Revolver Upstairs, Chapel St, Prahran, Victoria Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think he means documented.

Though that's the first time I've seen an article state that he DIDN'T have at least Asperger's documented. I realize the guy was speaking for the family, but I wonder just how informed he was. I'm sure we'll know every single detail about the kid's life by the end of the week, regardless, so...

Guys, Travis is going to be here Thursday. My move to Los Angeles is almost complete. This is the craziest thing.

I don't care what some yes man told him, read his "manifesto" and there is clear comorbidity among several personality disorders. He exhibited terribly erratic, potentially violent behavior (putting a roommate under citizen's arrest for stealing some candles?) that he reined in when necessary to preserve his lifestyle, which smacks of antisocial personality. He's a textbook narcissist and certainly suffered from severe depression. Then there's the bizarre theatricality.

Clearly, he was very ill. Asperger's alone wouldn't result in homicidal behavior like that. Come to think of it, Asperger's isn't even recognized as a diagnosis anymore by the APA since its removal from the DSM V (granted, he may have been diagnosed a while ago). His whole diagnosis seems half baked to me. The cops certainly put no effort in, based on his own testimony.

The misogyny is, of course, a factor because it determined who he killed, but he thought so highly of himself, he would have killed anyone as long as he felt he had been wronged in some way. What frustrates me is that a lot of media outlets seem to believe that he couldn't possibly be mentally ill because he had an established rationale for his behavior, as if bipolar disorder is the only mental illness out there.

Last edited:
^yes, there has been A LOT of comment over here, and there are a lot of feminists who seem to be claiming that misogyny was the sole reason that six people died. Certainly it was a factor, but there are misogynists everywhere, and you don't see them killing people as some form of retribution.

Misogyny wasn't the sole reason, but out of everything it was the leading factor in my opinion (and through reading his 'manifesto').

^yes, there has been A LOT of comment over here, and there are a lot of feminists who seem to be claiming that misogyny was the sole reason that six people died. Certainly it was a factor, but there are misogynists everywhere, and you don't see them killing people as some form of retribution.

And, lest we forget, he killed men too. He expressed hatred not just for women, but for the alpha male personality type as well.

Basically everything that wasn't him.

But who cares, everyone's made his an argument against MRA already, there's no changing their minds about what really happened.

If people actually read his little book, as they claim to have, they would know that he was the way he was long before he discovered PUA websites. When he found them, he tried to use them as a way to explain the way he felt and even shared their insights with his parents as a way of trying to show them how he felt. I'm not saying he wasn't influenced by the sites, but the claim in the FYM thread is that the sites shaped who he was, and that's certainly not the case, if his diatribe is to be taken as a reliable narration.

It is my opinion that his reaction to his various challenges in life did not even vaguely resemble that of a well adjusted human being. I understand that shit happened to him (bear in mind that anxiety is a subjective emotion), but that isn't a typical reaction by any means. Hatred and sexism can be properly sublimated, but he was incapable of that.

The difficulty in diagnosing someone like Rodger is that they don't want treatment and often resent their therapists, which makes their testimony unreliable. Therapists can only go on their own impressions and the information given to them, which he almost certainly withheld from them, just as he did the cops who felt he had it together.

Granted, I have a psychology degree, not an anthropology degree, so maybe I'm just looking for something that isn't there. But I call them as I see them.

Last edited:
I really hope that my posts aren't being taken as suggesting he's not responsible, or that he didn't hate women, btw. I'm just frustrated that these issues become so two-dimensional. There are so many factors present here, but only one is really being looked at.

Surely we can all agree that this was a tragedy caused by a dangerous combination of mental illness, egotism, misogyny, MRA, and ease of access to guns? The particular degree to which each contributed is a matter of interpretation, especially with the culprit deceased, but I think it's hard to deny each of those factors played some sort of role.

Surely we can all agree that this was a tragedy caused by a dangerous combination of mental illness, egotism, misogyny, MRA, and ease of access to guns? The particular degree to which each contributed is a matter of interpretation, especially with the culprit deceased, but I think it's hard to deny each of those factors played some sort of role.

Not all misanthropes kill (yes, he hated more than just women), nor do all mentally ill people kill. To assume it was exclusively one factor or another does a disservice to the population under that label.

Yep, precisely my point. If we are going to understand why this happened, we need to take stock of all relevant factors, rather than arguing for the special significance of any one of them while deprecating all others. The latter lends itself to overly simplistic analysis.

(As tempting as it is to blame the MRA nutters...)

Didn't he stab some of the people too?

So we arrived in Eucla. The current local time is 9:45pm. Where I live it's 11pm, where we were last night it's 10:30pm and in the majority of the rest of Western Australia it's 9pm. Mind. Blown.

Apparently this time zone is Central Western Time, however it's no longer actually recognised the massive shopping complex and thousands of people Petrol Station, Motel and Kangaroos here and in a few other towns west of Eucla still use the old time.

So we arrived in Eucla. The current local time is 9:45pm. Where I live it's 11pm, where we were last night it's 10:30pm and in the majority of the rest of Western Australia it's 9pm. Mind. Blown.

Haha awesome. The timezone makes perfect sense from a local perspective but it must be very weird for people like you just passing through.

Okay I know that all the shooting talk was last week and I don't want to open all that box up again, but some of the shit that guy wrote is incredibly similar to a lot of things I've seen written on forums and websites other than this one, especially ones with large groups of young men, and that shit doesn't exist in a vacuum. It's why I've kept my gender a secret on almost every forum except for this one. As for his supposed hatred of men combined with misogyny, uh, he didn't suggest all men be sent to concentration camps. It's a fucking tragedy for everyone involved and I'm not gonna claim it as solely an act of violence against women, I just think it's a huge stretch to say he hated men as much as much as women, and I think it's a pretty damn reasonable reaction for women in particular, regardless of whether they identify as feminist or not, to feel a little terrified after this event when Elliot Rodger is clearly not the only one who felt the way he did.

I'm just saying, as a women, that reading what he wrote, I didn't feel terrified as a woman, I felt terrified that some quite unhinged young man, who had a very fucked up sense of entitlement, was able to legally purchase all of this weaponry. And, of course, when someone actually did try to stop him, the police only did a half-assed job.

My sentiment has never been that this had nothing to do with women, solely, but that this was an issue with so many fucked up layers, that to focus only on one seemed like an invitation to allow the other issues to continue down the road.

As for his supposed hatred of men combined with misogyny, uh, he didn't suggest all men be sent to concentration camps. It's a fucking tragedy for everyone involved and I'm not gonna claim it as solely an act of violence against women, I just think it's a huge stretch to say he hated men as much as much as women

While it's a stretch to say that the hatred is equivalent (or, rather, as pervasive in his writing), there are a great many individuals with an agenda that are willfully overlooking his hatred for the alpha male personality type. That's an important detail to understanding his motivations and if we're to take anything useful from this tragedy, people can't just pick one angle and go with it (he was a misogynist, he was mentally ill, he was spoiled, he was jealous of stronger men, etc.) Not saying you're doing that, but most publications seem to be picking sides and it's frustrating.

Last edited:
It's fucking beautiful. I'm in a particular phase of my life post-Breaking Bad where I'm really into the kind of architecture that's common here and the topography is astounding. The city itself is a smoggy, overstuffed disaster but there's so much to do here and it was time for a change anyway. Plus, Ashley is really happy with her job, so that's good.

Watching Grand Designs this evening reminds me: everybody who has ever designed a brutalist building should be locked up.

Back
Top Bottom