Rumor on atu2.com about live 8 + L8 Set/Songs Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Boozyuzi said:
Maybe they don't want to dominate prodeedings by playing 4 or 5 songs.

Another thought.......remember when Sting handed over the reigns to U2 in 1986 ? Maybe Bono is going to do likewise to Coldplay on Saturday.

No he won't. He'll introduce them with big words but believe me - Bono will fight to the very end in order to stay the biggest band in the world. He's like that.

bono_man2002 said:
Just One song is not enough for one of the best bands on the planet.
While Other 'lesser' artists get 2-3 songs.....Yes U2 have a gig in Vienna that night..They may not soundcheck at all for the gig..........Maybe they have a curfew ;)
there will be more songs, am pretty sure. i have now pretty much forgot about this rumour since i heard it was from the sun

KUEFC09U2 said:
there will be more songs, am pretty sure. i have now pretty much forgot about this rumour since i heard it was from the sun

I hope you're right. Let's see if we can find some clear faults on the list. Sting not playing We'll be watching You is one.

bono_man2002 said:
Unless Bono talks for 10 minutes, then they start One....hey its been done before (South Bend 10/10/01)

i think its quite likely that Bono will talk for longer than U2 play

Honestly i can see U2 playing at least 3 of their own songs...Bono been saying they want to play Pride this time because they missed out playing it at Live Aid..and of course there is Crumbs which is rumoured for them to play...

Anyway Bono i imagine would be involved in some of the scheduling this time round as he is a main player in the event unlike at Live Aid...i doubt he would be happy with only doing one song, plus Bono only ever likes to big up other bands in order to give U2 competition, they want a sparring partner but one they will inevitably beat the crap out of:wink:

There's about 70 songs listed in that article (allow 2 songs for every TBC).

Say on average one song every 5 minutes (ignoring Pink Floyd), well that's 12 songs per hour. Say 10 songs an hour to allow for speeches, adds, cuts to Africa etc..

The concert runs from about 2pm to 9pm so that's 7 hours. I'm afraid the maths adds up 7x10=70 songs.

Oh No !!!!!.....

plus this all started from an article in the sun, so we can pretty much rule that said article as 99% bollocks,

Hahaha!

Anyway, that setlist looks good! Madonna playing Ray of Light is FINE with me :D

RABIDLAMB said:

Say on average one song every 5 minutes (ignoring Pink Floyd), well that's 12 songs per hour. Say 10 songs an hour to allow for speeches, adds, cuts to Africa etc..

The concert runs from about 2pm to 9pm so that's 7 hours. I'm afraid the maths adds up 7x10=70 songs.

Oh No !!!!!.....

pink floyd - 1 song - Shine On You Crazy Diamond - that will take care of 1 and 1/4 hours of stage time

RABIDLAMB said:

Oh No !!!!!.....
well its rumoured that the killers are only playing one song also, elton john is only playing one aswell

lets just wait and see, as someone said maybe they dont wanna be seen to hogging the event

Elton John is in the same boat as U2 cos he is playing in Dublin that night and will have to fly from London to Dublin for his gig so I guess he won't be hanging around long either

Aussie rock "guru" Molly Meldrum today broadcast from the Hyde Park concert stage claiming Sgt Peppers.. will be followed by a 3 song U2 set starting with Beautiful Day.

He made no mention of the other 2 songs but an Aussie newspaper today reported that One and Bad would be performed.

LJT said:
Honestly i can see U2 playing at least 3 of their own songs...Bono been saying they want to play Pride this time because they missed out playing it at Live Aid..and of course there is Crumbs which is rumoured for them to play...

Anyway Bono i imagine would be involved in some of the scheduling this time round as he is a main player in the event unlike at Live Aid...i doubt he would be happy with only doing one song, plus Bono only ever likes to big up other bands in order to give U2 competition, they want a sparring partner but one they will inevitably beat the crap out of:wink:

:up: :lmao:

And I might add....maybe Bono just hasn't told the media what U2 is playing, since they want to surprise like the last time....So they write 'One' since that's what they often do at charity events.

From the Mirror

LIVE 8: THE RUNNING ORDER
SO, who's playing..and when? It's the burning question and The Mirror is here to help. We have seen a provisional schedule for the mega- gig and can reveal it for the first time. We have listed the proposed running order and songs, where known. A Live 8 source said: "Everyone is rehearsing what they are going to do and it's clear some things may change right up to the last minute."

PAUL McCARTNEY/U2
Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club

U2
One

COLDPLAY
Clocks, In My Place

Advertisement

COLDPLAY & RICHARD ASHCROFT
Bitter Sweet Sympathy

ELTON JOHN
Bitch Is Back, Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting

ELTON & PETE DOHERTY
Children Of The Revolution

DIDO
White Flag, Life For Rent, Thank You

STEREOPHONICS
Songs to be confirmed

REM
The One I Love, Everybody Hurts, Imitation of Life, Losing My Religion

MS DYNAMITE
Judgement Day, Dynamite, Redemption Song

KEANE
Somewhere Only We Know, Everybody's Changing

TRAVIS
Why Does It Always Rain On Me?, Sing, Turn

ANNIE LENNOX
Sweet Dreams, Sisters Are Doing It For Themselves, Walking On Broken Glass

UB40
Food For Thought, Red Red Wine

SNOOP DOGG
Songs to be confirmed

RAZORLIGHT
Vice, Golden Touch, Somewhere Else

MADONNA
Like A Prayer, Ray Of Light, Music

SNOW PATROL
Run, Chocolate

JOSS STONE
Super Duper Love, I Had A Dream

SCISSOR SISTERS
Take Your Mama, Laura

VELVET REVOLVER
Songs to be confirmed

THE KILLERS
Songs to be confirmed

STING
Every Breath You Take, reworked to include We'll Be Watching You, Message In A Bottle, Desert Rose

MARIAH CAREY
Make It Happen, Vision of Love

ROBBIE WILLIAMS
Let Me Entertain You, Feel, Rock DJ, We Will Rock You

THE WHO
Baba O'Riley, Won't Get Fooled Again

PINK FLOYD
Wish You Were Here, Money, Comfortably Numb

PAUL McCARTNEY
Long And Winding Road

FINALE
McCartney will be joined by an all-star band

why would U2 only be playing 1 song 'one' while other bands/artists are playing 3-4 songs?

IMO those set lists are a load of rubbish

guys, calm down, there are only news paper reviews, the daily mirror and the sun are 2 of the worst news papers for false rumours, lets just wait and see what happens, why would they want anyone to know the setlists before the actual show

one seems to be the obvious choice, i mean this is the culmination (in a way) of the one campaign!

I would wager that U2 were specifically askedn when and how long they wanted to play...

They made the decision for only one song (if in fact they only play one, and that one being one :wink:).

I have an even better theory.

U2 have to get away early after playing One to Vienna for soundcheck etc...

Vienna is on Central European Time which is an hour ahead of GMT.

If the Vienna concert starts around 9pm CET that's still only 8pm GMT.

I believe U2 will appear live from Vienna to play Vertigo or Beautiful Day. It will be like the Phil Collins trick this time around.

Back
Top Bottom