Revolver Upstairs, Chapel St, Prahran, Victoria Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I didn't know what the names of those buildings were, but dear Lord, they are soooo depressing. As I recall, they were all over Japan.

One of my university's libraries is brutalist. It's truly horrid. It looks less like a repository of knowledge, and more like a totalitarian prison block.

The plain ones do look like prisons.

But I acknowledge that the ones that had a lot of work put into them can look very, very cool.

Okay I know that all the shooting talk was last week and I don't want to open all that box up again, but some of the shit that guy wrote is incredibly similar to a lot of things I've seen written on forums and websites other than this one, especially ones with large groups of young men, and that shit doesn't exist in a vacuum. It's why I've kept my gender a secret on almost every forum except for this one. As for his supposed hatred of men combined with misogyny, uh, he didn't suggest all men be sent to concentration camps. It's a fucking tragedy for everyone involved and I'm not gonna claim it as solely an act of violence against women, I just think it's a huge stretch to say he hated men as much as much as women, and I think it's a pretty damn reasonable reaction for women in particular, regardless of whether they identify as feminist or not, to feel a little terrified after this event when Elliot Rodger is clearly not the only one who felt the way he did.

:up:

Benji is getting better with each listen. St Vincent's s/t is getting worse.

Agree with the first bit, disagree with the second bit.

But I acknowledge that the ones that had a lot of work put into them can look very, very cool.

I'm not sure I can think of a single brutalist design that I would consider aesthetically pleasing, attractive, or welcoming. A few really large ones are kind of impressive in a hulking, ugly, monolithic sort of way, I suppose...

I haven't heard of this term before, but I think it applies perfectly to lots of buildings from former communist countries of Eastern and South-eastern Europe. The ugliest ones are called "tin cans". Brutal ugly ones, so ugly that they're actually quite charming and could be seen as sightseeing attractions in centuries to come.

I haven't heard of this term before, but I think it applies perfectly to lots of buildings from former communist countries of Eastern and South-eastern Europe. The ugliest ones are called "tin cans". Brutal ugly ones, so ugly that they're actually quite charming and could be seen as sightseeing attractions in centuries to come.

There's a particular skyscraper in Belgrade which kind of fits the description of 'ugly but quite charming in a way,' it looks like a futuristic building that had encountered medusa eye-to-eye.

There's a particular skyscraper in Belgrade which kind of fits the description of 'ugly but quite charming in a way,' it looks like a futuristic building that had encountered medusa eye-to-eye.

That's the Western City Gate, yeah. Great idea, questionable execution.

I have to say I like brutalism. It's had its time, obviously, but... hell, they're like Romantic ruins of another age, I can't help but be kind of moved by the good stuff.

That's what I'm saying...I mean this:

rocket-zagreb-communist.jpg

Awful, IMO.

This:

ku-xlarge.jpg

Awesome. IMO

Hey! The first ones are the Rockets from Zagreb. That picture doesn't do them justice. I did some drinking in those buildings, on the stairs and in the apartments. Good times.

the Rockets aren't that bad, it's just the different types/makes of balcony windows make it uglier than it really is.

Both of those are abominable if you ask me. The second one can be made to look good with the right lighting and angle, but it lacks everyday appeal and would be far more attractive without all that drab concrete (especially since - and it seems architects and engineers are yet to realise this - concrete weathers very badly).

But then I struggle to think of much aesthetically appealling architecture since about the 1920s. It's rare that I see a building that I think is prettier for being designed post-WWII, in line with post-WWII trends; usually I think "goddamn that would've been much more attractive if it had been designed a hundred years earlier".

This is so surreal. Discussing the Rockets out of all things, buildings I can see now from the window, with a bunch of Aussies/Kiwis/Yanks who are tens of thousands of kilometers away. On a U2 forum.

And now I notice I've been here for ten years. Christ.

Just ticked past the eleven year mark for me. Christ on a hot air balloon.

This is so surreal. Discussing the Rockets out of all things, buildings I can see now from the window, with a bunch of Aussies/Kiwis/Yanks who are tens of thousands of kilometers away. On a U2 forum.

You can denounce my view if you like. Mainly because it's not much of a view at all.

It's rather horrifying to realise that, for those of us who have been here a decade or more, U2 have still managed to release just two albums in that time.

I was in fucking high school when I registered here. Good grief, that feels like a lifetime ago now.

But then I struggle to think of much aesthetically appealling architecture since about the 1920s. It's rare that I see a building that I think is prettier for being designed post-WWII, in line with post-WWII trends; usually I think "goddamn that would've been much more attractive if it had been designed a hundred years earlier".

:cough:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Lloyd_Wright:cough:

I was too tired to come up with something Pokemon related.

Back to Elliot Rodger... a friend of mine last night was telling me about a Tinder horror story. Chat was going okay until she revealed she was writing an essay on feminism, when he started attacking her, he was an MRA. After arguments went round in circles she deleted him from Tinder and FB but he kept adding her and sending her messages telling her she was an entitled bitch and on her period and heaps of other stuff. I felt sick. These people are real, they are out there, and it's scary. This particular bloke might not kill anyone, but it all feeds into this ridiculous sense of entitlement and there are many similarities to be drawn with Rodger. And I'm slowly starting to realise why this is such a big deal for women.

I've only read excerpts of that but I'm going to have to read the whole thing soon.

Back
Top Bottom