Review The Movie You Viewed Part VIII: Lance's Mom Takes Manhattan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Quinceanera

This has been in my Netflix queue forever, but thanks to the Sundance channel (which I now have - yay for cheap upgrades!), I watched it last night.

I just loved it.

Finally caught Crazy Heart. Of course it isn't a revelation of filmmaking, but the reviewers saying its only getting credit for its acting (and music) are wrong, it was a strong film all around. Nothing more needs to be said for Bridges, except that it's a multifaceted performance, like a real person, you never quite know what to expect with them. Gyllenhaal turns in a touching performance, and the two of them really did have great chemistry. And Colin Farrell continues to show how much of a chameleon he is, despite Bad's jealousy towards him Farrell really brought some loveable heart to his small role, and certainly brought the pipes, I liked his rendition of 'The Weary Kind' better than Ryan Bingham's. I do wish they had the actors do live-singing though.

Quinceanera

This has been in my Netflix queue forever, but thanks to the Sundance channel (which I now have - yay for cheap upgrades!), I watched it last night.

I just loved it.

We watched that in Spanish class, I was the only one who liked it.

The White Ribbon: I loved it. My friend was really confused by it, maybe because there is this strange sense of, I can't find the right word...foreboding...throughout the film.The village becomes a character itself, a character that can't find an escape from the authority, hierarchy and violence occuring inside of it...reminiscent of another film not nearly as good...2004's The Village.

I watched Hunger and Fish Tank over the weekend...I really liked both of them, I think this Michael Fassbender guy is really fantastic

Just wondering if any of you guys have seen either of these movies.

The Hurt Locker was pretty good, but not up to par with some of the great war movies out there. The ending was a bit formulaic - I think I've seen that type of ending in other films.

Just saw the Transsiberian featuring Woody Harrelson - hadn't even heard of it before tonight but it proved to be a suspenseful thriller and Ben Kingsley is always great :up:

Up in the Air
Thought it was fantastic, and totally heartbreaking. Loved the cast and the opening credits. And George Clooney might be a bit too old for me but... damn :drool:

Just saw this over the weekend as well. Really liked it. And Clooney is not too old for me :sexywink: Still charming as ever... :love: :drool: Could I be Vera's character in real life? :drool:

The Private Lives of Pippa Lee - Wow. I'm surprised by the lukewarm response this has gotten because I thought it was amazing all around. Robin Wright Penn really can do no wrong in my book. Loved this movie.

Gone With The Wind

I'm interested in the classics these days, so I chose this one to start me off.

It was good, but Scarlett O'Hara was one pain in the ass! She had everything: strength of character, good looks, wealth, a loving husband, etc. But all she cared about was Ashley. I mean, get a life! I really felt sorry for Rhett Butler.

I'm sure my reaction to this movie is pretty equal to most other people's.

The Hurt Locker

What a movie. 9 out of 10 stars just because what exactly constitutes a 10. Kathryn Bigelow definitely deserves best director.

Without trying to sound like a smart ass, what exactly impressed you so much with The Hurt Locker? I liked it. It was above average for me, though not by a great deal. The story was good, though I felt the directing felt very cliche at parts. So what was it that made you love it so much? (I'm not picking on MrsSpringsteen either. anyone who loved it can chime in here too) Again, this isnt meant to be assholish and I'm not judging your taste. I just honestly feel like I must be missing something when it comes to this one

Its a pretty straight-forward character study/adrenaline rush, either you get behind it or not. It wasn't groundbreaking, but it did a nice job building characters up over the situation which is not what most war films do.

I also don't know if there's been a war film in recent memory that does the "you-are-there" thing as well as The Hurt Locker. The atmosphere and the tension are palpable, there's an unease that just doesn't let up for the entire film. I'd also argue that the balance between the fact that these guys have a job to do and the notion that they really don't belong there is well-struck. And by "belong" I don't mean politically but in the sense that they're in foreign territory in essentially non-combat situation but still surrounded by a sense that they're not wanted or appreciated.

I like that description. I think if people are going in now, almost 2 years into the heaps of praise its been getting your expectations might be skewed, but the heart and restraint the movie brings to its subjects is unique and the tension is indescribable. I think the people crying afoul of its accuracy are missing the point as well, but there are valid complaints, I didn't particularly enjoy Renner's foray into the city on his own.

