do that then get kicked out. I agree, though, the security at the show was, for the most part, excellent. I had a really nice security lady in front of me at the rail and we talked between bands (she told me to tell her when Bono came by, and she got to sneak quite a few peeks!). It made the waiting go by faster, and made it all much better. I was very impressed. :up: (well, except for when I was told by multiple people to wait in the regular GA queue when the Red Zone had a seperate one RIGHT THERE.... oy.)

The settings got all messed up on my camera, nothing came out too well either night, I shot a bunch of video clips the first night, mostly because they're HD and I can take still out of those, but I can't wait to see other people's photos! This is what I had to do on my last Vertigo show, because my camera was MIA at that time.

I just read this in the atU2 e-mail. That is so cool, I'd love to hear it

Boston Phoenix: Click, click: What U2 hears when they hear U2

Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:54 pm (PDT)

If you happened to take a cigarette break on the north concourse of
Gillette Stadium last night, about a dozen songs into U2's US-tour
kickoff, you might've noticed two young men who were not acting like
everyone else. For one thing, they were facing away from the stage --
a view that afforded them, if anything, a look across Patriot Place,
in the direction of the ticketless crowd standing three deep in
front of the CBS Experience. For another thing, they were wearing
studio-monitor headphones and shit-eating grins.

It seemed an awful expensive way to listen to your iPod. Then I saw
'em offering a few passers-bye a listen to the headphones, and decided
to take a closer look. "Listen to this," one of them said, and placed
the headphones on my ears.

They were listening to U2 playing behind us, in real time -- and the
sound was impeccably crisp, full-bodied, with perfect instrument
separation. Bono's voice had the kind of standing-next- to-you-in- a-
crowded-elevator feeling that no stadium speakers (and very few live
albums) can reproduce. The sound through the headphones reminded me of
a tape a friend once gave me of the Rolling Stones playing in
Australia in 1973, taped off the soundboard, in which you can hear
Mick Jagger's breath on the mic in between verses. Commercial
recordings clean that sort of thing up, so hearing that faraway voice
so close, and unedited, delivers a startling intimacy.

So how'd they do it? Part serendipity, part genius: headphones-guy was
plugged into a pager-sized Sennheiser wireless receiver -- the type of
device that has replaced on-stage monitors for musicians as the way
they hear themselves during the concert. He believes his Sennheiser is
identical to the model Bono uses -- something like this one. And
during soundcheck, he'd simply run through the various channels until
he found the one the soundboard was broadcasting on. Bingo.

There was another big difference between what was on the headphones
and what the larger audience heard: the subtle but unmistakable sound
of a click track. You could even hear a soft voice at the beginning of
each song counting the band in, "One, two, three, four." To longtime
U2 fans, it will come as no surprise that the band uses one -- lots of
artists do, especially when their live show incorporates triggered
samples or effects. The presence of the click track led headphones-guy
to believe he might be listening to the mix being piped to Larry
Mullen's headset, though there was no way to be sure. Listening to the
band the way they hear themselves suggested a plausible explanation
for the size of Bono's ego: maybe he thinks everyone hears him this way.

Replicating this experiment yourself could get expensive: Sennheiser
receivers run about $800 -- about the price of three decent U2
tickets. But given the degree of outrage expressed by some upper-deck
fans about the quality of audio at last night's show (for the record:
the sound from my seat, in the lower deck, was very good), you could
certainly see some cheaper version of this technology -- or perhaps a
venue-operated version, perhaps a twist on the way Gillette gets a few
bucks for binocular rentals -- becoming an easy upsell.

Tech peoples: someone tell us an easier/cheaper way to patch into a
rock band's monitor signal -- there's gotta be one, right?

I wasn't at the meet-up because I was unable to get to Foxboro before 10:30ish. Oh well, perhaps tomorrow we can meet at Giants Stadium. :)

Here is my review of the Sunday show, w/ photos from both nights:
U2 @ Gillette Stadium - Foxboro, MA (Pics/Review)

p588657005-4.jpg

p1018430843-4.jpg

p541832042-3.jpg

p637486043-4.jpg

i've got more shots here

From the gate to my "seat". Thought i should film it and keep it as a souvenir from my first ever GA concert. Here it is, maybe YOU are in it ... :wave:

YouTube - U2 360 Foxboro MA 9/20/2009 - From the gates to my "seat"

Gates opened at 5h30PM, they let like 250 people inside then they closed the gates for a few minutes because lines were disorganised. Problem is i made it in and my girlfriend did not !!! So i had to wait for her and thats why im shooting from inside.

Sorry the camera is shaking a lot, even with the built-in anti-shake! This was my first ever GA concert and i was so nervous about the whole GA thing. Will i make it to the inner circle, youll see!

From the gate to my "seat". Thought i should film it and keep it as a souvenir from my first ever GA concert. Here it is, maybe YOU are in it ... :wave:

Gates opened at 5h30PM, they let like 250 people inside then they closed the gates for a few minutes because lines were disorganised. Problem is i made it in and my girlfriend did not !!! So i had to wait for her and thats why im shooting from inside.

Sorry the camera is shaking a lot, even with the built-in anti-shake! This was my first ever GA concert and i was so nervous about the whole GA thing. Will i make it to the inner circle, youll see!

I love this! :applaud: I feel like I'm doing it all over again. I forgot halfway through that this wasn't the FIRST time they let people in, so I was wondering where all the mad running was and why everyone was listening to security. People were doing marathon sprints around me.

At 3 minutes you walk by me! Well, all I can see is my brother's really brightly colored beige shirt. Very cool. I tried to take a trip to the inner circle, but got lost and almost ended up backstage. I sort of went halfway down the backstage ramp (where the band were going to be coming in), looking for the toilet, before a guy was like WAIT! You don't have a badge! Get out of there!! Oops! Too bad I didn't act more confidently, I bet I could have just walked back there! :hmm:

What number were you? We had #120 - #123. I was also bummed when we finally got inside the stadium, we were told that we were not allowed to sit (at MSG, everyone sat on the floor until the opening band came out). My toes were killing me before U2 even came out, and they still hurt today! :sad: We were almost dead center on the pitch rail, and it was perfect for my short family! There is definitely something to be said for a totally unobstructed view!!!:drool:

I'm so glad you and the family ended up with a great spot. Danielle and I ended up right in front of Adam and were very happy. My sunburn on the other hand... not so much.

Oh my gosh I know! I mean no big deal but my eyes kept wandering to it for some reason!

If you're talking about the missing pixels, apparently they didn't get it fixed by Mon. show as they were still missing...but didn't bother me. Awesome show, but after having Monday's show to compare it to, I'd have to say that the energy was so much higher on Monday night, just incredible, from both the band and the crowd.

The GA line both days was incredible (in a good way---mostly). UKTan and Boston Michelle (don't know if that's her official name...lol) and the others organized the lines so well, they are truly to be commended. They kept in constant communication with Gillette Security (who were also very accommodating). We were always kept informed every step of the way and I must admit that those of us in the front (I was #29 on Sunday) had it a bit easier than those in the back BUT we were very concerned for those in back of the different stalls as we could see that people without wristbands were pushing ahead of those with wristbands. Not a cool situation and for some, probably enough to ruin the whole experience. Fans need to respect that people who put in the time should reap the rewards, regardless if it's their 1st show or their 30th show of the tour. On Vertigo it didn't matter in a sense because of the randomness of the scanning but the idea of this GA is first come-first served. It's just rude to cut in front of someone who has been there 6 or 7 hours longer than you...or in some cases 24 hours longer than you.

and yes getting out of Gillette sucked, big time!

I had a great time at both shows.
Bono called out to JesseU2 during UltraViolet and thanked Jesse for coming.

It was great meeting all of you, and thank you for looking out for Jesse.

Cheers..

<>

missing...but didn't bother me. Awesome show, but after having Monday's show to compare it to, I'd have to say that the energy was so much higher on Monday night, just incredible, from both the band and the crowd.

!

And it was nice to meet you!
Saw you in the pit beaming.
:)

<>

PS-..
I'm wondering if some hungover roadie dropped a panel causing the pixel issue..
:angry:

Ok, I can't get over the guy in the cow suit being on the main page of U2.com today!!!

LOL

hilarious!!! We saw that guy--my hubby has the same costume, he wears it every halloween when he takes the kids trick or treating--I think he now needs to wear it to U2 concerts!

I had a great time at both shows.
Bono called out to JesseU2 during UltraViolet and thanked Jesse for coming.

<>

I will never forget this moment for as long as i live. I can't wait to listen to a recording of this show an hear him thank me again. I also got bono's setlist to make that night even more memorable!!

that's all i can say for now about this show... it blew my mind, soo fricking amazing.. i got a sore throat, thats how you can tell i had a great time!!!!

ok, gotta go get ready to go to Giants Stadium

Ok, I can't get over the guy in the cow suit being on the main page of U2.com today!!!

LOL

I am DYING. The video is hilarious, and brought a bit of a tear to my eye :wink:. I saw him at one of the Boston gigs way, way back when. How old is that suit!? :ohmy:

Back
Top Bottom