Broken Embraces - really enjoyed this one. nicely surprised by the ending, and yes, I love Cruz in subtitled!

Sx and Death 101 - 8 outta 10 for the first half. 6 for the second. film was way too long for its plot. and lack of Winona! (who looks fuking awesome!) Simon Baker has some potential for comedy or slight comedy roles. this movie has been slated as shit. I did enjoy it.

:up:

I wanna see The Gray Man soon, but hate the way the trailer spoilt it!

Everyone Says I Love You

On the one hand, some people shouldn't be allowed to sing in public. Julia Roberts, I'm looking at you.

On the other hand, I like the idea of a musical with the actors singing their own bits, whether or not they're great singers.

One of my favorite Woody films. That ending along the Seine is just pure old-fashioned movie magic of the highest calibre. Especially as you don't see it coming.

Yes, the non-professional singers thing was refreshing, some were better than others. So funny to hear Tim Roth and Edward Norton.

An exception: Drew Barrymore did not sing her own part. Apparently she's tone-deaf and sounded beyond awful.

Up in the Air. Well-written, well-directed, decently-acted. I have some major issues with the last 10 min or so of the film. Without veering into spoiler territory, why in god's name would she give him her address? That makes no sense. Also, I'm not sure I like the documentary stuff wedged in there near the end, with the real-life fired people talking about their lives. It should have been strewn throughout the film a la Reds/When Harry Met Sally, or not at all. I also thought the scene with Sam Elliott seemed a bit too fantastical compared to the tone of the rest of the film. A little sloppy.

Also, I love Clooney, but five best perfs of the year? Really? I don't see what he did aside from play himself. This ain't no Michael Clayton, Solaris, O Brother, whatever. Many more worthy candidates this year. And I'm also not sure that Kendrick and Farmiga did Oscar-level work, as good as they both are.

What I REALLY enjoyed was Fantastic Mr. Fox. Pixar's Up is a fucking joke compared to this film. Creativity that goes beyond a musical montage scene at the beginning of the film. Such great work from everyone on the technical and vocal side. I loved the art direction/production design, a real shame this wasn't nominated. And the idea that Up's screenplay was nominated and this wasn't (especially as Fox would have been in the weak adapted category) is ridiculous.

Definitely in my Top 10.

Year-end lists soon? I'm prepping mine, but still have some more I'd like to see.

Year-end lists soon? I'm prepping mine, but still have some more I'd like to see.

I still have a few left to see, but I honestly feel with last year that it'll take multiple viewings for me to have clear favorites of the year beyond my absolute top caliber. There were a lot of strong movies and performances last year, but nothing that really goes down in history for me.

Laz, my thoughts exactly re: Mr. Fox. Obviously I come across as a Wes fanboy most of the time, but it was so much better than Up for so many reasons. Definitely one of my top 5 for 2009.

I upgraded my digital cable package and ended up with a boatload of free movie channels. So I have a bunch of movies on my DVR I probably never would have gotten to on my Netflix queue!

Lady Sings the Blues

I didn't know Diana Ross had it in her! Very good, except for the awful, cheesy, 70's soundtrack when it wasn't blues/jazz/Holiday songs.

Dead Ringers

I hadn't seen this in years, and wanted to see if it was still as fucked up as my memory recalled.

Yup.

Jeremy Irons was robbed of an Oscar. ROBBED.

Oh, and also - that actress was as unattractive as I remembered her being. I couldn't understand why either of them would want to sleep with her. /shallow and mean

?

She just had sex with him/them. And shared her drugs. There wasn't anything involving the, uh, THINGS with her.

Oh there wasn't? I probably haven't seen it in 20 years.

And Irons definitely should have been nominated that year; winner Dustin Hoffman was probably the WORST of that lineup.

I was personally pulling for Gene Hackman in Mississippi Burning, although Edward James Olmos in Stand & Deliver would have been another worthy winner.

Yeah, the only thing she went through with a twin was some kinky sex involving surgical equipment ... but just used for bondage.

I thought Irons had been nominated, and just didn't win. Dang.

Bonnie and Clyde

I swear I thought I'd seen this before, but I hadn't.

That Faye Dunaway is sure purty.

I liked it better than Public Enemies, as far as movies about famous criminals from that era go.

It's movie day in the Corianderstem household!

4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days

Who doesn't love a bleak tale of illegal abortion in 1980s Romania?

I need to watch something fluffy after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom